LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

The Christian Ponder Bandwagon

This kid is the real deal, he graduated from FSU with a finance degree & 3.72 gpa. Impressed yet?? Well he did all that 2 '1/2 years.

His skill set and intelligence remind me a lot of Steve Young. I predict his stock will rise, id be thrilled if the 49ers got him in round 2 but they may need to trade up.
My opinion on Ponder has changed a bit for the better but I still wouldnt take him until the 3rd.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
My opinion on Ponder has changed a bit for the better but I still wouldnt take him until the 3rd.

He won't last until the 3rd. Buffalo or Arizona will gobble him up in the 2nd.
Originally posted by mayo49:

I would be shocked if Arizona drafter yet another young QB in the middle rounds after getting 2 guys last year.

I don't know why people don't understand that you don't give up on developmental QB's after one year. I see no reason for them to draft another one in Ponder, who is NOT a day 1 starter.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

I would be shocked if Arizona drafter yet another young QB in the middle rounds after getting 2 guys last year.

I don't know why people don't understand that you don't give up on developmental QB's after one year. I see no reason for them to draft another one in Ponder, who is NOT a day 1 starter.

Agreed. The Cardinals are more than likely going after a veteran free agent QB to run their offense (Alex Smith, Donovan McNabb, VY, Dennis Dixon, etc.), and use the draft to upgrade the talent on a very bad defense.

So be it. Don't wanna reach on him. If he falls then fine, if not we'll survive.

Also, I don't think many thought Colt McCoy would fall like he did last year.
QB's are known to fall in the draft. Happens every year. One of the guys is gonna fall if you go by history.

[ Edited by Sjceruti on Jan 30, 2011 at 11:12:19 ]
How Senior Bowl MVP Christian Ponder fares on his medical examination at next month's NFL Scouting Combine could go a long way toward determining where he goes in the draft.
Ponder experienced a number of shoulder and elbow injuries at Florida State, and is going to have to prove he's not a long-term health risk if he wants a team to take a gamble on him in the second or third round. Even if his arm is not the strongest, he has the tools to succeed in the NFL if he can stay healthy.
Source: Fox Sports
ponder still reminds me of kyle boller
After the senior bowl i was sold on this guy I did not want him at all but now he's growing on me I still like stanzi more though
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Ponder looked the best in the actual game, I only saw one practice and thought he was the best there also. top 3 in no real order for me is Dalton, Devlin, Ponder. I am just scared of Ponder becoming the next Chad Pennington. Everyone has already called him that and a man destined for a clipboard :/

Originally posted by WestCoast:

They are NOTHING alike.
Originally posted by binary2nd:

They are NOTHING alike.
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:

They are NOTHING alike.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:

They are NOTHING alike.

I'll join in the fun. Ponder is like Pennington if you are looking for a comparison, they say he has all the intangibles and leadership skills you could ever want but the guy seems to made of glass.

[ Edited by sfout on Jan 30, 2011 at 18:02:12 ]
What I like about Christian Ponder:

He's smart. Finance degree in 2-1/2 years with the 3.7 GPA
His arm is strong enough to make every NFL throw
He's mobile
He's a leader
He's got the QB moxie
He's accurate..
He can take something off his passes when need be
He can make those touch passes and drop it right in the bread basket
He can drop a passes right over defenders into his wr hands
When he scrambles, his eyes stay down-field

Prime example in the Senior Bowl, I'll give you 2..

#1. He had a short slant pass that he threw right on the money that also kept his wr out of harms way. They made a point to compare that to Jake Locker's slant passes that went high and left his wr out to dry....

#2. His last TD pass.. The wr ran a medium post to the end-zone.. Ponder threw a touch pass and put it right on the wr's face mask, it wasn't even necessary for the receiver to jump... But what I liked most about that pass, is when Ponder dropped back to pass he looked to his left and drew the safety over and then came back to the right... The small things like that are HUGE!!!

Put this guy into Harbaugh's hands.. Could be something special!

Durability is my only issue with Ponder..

Von Miller/Other Pass Rusher in the 1st and Ponder in the 2nd, I would be psyched!

But at the end of the day... Whoever Harbaugh decides on is fine with me.. He's the QB Guru, not myself or anyone of us...

[ Edited by Eduardo75 on Jan 30, 2011 at 18:17:44 ]
Share 49ersWebzone