LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 304 users in the forums

The Ricky Stanzi Bandwagon

Originally posted by BayAreaNinersFan:
look up the youtube video of Ricky Stanzi talking about his 'american pride'. He's a first-class bigot and as much as the Niners are my life, I vowed to stop watching football if we drafted him and he became our QB.
But when it comes to on -the field significance of all this (if you aren't big on political/intellectual matters like myself--and theres nothing wrong with that), I'd venture to guess the bigotry and callousness he displays in the interview will carry over into his ability to lead men and, ultimately, realize his own true potential. Good quarterbacks are leaders, and he seems to be the farthest thing from inspiring. it's the kind of thing that shows itself when s**t hits the fan.

although..if he thought Iowa was too liberal for him, it definitely woulda been a little humorous to see him react to SF culture.

If you can't tell I'm hella bugged by ricky stanzi, f**k that guy. Would love to meet him one day.

no idea what you are talking about, nothing he has said comes across as bigoted
Originally posted by Kolohe:
look up the youtube video of Ricky Stanzi talking about his 'american pride'. He's a first-class bigot and as much as the Niners are my life, I vowed to stop watching football if we drafted him and he became our QB.
But when it comes to on -the field significance of all this (if you aren't big on political/intellectual matters like myself--and theres nothing wrong with that), I'd venture to guess the bigotry and callousness he displays in the interview will carry over into his ability to lead men and, ultimately, realize his own true potential. Good quarterbacks are leaders, and he seems to be the farthest thing from inspiring. it's the kind of thing that shows itself when s**t hits the fan.

although..if he thought Iowa was too liberal for him, it definitely woulda been a little humorous to see him react to SF culture.

If you can't tell I'm hella bugged by ricky stanzi, f**k that guy. Would love to meet him one day.

You can't be freaking serious!!!!

This guy gets standing ovations at the Chiefs Preseason games, the fans love him. And he continues to improve each game, it baffles me that Harbaugh and Baalke past him up for (LOL) Kaepernick. So far Stanzi and McElroy are looking 10x's the QB then what Kaepernick has shown.

its about upside, Kaps ceiling is higher

we get the O line blocking correctly, Edwards and Crabs on the field together, and Gore running the ball things will look a lot better
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jreff22:

This guy gets standing ovations at the Chiefs Preseason games, the fans love him. And he continues to improve each game, it baffles me that Harbaugh and Baalke past him up for (LOL) Kaepernick. So far Stanzi and McElroy are looking 10x's the QB then what Kaepernick has shown.

we get the O line blocking correctly, Edwards and Crabs on the field together, and Gore running the ball things will look a lot better

Kaeps ceilling is higher says who??? Who determines upside, no one but the player on the field, upside is none other than a media word. Tell me who's upside is higher Sam Bradfords, Alex Smith or Matt Stafford??

Kaeps ceilling is higher says who??? Who determines upside, no one but the player on the field, upside is none other than a media word. Tell me who's upside is higher Sam Bradfords, Alex Smith or Matt Stafford??

if Stafford keeps getting hurt he will be out of the league in 3 years, if Alex doesn't turn it around this year he will be a career backup, Bradford probably has the highest out of the 3 but I still think he's gonna get that shoulder KO'd at some point as well. Or if you put all 3 together in the same draft who would go first.....Bradford, Stafford, and Alex....why, because Bradford has the higher ceiling and that's why he should go first.

Ceiling is a measuring stick not a "media" word. Some kids have higher potential because of their physical attributes (for example), they just need a little time to learn. Kap is a vastly superior athlete compared to Stanzi and McElroy and will continue to improve. He is learning a new system as is the rest of the offense. I would hope that 2 rookie QB's playing for playoff teams would have an easier time compared to what we have.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

if Stafford keeps getting hurt he will be out of the league in 3 years, if Alex doesn't turn it around this year he will be a career backup, Bradford probably has the highest out of the 3 but I still think he's gonna get that shoulder KO'd at some point as well. Or if you put all 3 together in the same draft who would go first.....Bradford, Stafford, and Alex....why, because Bradford has the higher ceiling and that's why he should go first.

Ceiling is a measuring stick not a "media" word. Some kids have higher potential because of their physical attributes (for example), they just need a little time to learn. Kap is a vastly superior athlete compared to Stanzi and McElroy and will continue to improve. He is learning a new system as is the rest of the offense. I would hope that 2 rookie QB's playing for playoff teams would have an easier time compared to what we have.

So by your measuring stick its about the situation around the QB, correct. So in that case Stanzi and McElroy who both come from Pro style offenses with a better situation around them have the better Upside than a QB who has to learn to take snaps from under center, tweak his mechanics and has a much worse O-line.

