There are 231 users in the forums

The Ricky Stanzi Bandwagon

Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by ninertico:
He just may be it.

“I think he’s a competitor. I think he’s a winner,” said Long, the offensive coordinator at Kansas who spent six seasons in the NFL. “That was very evident … he brought his team back numerous times, especially in his junior year. And had a lot of last-minute victories. That’s always a very good sign in your evaluation of quarterbacks.”

Moxie, thy name is Ricky Stanzi!!!!

They said the same about Ken Dorsey

any qb couldve won at the U at the time dorsey was their qb, they had nfl prospects up and down their roster.
Stanzi MAY become a decent QB at one point with coaching, good system and a lot of practice and game study.

Right now he is a backup and I really don't understand people being so excited about him. Just because Harbaugh went to see him throw doesn't automatically mean this kid is a sure pro bowler.

As a prospect he's not very good and imo the only reason to take him in the 3rd round is if there is a huge rush on QBs and even then I think it will be a reach just because we need a QB so bad with Carr being the only guy on the roster.

The fact that this is page 39/40 of a Stanzi bandwagon thread just further proves how much hype carries on the webzone.
After four years of watching him in Big Ten country, I can tell you that the reputation of Ricky Stanzi is this part of the country is a guy who will look terrific one moment, and make you think you have a stud, and then go on to break your heart the next moment.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
Stanzi MAY become a decent QB at one point with coaching, good system and a lot of practice and game study.

Right now he is a backup and I really don't understand people being so excited about him. Just because Harbaugh went to see him throw doesn't automatically mean this kid is a sure pro bowler.

As a prospect he's not very good and imo the only reason to take him in the 3rd round is if there is a huge rush on QBs and even then I think it will be a reach just because we need a QB so bad with Carr being the only guy on the roster.

The fact that this is page 39/40 of a Stanzi bandwagon thread just further proves how much hype carries on the webzone.

"As a prospect" what things doesn't he do well, in your opinion
  • evil
  • Veteran
FWIW

Quote:
SI.com analyst Tony Pauline believes Iowa QB Ricky Stanzi has no chance of developing into an NFL starter.
"Forget about it," says Pauline. "As far as I'm concerned, he's a career back up." An average talent and a game manager, Stanzi's stock has dropped after faring even worse than Cam Newton in Combine passing drills. He's a late-round prospect for teams running a West Coast offense.

Quote:
Iowa QB Ricky Stanzi's draft stock is reportedly "falling big time."
After a standout Senior Bowl, Stanzi drew even worse reviews than Cam Newton for Combine passing drills, which lends credence to the notion that he's wildly inconsistent. Stanzi's really only an average to above average talent, so perhaps we jumped the gun believing he might be in the day-two mix. At this point, he looks like no better than a late-round prospect.
Source: Judd Zulgad on Twitter

Quote:
Mike Mayock: Ricky Stanzi is a 3rd-rounder. I don't like him at the end of games. He's a project.
Originally posted by KID9R:

He doesn't really do anything well. His best assets are his mental abilities. He's smart, has good leadership and he's someone who you can trust to understand an offense. He'd be a decent game manager - like a Tim Rattay.

He improved this past season but prospect wise his ceiling is very low. His arm is mediocre at best, his accuracy isn't that consistent. He's no Ryan Mallett but he's not very athletic. Really other than his good size there isn't much about how that should warrant such high praise and some people calling for him in the 2nd round.

edit: see the post before mine as well
[ Edited by genus49 on Apr 8, 2011 at 8:40 PM ]

He doesn't really do anything well. His best assets are his mental abilities. He's smart, has good leadership and he's someone who you can trust to understand an offense. He'd be a decent game manager - like a Tim Rattay.

He improved this past season but prospect wise his ceiling is very low. His arm is mediocre at best, his accuracy isn't that consistent. He's no Ryan Mallett but he's not very athletic. Really other than his good size there isn't much about how that should warrant such high praise and some people calling for him in the 2nd round.

tom brady didn't do anything very well either, in fact they said his entire game was too slow..oh snap!
Originally posted by KRS-1:
FWIW

Quote:
SI.com analyst Tony Pauline believes Iowa QB Ricky Stanzi has no chance of developing into an NFL starter.
"Forget about it," says Pauline. "As far as I'm concerned, he's a career back up." An average talent and a game manager, Stanzi's stock has dropped after faring even worse than Cam Newton in Combine passing drills. He's a late-round prospect for teams running a West Coast offense.

Quote:
After a standout Senior Bowl, Stanzi drew even worse reviews than Cam Newton for Combine passing drills, which lends credence to the notion that he's wildly inconsistent. Stanzi's really only an average to above average talent, so perhaps we jumped the gun believing he might be in the day-two mix. At this point, he looks like no better than a late-round prospect.

Quote:
Mike Mayock: Ricky Stanzi is a 3rd-rounder. I don't like him at the end of games. He's a project.

That guy from SI is wrong. Stanzi was throwing to spots, not the WRs during those drills. I saw Mooch criticizing Ponder for completing passes in those during game changers, because he hesitated and waited for the WR to come out of his break before throwing it rather than throwing the ball to the spot as soon as he finishes the drop. That's what Stanzi was doing. And all the balls went where they were supposed to.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
FWIW

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That guy from SI is wrong. Stanzi was throwing to spots, not the WRs during those drills. I saw Mooch criticizing Ponder for completing passes in those during game changers, because he hesitated and waited for the WR to come out of his break before throwing it rather than throwing the ball to the spot as soon as he finishes the drop. That's what Stanzi was doing. And all the balls went where they were supposed to.

gtfo here with you logical post. the webzone is for extremism and irrational thought.
FWIW

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Good, I was a bit worried that he may climb into the 2nd. I would love to go CB/OLB/NT with the 1st 2 picks and then grab Stanzi in the 3rd.

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

tom brady didn't do anything very well either, in fact they said his entire game was too slow..oh snap!

Yeah and Tom Brady was a terrible prospect and that's why he went in the 6th round like he did.

Brady was also a lot more consistent than Stanzi. I'm not saying Stanzi will never be a decent QB but looking at him right NOW. He's a backup type QB. That doesn't mean he can't get better if he busts his ass...but people are raving about the kid like he's worth a 2nd round pick or higher. He's not.
Nvm
[ Edited by SFL49ER on Apr 9, 2011 at 1:55 PM ]
I think the thing people ought to look at first is whether we have someone that can develope a QB, we do now in theory (Harbaugh still has to do it in the pros) and a good system and play calling (again this still has to be proven). With that in mind Stanzi in the third or forth I am all for it.

Is is funny how people put too much stock in the combine and pro days. These things are so controled and a real game is more like chaos. How many times have we seen stocks go up because of pro days and combines, but they turn out to be busts or overated. How many times have people who do well in games but poor at the PD and combines do well in the pros.

I think Stanzi fits in the later and with Harbaugh he will do well. Great, that remains to be seen and is part of the fun drafts and rooting for your team (or cursing).
If we still have both 4th rounders, i could see using one on stansi.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Yeah and Tom Brady was a terrible prospect and that's why he went in the 6th round like he did.

Brady was also a lot more consistent than Stanzi. I'm not saying Stanzi will never be a decent QB but looking at him right NOW. He's a backup type QB. That doesn't mean he can't get better if he busts his ass...but people are raving about the kid like he's worth a 2nd round pick or higher. He's not.

well yeah, def not a 2nd rounder
Share 49ersWebzone