LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 295 users in the forums

The Ricky Stanzi Bandwagon

• Dino
  • Veteran
i haven't watched him enough to pass judgment. last year when i seen him a few games he was pretty bad. this year looks like he's tearing it up.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
There are three issues with Stanzi that we'll have to heavily consider if we're going to draft him.

1) Lack of arm strength -- If we are going to try to force him into a deep-ball offense, we're kidding ourselves. We better understand what kind of QB is, know his strengths, and mold the offense to fit that.

2) He won't be ready right away. Stanzi is not a fully polished product and will need time to develop. At least one year watching, preferably, and then playing time to really get into the flow of things. I like Stanzi, but it's quite obvious he's just not "there" yet.

3) Stanzi can get wild with the football. And the bad kind. In the NFL, the things he may try to do, try to force, will get him in huge trouble. As shown last year, he was making some horrific decisions leading to Pick-6's. Usually, even when that number goes down in college, it's a terrifying thing to think of if you're looking for a future QB. Grossman has this same problem of being careless, and at the worst times. If a QB has EVER had that particular problem at one point in their career, it's absolutely horrifying sometimes to wonder if it really was just growing pains or if it was an irreparable mental issue that will resurface in the Pro's, haunting he and whatever team he's on for the duration of his playing days.

And this is precisely why he's going to go in the mid rounds and why we need to sign a vet or hope Troy Smith does well enough to be at least a stop gap. If Smith does well and looks like we might have something, then Stanzi becomes a very solid back up.

And just to point out once again, how overrated arm strength is:

Quote:
"When the 1979 draft was approaching and the Cotton Bowl glow had worn off, the NFL scouts got together and started putting down numbers for Montana. One combine gave him a grade of 6 1/2 with 9 being the top of the scale and 1 the bottom. Washington State's Jack Thompson got the highest grade among the quarterbacks -- 8. Montana's arm was rated a 6, or average. "He can thread the needle," the report said, "but usually goes with his primary receiver and forces the ball to him even when he's in a crowd. He's a gutty, gambling, cocky type. Doesn't have great tools but could eventually start." The dumb teams believed the report. The smart one has won four Super Bowls."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/centurys_best/news/1999/08/13/flashback_montana2/
[ Edited by darkknight49 on Nov 4, 2010 at 7:08 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
There are three issues with Stanzi that we'll have to heavily consider if we're going to draft him.

1) Lack of arm strength -- If we are going to try to force him into a deep-ball offense, we're kidding ourselves. We better understand what kind of QB is, know his strengths, and mold the offense to fit that.

2) He won't be ready right away. Stanzi is not a fully polished product and will need time to develop. At least one year watching, preferably, and then playing time to really get into the flow of things. I like Stanzi, but it's quite obvious he's just not "there" yet.

3) Stanzi can get wild with the football. And the bad kind. In the NFL, the things he may try to do, try to force, will get him in huge trouble. As shown last year, he was making some horrific decisions leading to Pick-6's. Usually, even when that number goes down in college, it's a terrifying thing to think of if you're looking for a future QB. Grossman has this same problem of being careless, and at the worst times. If a QB has EVER had that particular problem at one point in their career, it's absolutely horrifying sometimes to wonder if it really was just growing pains or if it was an irreparable mental issue that will resurface in the Pro's, haunting he and whatever team he's on for the duration of his playing days.

He doesn't have a cannon arm like Locker, but it's definitely not weak (which some posters have noted). Our offense isn't built like the Colts or the Patriots so we really don't have to worry about our QB being able to throw 50 yards every play. The fact that he can throw a very accurate 30-40 yard pass is good for me.

As for points 2 and 3, I do tend to agree. He has made a lot of improvement with his decision making in his senior year. He's smarter with the ball and he's making reads a lot quicker. I don't think anyone on here expected us to draft him and start right away. But he looks like a player that learns very quickly and with his experience under a Kirk Ferentz offense, I think he'd progress nicely in the pros.
I'm on this wagon if we win enough meaningless games to miss out on Luck!
His decision making really worries me. I see him as no higher than a 3rd rounder that will need time to develop.
Originally posted by lamontb:
His decision making really worries me. I see him as no higher than a 3rd rounder that will need time to develop.

But that's exactly what he's improved on this year. He was criticized last year for his decision making skills while throwing pick after pick, but this year, he hasn't forced too many passes and has only thrown 2 interceptions with one of them being the receiver's fault.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

But that's exactly what he's improved on this year. He was criticized last year for his decision making skills while throwing pick after pick, but this year, he hasn't forced too many passes and has only thrown 2 interceptions with one of them being the receiver's fault.