Edit: Btw I could give two s**ts about how good an athlete a QB is, I want a QB who utilizes his weapons around him and makes quick good decision....consistently.
[ Edited by Kolohe on Aug 29, 2011 at 12:18 AM ]

So by your measuring stick its about the situation around the QB, correct. So in that case Stanzi and McElroy who both come from Pro style offenses with a better situation around them have the better Upside than a QB who has to learn to take snaps from under center and tweak his mechanics.

Edit: Btw I could give two s**ts about how good an athlete a QB is, I want a QB who utilizes his weapons around him and makes quick good decision....consistently.

I think Stanzi and McElroy will have an easier transition into the NFL because of their previous systems and the fact the teams they are playing for are not horrible at the moment. The situation really has nothing to do with the ceiling argument, both of those guys look better now because of their situation. They have better blocking, better RB's, and better WR's to work with. So far Alex hasn't even gotten to play 1 down with the full starting unit (Crabs, Edwards, Gore). I don't like making history arguments but Walsh saw something in Young even though he didn't really start out great, and we are still talking about preseason. Every RB we have had the last 4-5 years in preseason has led the league in stats.....has that helped us in any way yet? When the QB's get adequate blocking to actually make a play consistently, I will judge their decision making.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

So by your measuring stick its about the situation around the QB, correct. So in that case Stanzi and McElroy who both come from Pro style offenses with a better situation around them have the better Upside than a QB who has to learn to take snaps from under center and tweak his mechanics.

I think Stanzi and McElroy will have an easier transition into the NFL because of their previous systems and the fact the teams they are playing for are not horrible at the moment. The situation really has nothing to do with the ceiling argument, both of those guys look better now because of their situation. They have better blocking, better RB's, and better WR's to work with. So far Alex hasn't even gotten to play 1 down with the full starting unit (Crabs, Edwards, Gore). I don't like making history arguments but Walsh saw something in Young even though he didn't really start out great, and we are still talking about preseason. Every RB we have had the last 4-5 years in preseason has led the league in stats.....has that helped us in any way yet? When the QB's get adequate blocking to actually make a play consistently, I will judge their decision making.

Again so who has the better upside, sure the three QB's mentioned will probably be a while till they're capable of starting. BUT, I'm willing to bet my smart money that Stanzi and McElroy will transition faster in the Pro's and be much more successful than "Mr. Upside'. Aahh the "Steve Young" card, I'd have to say that was more a finding in which the piece was able to fit in with your puzzle, same with Tom Brady another piece to the puzzle, clearly Gio Carmazzi had more upside. Where was the Upside factor when Druckenmiller was drafted??? Who had more upside, Druckenmiller or Jake Plummer.....again the word upside means nothing when evaluating a player IMO. Tell me, hows Alex Smith's upside looking on a one-year contract with a horrid O-line?? Here's another one, who had more "upside" Steve Fuller or Joe Montana??

Sorry for getting so worked up, I just can't stand that word "Upside", no one really knows who really has more. To say that means you can predict the future, its silly.
[ Edited by Kolohe on Aug 29, 2011 at 12:44 AM ]

Sorry for getting so worked up, I just can't stand that word "Upside", no one really knows who really has more. To say that means you can predict the future, its silly.

Come on man, you're just getting worked up because you're a fan of Stanzi and some people still aren't on his bandwagon. You know I was on the wagon for sure and he's one of the players I'll be following throughout his career, but don't crown the guy yet through three preseason games. His last game, he looked very good. His second game, he looked like a lost rookie, and in his first game, he was pretty much a game manager. Do I think he can succeed in this league? Absolutely!! He has the skill, he reads defenses quickly and he's accurate. However, I also think Kaepernick can succeed. He just needs a bit more time to develop. Also, maybe if our o-line can block for anyone, he can get a throw out quicker or even go through his progressions. He's got a guy in his face way before he steps up after a three step drop. His first and third games were bad, and a lot of it can be blamed on our horrid line, but he showed what he could do when given time in his second game.
We should have drafted Stanzi instead, im buying this kaepernick character
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SF69ers:

Come on man, you're just getting worked up because you're a fan of Stanzi and some people still aren't on his bandwagon. You know I was on the wagon for sure and he's one of the players I'll be following throughout his career, but don't crown the guy yet through three preseason games. His last game, he looked very good. His second game, he looked like a lost rookie, and in his first game, he was pretty much a game manager. Do I think he can succeed in this league? Absolutely!! He has the skill, he reads defenses quickly and he's accurate. However, I also think Kaepernick can succeed. He just needs a bit more time to develop. Also, maybe if our o-line can block for anyone, he can get a throw out quicker or even go through his progressions. He's got a guy in his face way before he steps up after a three step drop. His first and third games were bad, and a lot of it can be blamed on our horrid line, but he showed what he could do when given time in his second game.

OK OK I'm sorry.

He looked pretty good the other night. I know it's preseason, but I would have liked to draft him in the 5th!

Again so who has the better upside, sure the three QB's mentioned will probably be a while till they're capable of starting. BUT, I'm willing to bet my smart money that Stanzi and McElroy will transition faster in the Pro's and be much more successful than "Mr. Upside'. Aahh the "Steve Young" card, I'd have to say that was more a finding in which the piece was able to fit in with your puzzle, same with Tom Brady another piece to the puzzle, clearly Gio Carmazzi had more upside. Where was the Upside factor when Druckenmiller was drafted??? Who had more upside, Druckenmiller or Jake Plummer.....again the word upside means nothing when evaluating a player IMO. Tell me, hows Alex Smith's upside looking on a one-year contract with a horrid O-line?? Here's another one, who had more "upside" Steve Fuller or Joe Montana??

If you look at an overall attribute list for instance Kap has higher numbers IMO. He has size (and will fill out more), great athletic ability, well above average arm strength, good college numbers, grounded personality, and one of the better teachers currently in Jim. Couple those and compare them and I think he can offer more in the long run. For arguments sake his overall value was higher across the board based on his draft placement. If 32 teams look at him has the better prospect then obviously coming out of college his overall worth was higher. Nobody can predict the future but GM's are paid to do just that, drafting on the highest return possible, granted the picks are not always right but nobody is perfect...was Brady drafted incorrectly, yep, but Manning was drafted perfectly. Having a 6'5 240lb very athletic QB with a cannon for an arm is not a bad thing, its up to Jim to mold his ass correctly and if he does.....watch out!!!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

If you look at an overall attribute list for instance Kap has higher numbers IMO. He has size (and will fill out more), great athletic ability, well above average arm strength, good college numbers, grounded personality, and one of the better teachers currently in Jim. Couple those and compare them and I think he can offer more in the long run. For arguments sake his overall value was higher across the board based on his draft placement. If 32 teams look at him has the better prospect then obviously coming out of college his overall worth was higher. Nobody can predict the future but GM's are paid to do just that, drafting on the highest return possible, granted the picks are not always right but nobody is perfect...was Brady drafted incorrectly, yep, but Manning was drafted perfectly. Having a 6'5 240lb very athletic QB with a cannon for an arm is not a bad thing, its up to Jim to mold his ass correctly and if he does.....watch out!!!

So again, no one really knows, if it was all about attributes Raiders would've been a winning franchise along time ago. And we all know how the Raiders draft, matter fact they were about to draft Kaepernick had we not traded up for him. So who's ceiling is higher Drew Brees or Kaepernick, Kaepernick has the better attributes across the board, so I guess we'd be taking Kaepernick over Brees right.

And how can you say Harbaugh is one of the better teachers, his status has yet to be determine as one at the next level. Haley and Schottenheimer have both coached their teams to the playoffs and molded franchise QB's.

So again, no one really knows, if it was all about attributes Raiders would've been a winning franchise along time ago. And we all know how the Raiders draft, matter fact they were about to draft Kaepernick had we not traded up for him. So who's ceiling is higher Drew Brees or Kaepernick, Kaepernick has the better attributes across the board, so I guess we'd be taking Kaepernick over Brees right.

And how can you say Harbaugh is one of the better teachers, his status has yet to be determine as one at the next level. Haley and Schottenheimer have both coached their teams to the playoffs and molded franchise QB's.

The Raiders go off of one sexy attribute, usually speed. There are more attributes then just physical skill, Kap graded pretty high on the wonderlic if I remember correctly, although McElroy was higher. And other teams did have him targeted using the Raiders as a sole example is foolish (I'm sure they would take Luck if given the opportunity). You cant compare Brees, a current starting caliber QB to a rookie. Brees has already shown himself to be well above average, won a Superbowl, and a possible HOF ballot. You are throwing out the names of superstars, Kap is an unknown so to compare him throw out the name of an unknown. Comparing Kap, or Stanzi, or Luck to Brees is pointless to a discussion about potential and upside to rookie QB's who have played 3 preseason games.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

The Raiders go off of one sexy attribute, usually speed. There are more attributes then just physical skill, Kap graded pretty high on the wonderlic if I remember correctly, although McElroy was higher. And other teams did have him targeted using the Raiders as a sole example is foolish (I'm sure they would take Luck if given the opportunity). You cant compare Brees, a current starting caliber QB to a rookie. Brees has already shown himself to be well above average, won a Superbowl, and a possible HOF ballot. You are throwing out the names of superstars, Kap is an unknown so to compare him throw out the name of an unknown. Comparing Kap, or Stanzi, or Luck to Brees is pointless to a discussion about potential and upside to rookie QB's who have played 3 preseason games.

I can't compare them why not, both Kaepernick and Brees were drafted in the 2nd round, Kaepernick has better attributes/measurables. I'm not talking about what Brees has done in New Orleans only about being drafted outta the 2nd round. And now using the Raiders is foolish...why, both the 9ers and Raiders were targeting him.

Face it, the word "upside" is a ridiculous word to evaluate someone or back a player when discussing them.
Share 49ersWebzone