LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 172 users in the forums

oldman9er's mid-way point Offseason + Mock

Originally posted by titan:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Why did you pass on Peterson.....I'm assuming because he had been drafted prior?

Would love for SF to draft Peterson, but yes, I figure he will go top 7 after he shows his stuff at the Combine.

Peterson is getting used by Jones.

Eh.... not really. If you had to pat one on the head so far today, it would be Jones though.
Nice work OM. This would not distress me if it became reality.
Id rather take the cb from LSU (peterson)

other than that, its a solid draft
Once again, very good post Oldman

Lots of interesting things going on in your post. I especially like the way the new 49ers coaching staff plays out in your prediction!
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Id rather take the cb from LSU (peterson)

other than that, its a solid draft

he was taken
If the Niners draft a CB that high, Clements will be released. Simply too much money at the CB for the guy to sit the bench. He'd start right away.

My favorite selection in your grouping is Reed. He has a non-stop motor, and is going to be a special teams demon from Day One.

One name to consider for a later-round pick: Dane Sanzenbacher of Ohio State. He reminds me of the Jordan Skipley, Austin Collie type of receivers: quick, bright, and dependable.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Overall, I think this looks really good.

You know I'm gonna have to disagree about your defensive alignment, though.

Swap our best pass rusher, Justin Smith, back to the right side. Move McDonald out to start at LE. Move Brooks back to LB and start him over Bowman. Now that's a stout front seven with potential for some aggressive blitzing.

I don't follow college ball much. I will say this, though... my Uncle, who was a starting QB at West Virginia, told me all about Noel Devine. He bought his kid a Devine jersey and the kid wears it all the time. I trust my Uncle's judgment on this one. He's real objective, even when it comes to his college team.

And no, I won't tell you who my Uncle is. You'll hunt me down and poop on my lawn.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Overall, I think this looks really good.

You know I'm gonna have to disagree about your defensive alignment, though.

Swap our best pass rusher, Justin Smith, back to the right side. Move McDonald out to start at LE. Move Brooks back to LB and start him over Bowman. Now that's a stout front seven with potential for some aggressive blitzing.

I don't follow college ball much. I will say this, though... my Uncle, who was a starting QB at West Virginia, told me all about Noel Devine. He bought his kid a Devine jersey and the kid wears it all the time. I trust my Uncle's judgment on this one. He's real objective, even when it comes to his college team.

And no, I won't tell you who my Uncle is. You'll hunt me down and poop on my lawn.

pm it to me.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

pm it to me.

Hehe.... I've said too much already. I know too much about the internet.

It's not that I don't trust you, it's just that I don't trust you.

Just wanted to let oldman know he's got that pick right on good authority.
I like the look of that 4-3.

• Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
I like the look of that 4-3.

You mean how it's exactly like our 3-4, but Ice and Smith swapped sides and Bowman is starting over Spikes?

Oh, noes... I went too far.
I could have illustrated my defensive thinking better in the diagram. What I'm leaning towards is a 4-3 Under front with a fair amount of Cover 2 press elements.

This is gonna require having a heavier 4-3 LE than the 260 lb Ends in some schemes. Justin was my obvious and perfect choice for the strong side. I figure for RayMac and RJF to battle for dominating the LDT spot. I feel both can be effective penetrators from that spot.

I'm not a fan of Brooks as a LB, but I wouldn't hate or dismiss it. I feel he's better from the 3 point stance, and with pass rushing being his primary focus. He's just not very effective out in space. Looking at my 3rd round DE I drafted, I think it will not take him long to bump anyone out of his way to be the starting RE.
I like your thinking oldman, and I appreciate your constructive efforts here.

As for Alex, I agree that the 49ers need to draft a QB to develop for the future, but I also think that Alex has enough proven talent and experience to play for the team until someone better becomes evident. However, if Alex is as smart as his is reputed to be, he would leave this frachise, unless it is evident that its fortunes are being returned to professional hands (HC, OC).
Originally posted by excelsior:
I like your thinking oldman, and I appreciate your constructive efforts here.

As for Alex, I agree that the 49ers need to draft a QB to develop for the future, but I also think that Alex has enough proven talent and experience to play for the team until someone better becomes evident. However, if Alex is as smart as his is reputed to be, he would leave this frachise, unless it is evident that its fortunes are being returned to professional hands (HC, OC).

Yeah, that's fine. My thinking here is that ONE of the Smiths will be here to likely start until our highly drafted rookie QB is ready. Either one is fine, but obviously I like Alex better and hope still that he can be our QB. If Alex moves on, then I'll wish him the best, but I'm a Niners fan first and foremost.

... and I'm appreciating all of the feedback, good or bad.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldman9er:
I could have illustrated my defensive thinking better in the diagram. What I'm leaning towards is a 4-3 Under front with a fair amount of Cover 2 press elements.

This is gonna require having a heavier 4-3 LE than the 260 lb Ends in some schemes. Justin was my obvious and perfect choice for the strong side. I figure for RayMac and RJF to battle for dominating the LDT spot. I feel both can be effective penetrators from that spot.

I'm not a fan of Brooks as a LB, but I wouldn't hate or dismiss it. I feel he's better from the 3 point stance, and with pass rushing being his primary focus. He's just not very effective out in space. Looking at my 3rd round DE I drafted, I think it will not take him long to bump anyone out of his way to be the starting RE.

Hehe... it was just nit picky bulls**t anyway. I could tell you were going 4-3 under from the diagram, you did just fine. 4-3 under is still pretty similar to our one gap 3-4, though.

Don't want to hijack your thread with scheme debates, though. Sorry for that.

I will say that it would be nice to see some press coverage.

IMO, you're one of the best members of this forum. Keep up the good work.
Share 49ersWebzone