There are 225 users in the forums

The Ricky Stanzi Bandwagon

I don't hate Stanzi by any means, but he has some tendencies that are pretty alarming.

His value as a prospect shouldn't be higher than a 3rd, but I can't say I'd be surprised if he went earlier due to the likely run on QB's this year, and it only takes one team to really like you for you to go way earlier than expected/than you should.

I'm not sure Stanzi will be ready to start in the NFL for at least two years. If the 49ers land Stanzi, they should look to lock-up a 2-year stopgap option.
I would love to see Stanzi in a 49ers uniform. He sure he is getting a lot of pre draft hype...
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I don't hate Stanzi by any means, but he has some tendencies that are pretty alarming.

His value as a prospect shouldn't be higher than a 3rd, but I can't say I'd be surprised if he went earlier due to the likely run on QB's this year, and it only takes one team to really like you for you to go way earlier than expected/than you should.

I'm not sure Stanzi will be ready to start in the NFL for at least two years. If the 49ers land Stanzi, they should look to lock-up a 2-year stopgap option.

He needs to get stronger physically but he has already played under a pro style offense and dropped back from center and gone through reads. He kind of reminds me of Joe Montana or Brady. He's pretty tall, pretty accurate, experience in a pro style O, etc. Dont get me wrong he has a lot to work on but I felt like he has the IT factor. He played really well this year for the most part and yeah he had a s**tty bowl game, but he lost his top reciever and his starting RB IIRC.

Stanzi as QB and Hasselbeck as the stopgap please.
Originally posted by WINiner:
I want DE/CB in the 1st 2 rounds and then Stanzi in the 3rd.

Originally posted by WillistheWall:

He needs to get stronger physically but he has already played under a pro style offense and dropped back from center and gone through reads. He kind of reminds me of Joe Montana or Brady. He's pretty tall, pretty accurate, experience in a pro style O, etc. Dont get me wrong he has a lot to work on but I felt like he has the IT factor. He played really well this year for the most part and yeah he had a s**tty bowl game, but he lost his top reciever and his starting RB IIRC.

Originally posted by WillistheWall:

To be fair on judging Stanzi, no one should really use the "lost his starting RB" thing as an excuse. Marcus Coker was INCREDIBLE for them. Stanzi barely needed to throw in the bowl game as Coker just beat the ever-lovin' bejesus out of Missouri for 220 yards and 3 TDs.

It was disappointing because I don't think Stanzi was ever in a rhythm that game. But back to the point, one can concede the loss of the WR, but RB was not an issue.

All in all though, I wouldn't mind us getting Stanzi, but I'm a fan of other options due to the likelihood that they would be ready sooner than Stanzi would.

On an interesting sidenote, like Stanzi, all of the other top QB's in this draft have played behind very, very good OL's with the exception of one -- Jake Locker. I've been pondering this point a little more heavily lately as I tweak player grades leading up to the draft. Just about all the other QB's had a pair of standouts or very solid players on the OL:

Gabbert - Tim Barnes and Elvish Fisher
Newton - Lee Ziemba and Ryan Pugh
Ponder - Rodney Hudson, Andrew Datko, and Bryan Stork
Mallett - DeMarcus Love, Ray Dominguez, Travis Swanson, and Alvin Bailey
Dalton - Jake Kirkpatrick and Marcus Cannon
Stanzi - Riley Reiff and Julian Vendervelde (and last year had Bryan Bulaga and Kyle Calloway)
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by Hammerthrow99:
I've been a fan of drafting Dalton in the second round, but I wouldn't want to trade back into round one for him. Honestly, I don't think there's a QB in the draft worthy of a 1st round selection. The more I hear about Stanzi, the more I'd like to see him develop under Harbaugh. Wouldn't mind sending a 4th or 5th to Tampa to bring Josh Johnson back to the bay and start him with Stanzi riding pine for one or two seasons. It's been way to long since we've drafted and developed a qb. Really hoping Peterson is there at #7.

So you want to go into next season with Josh Johnson as the starter and Stanzi as the backup? LOL, that's not a plan, that's a joke.

It's still better than having Alex Smith starting with Carr as the only backup.

id rather have Alex starting with Stanzi as backup, Josh Johnson should never be your only option as starter.

Can't be any worse with Johnson at the helm.

You're insane if you think Johnson is better than Alex, get a clue. Making up scenarios doesn't say much either. This team needs to come up with better options than Josh Johnson, definitely.

Thank you. I don't see what's so great about Josh Johnson and why anyone would want to trade anything for him. I understand that Harbaugh has coached him before, believe me, I get that. But why should we trade anything for a guy who is never going to be more than a backup?

If...big if, JH wants to pull the trigger then I'm intrigued and want to see it done. JJ is more familiar than Smith with JH's offense. Smith is familiar with the players but not the offense. As I have said, Smith's own college coach and a lot of Smith backers have complained that he needs to get familiar with the offense which takes a year or two for him to get comfortable if you follow that logic. Well guess what it is a new system.

Nobody thought Brady had it in him to replace Bledsoe at the time, or that an arena league QB named Warner would do it either. You may be right, he may not be the solution, but you cannot say never either! If any of us are experts we wouldn't be typing on a forum as arm chair coaches etc and would be instead be part of a team in a professional capacity.

So I won't judge a person until they are given a fair chance. Also remember one man's junk is another man's treasure and vice versa. Plus we all agree, that the next QB is a stop gap measure, but with JJ if JH does want him and he does well, then we have a young capable QB. Trading him for a 4th or 5th (which is the round he was taken) is no less than taking a Stanzi in the third.
I see what everyone is talking about with that compariosn: They are about the same size, They both played in the Big 10, and They both have/had questions about their athleticism. I also think that Stanzi's manerisms are comparable to Tom's when he came out of Michigan. That being said, The fact that they are similar does not mean that Ricky will be the next Tom Brady, but who know? Maybe I'm wrong.
Originally posted by ace49ers:
I like the Stanzi pick, Im going 2nd round with this guy.

THIS!!! Stanzi needs to be drafted by us so we don't regret not picking him like we do with the D. Jackson case.
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by ace49ers:
Im still rocking the Stanzi bandwagon!!

Damn skippy...Stanzi in the 3rd baby!!!

2nd or 3rd

I think I'm becoming a believer in the Stanzi hype.
Originally posted by I-U-Porta-Poties:
I think I'm becoming a believer in the Stanzi hype.

BELIEVE!!!
He just may be it.

“I think he’s a competitor. I think he’s a winner,” said Long, the offensive coordinator at Kansas who spent six seasons in the NFL. “That was very evident … he brought his team back numerous times, especially in his junior year. And had a lot of last-minute victories. That’s always a very good sign in your evaluation of quarterbacks.”

Moxie, thy name is Ricky Stanzi!!!!

Getting him also gives us a chance to draft two impact players (OLB / CB / NT) with the first two picks and solid those positions.

1st Peterson
2nd Brooks
3rd Powell
4th Stanzi
Originally posted by ninertico:
He just may be it.

“I think he’s a competitor. I think he’s a winner,” said Long, the offensive coordinator at Kansas who spent six seasons in the NFL. “That was very evident … he brought his team back numerous times, especially in his junior year. And had a lot of last-minute victories. That’s always a very good sign in your evaluation of quarterbacks.”

Moxie, thy name is Ricky Stanzi!!!!

They said the same about Ken Dorsey
Share 49ersWebzone