I watched him last week and saw several passes completed that would have been picked in the NFL. I like his moxie, but think his decision making is still an issue.
Originally posted by WINiner:

I watched him last week and saw several passes completed that would have been picked in the NFL. I like his moxie, but think his decision making is still an issue.

He completed 11 passes that game against Michigan State but I only saw two passes that may have been bad; the short slant he threw for a TD that had 3 defenders around the area, and the pass he threw off his back foot due to pressure from the defender. If his tight end hadn't outjumped the corner, than it probably woulda been picked.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
~ Weak arm.
~ Can't throw deep.
~ Can't make all the throws.
~ Overrated on the WZ.

yeah ok....
~ Weak arm.
~ Can't throw deep.
~ Overrated on the WZ.

This was posted by Thorhawk from the "Quarterback Watch" thread:

Quote:
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/18578/ricky-stanzi-the-critical-hawkeye

"Stanzi has been dead-on with the deep ball this season, tossing four touchdown passes of longer than 30 yards, all to senior wideout Derrell Johnson-Koulianos. Stanzi has completed six passes of 40 yards or longer and 11 passes of 30 yards or longer in his first seven games."

You can add another 30 yard td pass to the total. So can we please stop with this nonsense that stanzi does not throw well deep? I see him complete a long pass down field in just about every game he plays.

More proof that you obviously haven't watched this QB. The guy can throw a 30-40 yard pass with some zip and plenty of accuracy.

And how the hell can he be overrated?! He's not even a 1st round prospect and in some draftnik boards, he's not even a top prospect in the 2nd round, although he should be. He has progressed a lot since his junior year.

I've watched him play plenty of times. And he can't throw deep. He sucks at the deep ball. Alex Smith throws a much better deep ball.

Ok, this is coming from the guy that said Andrew Luck was a statue and not athletic

~ Weak arm.
~ Can't throw deep.
~ Overrated on the WZ.

Quote:
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/18578/ricky-stanzi-the-critical-hawkeye

"Stanzi has been dead-on with the deep ball this season, tossing four touchdown passes of longer than 30 yards, all to senior wideout Derrell Johnson-Koulianos. Stanzi has completed six passes of 40 yards or longer and 11 passes of 30 yards or longer in his first seven games."

You can add another 30 yard td pass to the total. So can we please stop with this nonsense that stanzi does not throw well deep? I see him complete a long pass down field in just about every game he plays.

More proof that you obviously haven't watched this QB. The guy can throw a 30-40 yard pass with some zip and plenty of accuracy.

And how the hell can he be overrated?! He's not even a 1st round prospect and in some draftnik boards, he's not even a top prospect in the 2nd round, although he should be. He has progressed a lot since his junior year.

I've watched him play plenty of times. And he can't throw deep. He sucks at the deep ball. Alex Smith throws a much better deep ball.

Ok, this is coming from the guy that said Andrew Luck was a statue and not athletic

Alex does throw a good deep ball. Which is where Stanzi struggles. Where Alex struggles is the short to medium range stuff. Which is where Stanzi can be good in streaks...
~ Weak arm.
~ Can't throw deep.
~ Overrated on the WZ.

Quote:

Alex does throw a good deep ball. Which is where Stanzi struggles. Where Alex struggles is the short to medium range stuff. Which is where Stanzi can be good in streaks...

Well, I agree with you that Alex does throw a nice deep ball but he is still a bit inaccurate in that department.
~ Weak arm.
~ Can't throw deep.
~ Overrated on the WZ.

Quote:

Yep good in streaks. I means hes only completing 70% of his passes. Go back to ninertalk and b***h about the yorks or the 49ers not drafting dez bryant. Your credibility in evaluating college qbs has been been compromised.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
~ Weak arm.
~ Can't throw deep.
~ Overrated on the WZ.

Quote:

Yep good in streaks. I means hes only completing 70% of his passes. Go back to ninertalk and b***h about the yorks or the 49ers not drafting dez bryant. Your credibility in evaluating college qbs has been been compromised.

He doesn't have arm strength. And he is streaky. On and off. I've watched him play many times. And I don't have to go anywhere...
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
~ Weak arm.
~ Can't throw deep.
~ Overrated on the WZ.

Quote:

He doesn't have arm strength. And he is streaky. On and off. I've watched him play many times. And I don't have to go anywhere...

I've watched him play everytime.
Share 49ersWebzone