There are 209 users in the forums

The Christian Ponder Bandwagon

Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Byisgod:
I'm with you Mayo. I like Ponder a lot.

I think he'd be better than Alex and we can get him later in the draft. Those are the two biiggest arguments I can make. Just throwing it out there to gauge what you guys think.

I like him if we get a kyle Orton to hold us over until he develops. and I think we need to start the draft countdown mayo
Originally posted by Rathman_44:
Can you name a single FSU quarterback who has translated into an NFL caliber QB?

Me neither.

What cares? Like that means ANYTHING!
Originally posted by 76Razor:
1987 Danny McManus

1988 Chip Ferguson

1989 P. T. Willis

1990 Brad Johnson/Casey Weldon

1991 Casey Weldon

1992-1993 Charlie Ward

1994-1995 Danny Kanell

1996-1997 Thad Busby

1998-2000 Chris Weinke

2001-2004 Chris Rix

2004 Chris Rix/Wyatt Sexton

2005 Drew Weatherford

2006-2007Drew Weatherford/Xavier Lee

2008-2009 Christian Ponder

wow. if this is not a telling sign of no good QB's from that program, i don't know what is.

Name all the great modern NFL QB's that came out of Tennessee not named Manning.

I'll give you a head start... Heath Shuler was probably the best and he had no NFL career to speak of.

Does that mean The Colts shouldn't have picked Peyton? Just because no Tennessee QB had translated to the NFL (in the modern era anyways) before? Even looking at previous players from the same school as a tiny part of a prospect's evaluation is plain stupid.
Ponder definitely holds a lot of potential. I am not a FSU fan by any means. I really like what I see in this guy when I watch his film. He is perfect for the west coast offense. He throws accurate balls on short to medium routes (especially slants). He as the agility and foot speed to buy time in the pocket. This is the scouting report on Ponder's pocket presence from Scouts Inc.

"Great tempo. Has quick feet and gets set in a hurry. Always on the balls of his feet at the top of his drop and shows very good initial quickness when he goes to scramble. He's a fast, elusive and tough runner when he decides to tuck the ball and go. A legitimate threat to pick up the first down when he takes off. Most importantly, he buys a lot of second-chance passing opportunities with his feet."

I will admit that he doesn't possess the arm strength of a Mallet or Gabbert but the fact of the matter is that Arizona will likely draft Gabbert with their 5th overall and Mallet is not worth the 7th overall pick in this draft. I believe Harbaugh will look at Ponder and see a kid that can be turned into a decent WCO QB. He has above average accuracy and great pocket presence. Harbaugh will do a good job of developing Ponder's ability to check down receivers and make proper decisions.

1.Prince Amukamara
2. Jeremy Beal
3.Christian Ponder (there is a chance Ponder is drafted in the 2nd)
1987 Danny McManus

1988 Chip Ferguson

1989 P. T. Willis

1991 Casey Weldon

1992-1993 Charlie Ward

1994-1995 Danny Kanell

1996-1997 Thad Busby

1998-2000 Chris Weinke

2001-2004 Chris Rix

2005 Drew Weatherford

theres a blast from the past danny mcmanus, he was an excellant cfl qb for a lot of years
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Ponder definitely holds a lot of potential. I am not a FSU fan by any means. I really like what I see in this guy when I watch his film. He is perfect for the west coast offense. He throws accurate balls on short to medium routes (especially slants). He as the agility and foot speed to buy time in the pocket. This is the scouting report on Ponder's pocket presence from Scouts Inc.

"Great tempo. Has quick feet and gets set in a hurry. Always on the balls of his feet at the top of his drop and shows very good initial quickness when he goes to scramble. He's a fast, elusive and tough runner when he decides to tuck the ball and go. A legitimate threat to pick up the first down when he takes off. Most importantly, he buys a lot of second-chance passing opportunities with his feet."

I will admit that he doesn't possess the arm strength of a Mallet or Gabbert but the fact of the matter is that Arizona will likely draft Gabbert with their 5th overall and Mallet is not worth the 7th overall pick in this draft. I believe Harbaugh will look at Ponder and see a kid that can be turned into a decent WCO QB. He has above average accuracy and great pocket presence. Harbaugh will do a good job of developing Ponder's ability to check down receivers and make proper decisions.

1.Prince Amukamara
2. Jeremy Beal

Well said, I think this is a guy Harbaugh/Baalke will target in the second or third round. He is very smooth in his delivery and is a good decision maker in the pocket. He doesn't blow you away with his physical abilities like Newton, but the NFL is a totally different beast than College. He is a hard worker who is smart and that goes a long in the WCO.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by 76Razor:
1987 Danny McManus

1988 Chip Ferguson

1989 P. T. Willis

1991 Casey Weldon

1992-1993 Charlie Ward

1994-1995 Danny Kanell

1996-1997 Thad Busby

1998-2000 Chris Weinke

2001-2004 Chris Rix

2005 Drew Weatherford

wow. if this is not a telling sign of no good QB's from that program, i don't know what is.

Name all the great modern NFL QB's that came out of Tennessee not named Manning.

I'll give you a head start... Heath Shuler was probably the best and he had no NFL career to speak of.

Does that mean The Colts shouldn't have picked Peyton? Just because no Tennessee QB had translated to the NFL (in the modern era anyways) before? Even looking at previous players from the same school as a tiny part of a prospect's evaluation is plain stupid.

Not sure it's "stupid" to look back at a particular school's track record for the most important position in sports. Certain schools have a higher than ordinary history of producing pro-ready QBs. Florida State clearly does not. Maybe that dies with Bobby's coaching tenure, but then again, Ponder is a direct decendant of that tenure.
Peyton Manning was a no brainer based on his production in college. Show me any semblence of statistical comparison between Christian Ponder and Peyton Manning. Comparing apples to oranges in the truest representation of "stupid".
  • WWFGD
  • Veteran

1.Prince Amukamara
2. Jeremy Beal

Excellent first post goodthings19, I have watched some film on Ponder and that was the first thing I noticed, he throws a ton of accurate quick slants. IMO the slant is the toughest throw in football. It is a critical throw for the WCO. Perhaps Ponder deserves a second look.
Originally posted by WWFGD:

1.Prince Amukamara
2. Jeremy Beal

Excellent first post goodthings19, I have watched some film on Ponder and that was the first thing I noticed, he throws a ton of accurate quick slants. IMO the slant is the toughest throw in football. It is a critical throw for the WCO. Perhaps Ponder deserves a second look.

He hasnt gotten a first look yet. I'm willing to bet money that Harbaugh spends a LOT of time looking at Ponder, Stanzi, and Devlin to see if we can get away with finding our franchise QB in the 2nd round.
I would rather have Locker than Ponder

looks short. What's the height?
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

6-3
Originally posted by valrod33:

6-3

he's out. must be at least 6'4"
Originally posted by valrod33: