LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

The Ricky Stanzi Bandwagon

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Does Stanzi make it to #45? With Dalton, Mallet and Kaepernick probably going to QB hungry teams at the top of the 2nd, I think Stanzi quietly falls into our lap. I would cream my pants if we got him.

[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 29, 2011 at 08:42:42 ]
Unless we trade up to get Dalton or Kaepernick i gotta believe out target was Stanzi this whole time

Championship

Interesting thing is say we end up getting Stanzi that shows what Harbaugh thinks of the so called top QBs in this class, because other than Newton we could had any of these dudes and decided to pass on them
Originally posted by mayo49:
Does Stanzi make it to #45? With Dalton, Mallet and Kaepernick probably going to QB hungry teams at the top of the 2nd, I think Stanzi quietly falls into our lap. I would cream my pants if we got Stanzi.

Stanzi will easily be there...he's really not worth a 2nd round pick but we may get handcuffed into taking him there, altho I'd hope we try and trade down first if the intention is to take him.

Personally I'd risk seeing if he lasts til 76.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Does Stanzi make it to #45? With Dalton, Mallet and Kaepernick probably going to QB hungry teams at the top of the 2nd, I think Stanzi quietly falls into our lap. I would cream my pants if we got Stanzi.

Stanzi will easily be there...he's really not worth a 2nd round pick but we may get handcuffed into taking him there, altho I'd hope we try and trade down first if the intention is to take him.

Personally I'd risk seeing if he lasts til 76.

I wouldn't risk waiting until 76, but I also think 45 is too early. I'd like to see the Niners trade to get 2 2nd rounders-- pick a CB with the first and Stanzi with the second.

Two possible trades I could see going down are:

Niners: 76, 108, 141, 174
Colts: 53, 188

or

Niners: 45, 76, 141
Pats: 56, 60

I think the Pats want Stanzi too, so they'd probably be unlikely to trade. If we can't make either trade, then I guess you have to pick Stanzi at 45. He won't be there 76. But if you reach for him at 45, the criticism is going to really heat up, especially after Aldon Smith (who I like, even at 7). If we don't get Stanzi, then I guess Harbaugh has some other late round QB he thinks he can develop. I don't see us jumping up to get Dalton, Kaepernick or Mallett.
Everyone seems to agree hes a 3rd rounder but come 9ers turn he might not be there so just take him the 2nd with our pick. I'd hate to play the trade and go down the pecking order only for some other team to trade up and get him.
I think its going to be Stanzi the 49ers take.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

this.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ace49ers:
Everyone seems to agree hes a 3rd rounder but come 9ers turn he might not be there so just take him the 2nd with our pick. I'd hate to play the trade and go down the pecking order only for some other team to trade up and get him.

Take the drama out of it and take him in the 2nd.
Originally posted by 1251alex:

this.

I hope so
  • dj43
Originally posted by valrod33:
Unless we trade up to get Dalton or Kaepernick i gotta believe out target was Stanzi this whole time

Championship

Interesting thing is say we end up getting Stanzi that shows what Harbaugh thinks of the so called top QBs in this class, because other than Newton we could had any of these dudes and decided to pass on them
Good point.

I also do not think Dalton or Kaepernick are worth giving up a possible 3rd round pick to move up to draft either of them. Hence, I believe JH will sit tight and wait for Stanzi to be there in the 3rd. In the meantime, use the 2nd for a CB.

Today will be another wild day but at the end of it I think we will learn that Harbaugh has been serious all along about Alex being at least the interim vet QB for this year, and perhaps next, and then a rookie takes over. I do not think the 49ers will invest more than a single 3rd round pick on this year's QB group.

is Stanzi a good fit for the WCO?
Originally posted by dj43:

Championship

Good point.

I also do not think Dalton or Kaepernick are worth giving up a possible 3rd round pick to move up to draft either of them. Hence, I believe JH will sit tight and wait for Stanzi to be there in the 3rd. In the meantime, use the 2nd for a CB.

Today will be another wild day but at the end of it I think we will learn that Harbaugh has been serious all along about Alex being at least the interim vet QB for this year, and perhaps next, and then a rookie takes over. I do not think the 49ers will invest more than a single 3rd round pick on this year's QB group.

that's the way i see it playing out also.

this.

I hope so

me too. I kinda feel we'd be reaching though. But a QB is a QB I guess.
Stanzi in the third I would be fine with as long as we take a CB in the second
  • dj43

this.

I hope so

me too. I kinda feel we'd be reaching though. But a QB is a QB I guess.

It would be a big mistake to take a QB just for the sake of taking a QB when there are better values and greater needs. The only way the 49ers use their 2nd pick for a QB is if Alex tells Harbaugh that he will not come back under any circumstances.

I would not be at all surprised if today's meeting between Harbaugh and Alex is for the 49ers to get a commitment from Alex as to whether or not he will come back for at least one more season. If he agrees to stay, then the 49ers will use the 2nd round pick for a CB. If he is ambivalent or not willing to stay, then the 49ers will be forced into a trade for a vet or move up to get Dalton or Kaepernick. I don't think they will be able to afford to sit and hope Stanzi falls to them in the 3rd.
Share 49ersWebzone