There are 199 users in the forums

The Christian Ponder Bandwagon

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
valrod33 @WesBunting what QB in the draft makes the most sense for the 49ers?

WesBunting @valrod33 I think the #49ers could look at #FSU QB Christian Ponder i round 2 #NFLDRAFT

Who the hell is WesBunting?
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

WesBunting @valrod33 I think the #49ers could look at #FSU QB Christian Ponder i round 2 #NFLDRAFT

Our new overlord and master.

You didn't get the memo?
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

Our new overlord and master.

You didn't get the memo?

Quote:
Wes Bunting, the National Football Post’s director of college scouting, has been monitoring the college football scene since 2002.

He completed a football GM and scouting course from Sports Management Worldwide, studying under Marc Trestman and Russ Lande, and has published scouting reports for NFLSmackdown.com, Scout.com and NFLDraftscout.com. He’s a member of the Football Writers Association of America.

He provided a lot of reports at the Senior Bowl. Don't know much else about him besides that short profile though.
Originally posted by Digger:
Originally posted by Rathman_44:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Let's try this another way...

If you are a 5-star, can't miss, rocket armed QB ala: Peyton Manning...then school QB history is of little consequence.

If you are an injury-prone, questionably performing QB, then a contributing factor in your draft stock should include, but not be limited to, school's QB history.

Again - 1 factor, not the only factor.

It was an excellent list, but it by no means renders all other dissenting opinion invalid.

This doesn't tell me why a school's ability to develop QB's 5, 10, or even 15 years ago is relevant to the QB class coming out this year...

Then therein lies the krux of the disagreement. I contend that it is a valid thing to at least research while you find no such relevance. Agree to disagree I guess, but in no way can having as much information on a QB be a bad thing.

If reviewing a school's track record on QBs isn't relevent, how can asking a kid about his parent's divorce at the combine be perceived?

I suspect a prospect's parents divorce had a much stronger impact on his emotional development than whether or not Chris Weinke succeeded in the NFL.

Mainly I find it funny how this is an issue regarding Ponder, but I don't see many posts in the other threads about why TCU has failed to produce a good NFL QB since Sammy Baugh.

I would, in fact, make a similar arguement regarding Andy Dalton, were it not for the preponderence of success that he enjoyed on the college level.

Dalton has significantly fewer question marks than Ponder and thus wouldn't require examination school history as a mitigating factor. Ponder has many question marks and therefore would at lease warrant a peak at the list of failures that FSU has produced. Just because there hasn't been a good FSU QB yet doesn't mean that Ponder can't be the one, but I contend that it at least needs to be a factor that is looked at.

In a related note - it is refreshing that we can have an adult debate on a topic without people getting personal or angry. Debate like this is the reason I stay with the Zone.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Stay away from QBs who:

1) Have injury history on their THROWING arm
2) When scouts say "strong enough"
3) Have injury history with concussions
4) Come from Florida State

Dude I'm a Miami Hurricanes fan so you know I'm really not just a homer on this but
1.)I'm really not concerned with the arm injury
2.) Having a strong arm is the most overrated aspect of a quarterback. You know what they said about Manning and Brady coming out of college? They said their arms were strong enough, so you point is irrelevant. You know who had big arms? Jamarcus Russell, Matt Stafford, and Ryan Leaf.
3.) Concussion are a little bit of an issue with him but no reason to think he won't be alright.
4.) College programs have very little to no impact on how a QB will perform in the pros.

I used to be very critical of Ponder but i've watched some film and he seems like the best west coast style QB outside of the projected first rounders.
If we get him in the 3rd I think thats a good spot with only a little risk.
Originally posted by Digger:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Let's try this another way...

If you are a 5-star, can't miss, rocket armed QB ala: Peyton Manning...then school QB history is of little consequence.

If you are an injury-prone, questionably performing QB, then a contributing factor in your draft stock should include, but not be limited to, school's QB history.

Again - 1 factor, not the only factor.

It was an excellent list, but it by no means renders all other dissenting opinion invalid.

This doesn't tell me why a school's ability to develop QB's 5, 10, or even 15 years ago is relevant to the QB class coming out this year...

Then therein lies the krux of the disagreement. I contend that it is a valid thing to at least research while you find no such relevance. Agree to disagree I guess, but in no way can having as much information on a QB be a bad thing.

If reviewing a school's track record on QBs isn't relevent, how can asking a kid about his parent's divorce at the combine be perceived?

I suspect a prospect's parents divorce had a much stronger impact on his emotional development than whether or not Chris Weinke succeeded in the NFL.

Mainly I find it funny how this is an issue regarding Ponder, but I don't see many posts in the other threads about why TCU has failed to produce a good NFL QB since Sammy Baugh.

I would, in fact, make a similar arguement regarding Andy Dalton, were it not for the preponderence of success that he enjoyed on the college level.

Dalton has significantly fewer question marks than Ponder and thus wouldn't require examination school history as a mitigating factor. Ponder has many question marks and therefore would at lease warrant a peak at the list of failures that FSU has produced. Just because there hasn't been a good FSU QB yet doesn't mean that Ponder can't be the one, but I contend that it at least needs to be a factor that is looked at.

In a related note - it is refreshing that we can have an adult debate on a topic without people getting personal or angry. Debate like this is the reason I stay with the Zone.

