LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

The Ricky Stanzi Bandwagon

In his last drive in the senior bowl he had some really pretty throws. His arm looked just fine.
Rollin, rollin, rollin!
The thing about Stanzi and why they compare him to Brady, is that in college he
1) Improved each year.
2) Wasn't spectacular but got the job done.
3) Plays in the same conference (same level of competition)
4) Similar succes at their respected schools

I think if Iowa was in the top 3 or four at the end of the year he would get more mention. Never underestimate the hype that comes with playing in big dance or the second biggest dance. You can't say it hasn't inflated Fairley's or Cams stock.
Originally posted by Hammerthrow99:
I've been a fan of drafting Dalton in the second round, but I wouldn't want to trade back into round one for him. Honestly, I don't think there's a QB in the draft worthy of a 1st round selection. The more I hear about Stanzi, the more I'd like to see him develop under Harbaugh. Wouldn't mind sending a 4th or 5th to Tampa to bring Josh Johnson back to the bay and start him with Stanzi riding pine for one or two seasons. It's been way to long since we've drafted and developed a qb. Really hoping Peterson is there at #7.

So you want to go into next season with Josh Johnson as the starter and Stanzi as the backup? LOL, that's not a plan, that's a joke.
[ Edited by binary2nd on Apr 7, 2011 at 12:32 PM ]
To me, this sounds like an agents dream PR sound bite. Nothing like pumping a guys draft stock right before the big day.

The thing that intrigues me most about Stanzi is his potential available draft position. I am not in love with ANY of the QB's in this draft. Newton, Mallet, and Kapernik seem like they have the most potential to be big time, 300 yard+ QBs. Everyone else just seem like career back ups or game managers.

I'm sure that some of them will end up being Jeff Garcia like surprises, but whats the odds of hitting the diamond in the rough?

I'd much rather focus on other impact positions in rounds 1 & 2, and then take a shot at a QB in rounds 3 or 4. If they get a guy who steps up, great. If not, use next years pick on a higher rated QB when the QB crop will hopefully be better.
Originally posted by Butter:
To me, this sounds like an agents dream PR sound bite. Nothing like pumping a guys draft stock right before the big day.

The thing that intrigues me most about Stanzi is his potential available draft position. I am not in love with ANY of the QB's in this draft. Newton, Mallet, and Kapernik seem like they have the most potential to be big time, 300 yard+ QBs. Everyone else just seem like career back ups or game managers.

I'm sure that some of them will end up being Jeff Garcia like surprises, but whats the odds of hitting the diamond in the rough?

I'd much rather focus on other impact positions in rounds 1 & 2, and then take a shot at a QB in rounds 3 or 4. If they get a guy who steps up, great. If not, use next years pick on a higher rated QB when the QB crop will hopefully be better.

I agree with you. As far as finding Gems such as Brady, Montana, Warner, etc, is dependent on your equipment. Like digging for gold during the gold rush, they thought everything had been mined, and lots of people gave up their claims, but the Chinese invented a device that allowed them to find these small nuggets,
the equipment being the scouts and personnel people and coaches.
Originally posted by binary2nd:
I've been a fan of drafting Dalton in the second round, but I wouldn't want to trade back into round one for him. Honestly, I don't think there's a QB in the draft worthy of a 1st round selection. The more I hear about Stanzi, the more I'd like to see him develop under Harbaugh. Wouldn't mind sending a 4th or 5th to Tampa to bring Josh Johnson back to the bay and start him with Stanzi riding pine for one or two seasons. It's been way to long since we've drafted and developed a qb. Really hoping Peterson is there at #7.

So you want to go into next season with Josh Johnson as the starter and Stanzi as the backup? LOL, that's not a plan, that's a joke.

It's still better than having Alex Smith starting with Carr as the only backup.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

id rather have Alex starting with Stanzi as backup, Josh Johnson should never be your only option as starter.
I want DE/CB in the 1st 2 rounds and then Stanzi in the 3rd.

id rather have Alex starting with Stanzi as backup, Josh Johnson should never be your only option as starter.

Can't be any worse with Johnson at the helm. We have been in the top ten or near it in the draft for to many years. Alex needs to learn the offense for several years to be comfortable is the excuse, well here comes Harbaugh, its a new offense. The only thing good is maybe it will give Harbaugh an excuse whenever AS is doing bad, he plugs in the QB that is drafted after Alex is pulled to give him some playing time and live experience in certain situations to give the rookie exposure and confidence.

Actually the reason people are comparing him to Brady is due to this article:Stanzi is the best QB in the draft

I was very skeptical at first, and still am somewhat. However, looking at the data they have given, as well as how the data stacks up historically to drafted QBs, even strong doubters have to give some credence to the idea.

However, the fact is that if some guy on a website can come up with this, so can NFL scouts. Therefore, to all the people expecting him to last until the 4th, there's simply no way. Due to the vast number of teams looking for QBs, and the uncertain labor situation, I don't think Stanzi will last past the end of the second round, perhaps the beginning of the third.

My theory is that you'll see 4 QBs go in the first round with Newton, Gabbert, Ponder and Locker (in that order). Then there will be a mad scramble to trade with the Patriots for the 33rd pick after day 1 of the draft, and within the first 10 picks of the second round, you'll see at least another 2 QBs go with Dalton, Kaepernick and potentially Mallet.

TLDR: Stanzi could be a hell of a lot better than people think, and the true winners in the draft will be the Patriots, who will be all but assured of a another 1st rounder in next year's draft.
[ Edited by Niners23 on Apr 7, 2011 at 2:38 PM ]
I'd take Stanzi in the 3rd if we don't go get Ponder or Dalton.
Originally posted by WildBill:

Can't be any worse with Johnson at the helm.

You're insane if you think Johnson is better than Alex, get a clue. Making up scenarios doesn't say much either. This team needs to come up with better options than Josh Johnson, definitely.
[ Edited by binary2nd on Apr 7, 2011 at 2:54 PM ]
Originally posted by WildBill:

Can't be any worse with Johnson at the helm.

You're insane if you think Johnson is better than Alex, get a clue. Making up scenarios doesn't say much either. This team needs to come up with better options than Josh Johnson, definitely.

Thank you. I don't see what's so great about Josh Johnson and why anyone would want to trade anything for him. I understand that Harbaugh has coached him before, believe me, I get that. But why should we trade anything for a guy who is never going to be more than a backup?
Share 49ersWebzone