LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 188 users in the forums

The Christian Ponder Bandwagon

I am with you on this one... I haven't seen all the QBs but at this time I think Newton and Blaine Gabbert will be busts, he is the only one I can see in a Harbaugh offense succeeding... we will see, also he will not be a 1st round pick...

go niners
Originally posted by Rathman_44:
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by 76Razor:
1987 Danny McManus

1988 Chip Ferguson

1989 P. T. Willis

1990 Brad Johnson/Casey Weldon

1991 Casey Weldon

1992-1993 Charlie Ward

1994-1995 Danny Kanell

1996-1997 Thad Busby

1998-2000 Chris Weinke

2001-2004 Chris Rix

2004 Chris Rix/Wyatt Sexton

2005 Drew Weatherford

2006-2007Drew Weatherford/Xavier Lee

2008-2009 Christian Ponder

wow. if this is not a telling sign of no good QB's from that program, i don't know what is.
did all of those guys pass through the the same system?

I see your point, but it shouldn't really matter to be honest. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

Why does it matter? I mean Jackson State never produced any good WRs but we drafted Jerry Rice and that worked out pretty well. A few years ago Cal was considered a horrible QB university but Aaron Rodgers has worked out in the NFL. We can go on and on if you want.

Jimbo Fisher came to FSU in 2008 i think as the OC. He had nothing to do with any QBs prior and installed a new offensive system that Ponder excelled in.

Like I said, Ponder is a mid round pick. He reminds me of Steve Young a lot when he runs fearlessly.
Originally posted by miked1978:
1987 Danny McManus

1988 Chip Ferguson

1989 P. T. Willis

1991 Casey Weldon

1992-1993 Charlie Ward

1994-1995 Danny Kanell

1996-1997 Thad Busby

1998-2000 Chris Weinke

2001-2004 Chris Rix

2005 Drew Weatherford

wow. if this is not a telling sign of no good QB's from that program, i don't know what is.

I see your point, but it shouldn't really matter to be honest. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

Why does it matter? I mean Jackson State never produced any good WRs but we drafted Jerry Rice and that worked out pretty well. A few years ago Cal was considered a horrible QB university but Aaron Rodgers has worked out in the NFL. We can go on and on if you want.

Jimbo Fisher came to FSU in 2008 i think as the OC. He had nothing to do with any QBs prior and installed a new offensive system that Ponder excelled in.

Like I said, Ponder is a mid round pick. He reminds me of Steve Young a lot when he runs fearlessly.

jerry Rice went to Mississippi Valley State
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
looks short. What's the height?

6-3

he's out. must be at least 6'4"

Obviously it is preferable to be at least 6'4 but at 6'3 he should be more than capable to compete in the NFL. His height is by no means a deal breaker. Keep in mind that there have been plenty of quarterbacks to find success in the NFL who stand at 6'2 or smaller. Michael Vick (6'0) Drew Brees (6'0) Aaron Rodgers (6'2) Brett Favre (6'2) Jay Cutler (6'3) or about a couple of guys by name Steve Young and Joe Montana who both stood at (6'2). And the list goes on and on. I am not comparing Ponder's ability with any of these players. I am simply proving that at 6'3 Ponder is tall enough to succeed in the NFL. Height is not a factor.
Originally posted by servegmo:
I am with you on this one... I haven't seen all the QBs but at this time I think Newton and Blaine Gabbert will be busts, he is the only one I can see in a Harbaugh offense succeeding... we will see, also he will not be a 1st round pick...

go niners

You see Gabbert and Newton as busts? Then HOW in the WORLD do you see Ponder as a succesful QB? His bad moments far outweighed his great moments. Sorry, but he to me is like Locker. He is athletic...but is very indecisive. Dont need another QB like that again. sorry.

I can see why some people would be enamoured with him. I can see why he would be a good fit in a WCO. I would accept it if Harbaugh thinks he can be something...but I watch a ton of FSU games....and he is too inconsistent, and very turnover prone...he is Alex Smith of college.
[ Edited by ninerlifer on Jan 12, 2011 at 10:20 AM ]
Draft Rule #59

Don't draft someone who massively underachieved at the college level, and expect him to overachieve at the pro level.

This draft rule has been brought to you by Kentwan Balmer

Originally posted by valrod33:
1987 Danny McManus

1988 Chip Ferguson

1989 P. T. Willis

1991 Casey Weldon

1992-1993 Charlie Ward

1994-1995 Danny Kanell

1996-1997 Thad Busby

1998-2000 Chris Weinke

2001-2004 Chris Rix

2005 Drew Weatherford

jerry Rice went to Mississippi Valley State

you're right i was thinking Walter Payton
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Draft Rule #59

Don't draft someone who massively underachieved at the college level, and expect him to overachieve at the pro level.

For Balmer's credit, he came out of nowhere and had a good last year in Chapel Hill.
1987 Danny McManus

1988 Chip Ferguson

1989 P. T. Willis

1991 Casey Weldon

1992-1993 Charlie Ward

1994-1995 Danny Kanell

1996-1997 Thad Busby

1998-2000 Chris Weinke

2001-2004 Chris Rix

2005 Drew Weatherford

Excelled is an unbelievably strong word for a middling ACC quarterback from a under achieving football team. Does he have some tools? No doubt. Mid to late round pick at best.

But you are arguing (or at least it sounds as if) that examining a school's propensity for producing quality QBs shouldn't factor into a decision to draft said QB. While I am not saying that it is the only thing that can be considered, it needs to factor in as a contributing aspect.

And PS - he has an elbow issue. May be nothing serious, but it kept him out of the ACC title game so take that for what it is worth.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Draft Rule #59

For Balmer's credit, he came out of nowhere and had a good last year in Chapel Hill.

And had a good this year in Seattle. LOL!

Originally posted by Gavintech:
1987 Danny McManus

1988 Chip Ferguson

1989 P. T. Willis

1991 Casey Weldon

1992-1993 Charlie Ward

1994-1995 Danny Kanell

1996-1997 Thad Busby

1998-2000 Chris Weinke

2001-2004 Chris Rix

2005 Drew Weatherford

Name all the great modern NFL QB's that came out of Tennessee not named Manning.

I'll give you a head start... Heath Shuler was probably the best and he had no NFL career to speak of.

Does that mean The Colts shouldn't have picked Peyton? Just because no Tennessee QB had translated to the NFL (in the modern era anyways) before? Even looking at previous players from the same school as a tiny part of a prospect's evaluation is plain stupid.

Not sure it's "stupid" to look back at a particular school's track record for the most important position in sports. Certain schools have a higher than ordinary history of producing pro-ready QBs. Florida State clearly does not. Maybe that dies with Bobby's coaching tenure, but then again, Ponder is a direct decendant of that tenure.
Peyton Manning was a no brainer based on his production in college. Show me any semblence of statistical comparison between Christian Ponder and Peyton Manning. Comparing apples to oranges in the truest representation of "stupid".

I wasn't comparing Manning to Ponder. I was pointing out that previous players from the same school should have no part in a players evaluation. Each and every player is his own man and needs to be analyzed as such. Manning was just an example.
Draft Rule #59

You lie! He did?!?!?!
This should be renamed to the Christian Ponder Paddleboat.
Draft Rule #59

You lie! He did?!?!?!

LOL. No he didn't. He sucked, as always.
Originally posted by servegmo:

go niners

Who does Ponder compare to in the NFL?
Share 49ersWebzone