Agreed. Ultimately everyone here is a 9er fan, so we probably agree about more than we disagree on, and that's why we're here. The sense of community is what makes it feel so good when you're team is winning.

It was amazing walking around London in October/November, and seeing other people in their jerseys or gold Starter jackets on the tube, having a quick high 5 and finding out they were German or something.
i think this is the guy they should take.
Finally, someone who gets it.
Christian Ponder
Thank you ^^

I too think Ponder could be the answer. He, IMO, would be a steal for us in the 2nd or 3rd round. With what I'm hearing about Harbaugh and his evaluation process with QB's, hopefully he see's what we believe to be characteristics in Ponders makeup which attribute to a successful NFL QB.

Go. Get. This. Guy.

Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
Christian Ponder

Very good article. If Ponder didn't get hurt this year and had a good year he'd be a 1st round pick. Injuries and having a bad year due to the inuries is the only thing keeping this guy out. At least he's tough and plays through the injuries.

I'm starting to think this guy will be drafted in the 2nd round. So many QB starved teams out there and not enough QBs.

Teams that need QBs:
Panthers
Denver (Is Orton, Tebow the answer?)
Cardinals
Buffalo
Cincinatti (Palmer wants out)
Cleveland
Tennessee
Washington
Miami
Seattle
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
Christian Ponder

Very good article. If Ponder didn't get hurt this year and had a good year he'd be a 1st round pick. Injuries and having a bad year due to the inuries is the only thing keeping this guy out. At least he's tough and plays through the injuries.

I'm starting to think this guy will be drafted in the 2nd round. So many QB starved teams out there and not enough QBs.

Teams that need QBs:
Panthers- Doubt they take one 1st round, but definitely a threat in round 2 & 3
Denver (Is Orton, Tebow the answer?) - Would be very hard to justify taking a QB in top 3 rounds with Tebow. I believe his jersey is one of the top sellers in the league already.
Cardinals - could and should definitely take a QB in the first 3 rounds.
Buffalo - they seem to be high on Fitzpatrick, so I think 1st round is unlikely, but should definitely take a developmental QB in 2 or 3.
Cincinatti (Palmer wants out) - even with Palmer I think they are looking for a QB early, to develop behind him, and replace him when he gets his way.
Cleveland - they seem happy with McCoy, and drafting someone higher than ham (3rd round I think?) would be disastrous to his confidence.
Tennessee - need one badly, could be the 1st team to take a QB in R1.
Washington - similar to Tennessee if they do cut/trade McNabb. Even if they don't they need a developmental prospect.
Miami - they need one for sure, wonder how high they go after one though?
Seattle - they will draft a QB I'm sure, but I wonder how high they can get away with it? They made the playoffs after all, Hasselbeck is still there for the time being, and gave up a 2nd rounder for Whitehurst. They have bigger holes, but could surprise and take a 1st round QB who falls like Aaron Rodgers did.

I think there will be more QBs than you expect. Gabbert and Newton seem to be the only sure-fire 1st rounders. One, if not both, of Mallett and Locker will slip to the 2nd, and push everyone down further. Then less QBs than we expect will be taken in the 2nd, pushing more to the 3rd.

Some of the guys we're talking about here will be 4th & 5th rounders, ultimately.

[ Edited by Digger on Feb 9, 2011 at 11:51:07 ]
Please draft this dude. Being a WC type QB,my hope is he'll fall through the cracks to the 3rd round. I have a feeling someone is going to trade up to the 2nd to snatch him. I'd take him with the 45th
Christian Ponder has a change of plans

Quote:
Posted by Mike Florio on February 22, 2011, 8:41 PM EST

In late January, former Florida State quarterback Christian Ponder said that he doesn’t plan to throw at the Scouting Combine.

“I think the plan right now is I’m not going to throw, which most quarterbacks do,” Ponder said in the days prior to the Senior Bowl, per BuffaloBills.com. “Something could change and I could throw, but I will do everything else.”

Something has indeed changed.

Despite being named the MVP of the Senior Bowl, we’re told that Ponder has indeed decided to throw at the Scouting Combine.

He joins guys like Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick, Jake Locker, Ryan Mallett, Andy Dalton, and Ricky Stanzi, all of whom will throw at the Scouting Combine, as Silva summarized earlier today.

Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert is the biggest name to choose not to throw.
Originally posted by PTulini:

Quote:
Posted by Mike Florio on February 22, 2011, 8:41 PM EST

In late January, former Florida State quarterback Christian Ponder said that he doesn’t plan to throw at the Scouting Combine.

“I think the plan right now is I’m not going to throw, which most quarterbacks do,” Ponder said in the days prior to the Senior Bowl, per BuffaloBills.com. “Something could change and I could throw, but I will do everything else.”

Something has indeed changed.

Despite being named the MVP of the Senior Bowl, we’re told that Ponder has indeed decided to throw at the Scouting Combine.

He joins guys like Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick, Jake Locker, Ryan Mallett, Andy Dalton, and Ricky Stanzi, all of whom will throw at the Scouting Combine, as Silva summarized earlier today.

Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert is the biggest name to choose not to throw.

Looks like we'll get to see him air out the 7 and 9 routes and thus proving all the "arm strength" haters wrong.

Meanwhile, Blaine Gabbert doesn't want to embarrass himself any further.
Share 49ersWebzone