LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 389 users in the forums

The Christian Ponder Bandwagon

I know this has been rehased, but his all star performance and workouts have been all positive. Not to mention his playing in a pro style offense.

I know some of you are tired about talk of players who come from gimmick offense needing more time, but I believe its true and not just because of our experience with he who shall be nameless.

Manning was wisely selected over leaf because he was more NFL ready, even though many said Leaf had more upside, etc. So Ponder will be way ahead of the curb, his only issue might be durability.

I will be happy with a PP/VM/or Dareus and a Ponder p/u.
I'm on board! He looked solid yesterday!!!!!! I'll take him in the 2nd! Steal of the draft.
  • Riot
  • Veteran
Ponder is the QB I want most in this draft by a long way.
I know I bashed Ponder a lot prior to the end of the college season, but he has impressed me a lot during the off season. I still would rather have Dalton over him, but I won't be upset if he somehow fell to us in the 2nd.
Most draft experts would think this was gross overreach, but do you think the Niners might select Ponder at #7 if they think he is the best QB for WCO?
Originally posted by ncninerfan:
Most draft experts would think this was gross overreach, but do you think the Niners might select Ponder at #7 if they think he is the best QB for WCO?

Honestly, I wouldn't sweat that at all if Harbaugh sees him as "the guy". He looks good to me and I don't really care if he's considered a draft day reach if we got him and he became a franchise QB. How many #7 overall picks would we all trade for Rodgers, Brees, Manning, Brady, Rivers, etc, etc...?
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Riot:
Originally posted by Chief:
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
Originally posted by Chief:
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by ncninerfan:

Honestly, I wouldn't sweat that at all if Harbaugh sees him as "the guy". He looks good to me and I don't really care if he's considered a draft day reach if we got him and he became a franchise QB. How many #7 overall picks would we all trade for Rodgers, Brees, Manning, Brady, Rivers, etc, etc...?

same. If we think he's "the guy", that means possibly a number of other qb-desperate teams also see him that way so even trading down to mid/late 1st is a risk.

I'd rather see a scenario where we can get him and also a quinn/dareus/miller/peterson but with our spot in the 2nd and the fact that seattle also needs a qb at 25th, reaching is not the worst idea.

If we are going to trade down, we can't do it with NE because of seattle. Someone like the colts maybe, or perhaps giants a bit higher up. An extra 2nd or 3rd would do wonders for all of the position depth/upgrades this team should do.

Ponder is going to be the most successful QB in this draft class.. This is who I want leading my team for the next 10-15 years.

Gabbert = bust/will be drafted way to early
Newton = maybe bust/chance to be good in right situation
Locker = decent QB for a team who never wants to win a SB
Kaepernick = career backup with huge arm
Dalton = decent QB for a team who could lead his team to a SB
Stanzi = please dont even get on this wagon
Everyone else = garbage

Pleeease draft this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz2KeUJeHp0

[ Edited by 9erguy on Mar 17, 2011 at 13:32:57 ]
  • JDog
  • Veteran
He will never last until our current pick spot in the 2nd round though.
Originally posted by JDog:
Originally posted by valrod33:

WE MUST TRADE DOWN TO LATE FIRST EARLY SECOND!

[ Edited by 9erguy on Mar 17, 2011 at 13:38:38 ]
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erguy:
Originally posted by valrod33:

WE MUST TRADE DOWN TO LATE FIRST EARLY SECOND!

I'm doubting he gets past seattle at 25th if carroll gets wind of harbaugh liking ponder lol. I know they have other needs, but replacing an aging/oft injured Hasselbeck is one of them. Which is why I'm doubting the NE deal is the best for us.

Yeah, they could go kaepernick or anyone else in 2nd/3rd because short term hasselbeck is still a good qb when healthy, and defense or a receiver in first, but like us-if they believe ponder's a few tiers ahead of the others why would they wait?

[ Edited by mike on Mar 17, 2011 at 18:56:40 ]
Share 49ersWebzone