There are 73 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Ricky Stanzi Bandwagon

Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
Honestly, I think trading down(if we don't make the playoffs) is not a bad idea. We gotta a lot of holes on this team and we need to fill them asap. Think about drafting: Marvin Austin, Ras-I Dowling, and Stanzi in the first 2 rounds. I would love that.f

Stanzi isnt a 2nd rd pick lol. 5th or 6th at the highest 4th. There is just too many bad games vs good games. Come draft time this kid will drop when his tape & workouts are compared to others. There is Locker,Mallet, Newton,Pryor,Ponder and Devlin ahead of him. Plus if Luck declares further pushes him down. Iowa has a monster DE whos insanely great who won them more games than Stanzi. There is also quite a few pass rushers and DBs that will keep back up QBs like Stanzi in the late rds.
^^^ Thank you for your well thought out opinion on the future. In reality it only takes one team to value a player in a certain round in order for that player to be selected. You might be correct in your analysis...I just happen to value the kid higher than you do, but I still wouldn't mind trading down to gain more pics either way.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Honestly, I think trading down(if we don't make the playoffs) is not a bad idea. We gotta a lot of holes on this team and we need to fill them asap. Think about drafting: Marvin Austin, Ras-I Dowling, and Stanzi in the first 2 rounds. I would love that.f

Stanzi isnt a 2nd rd pick lol. 5th or 6th at the highest 4th. There is just too many bad games vs good games. Come draft time this kid will drop when his tape & workouts are compared to others. There is Locker,Mallet, Newton,Pryor,Ponder and Devlin ahead of him. Plus if Luck declares further pushes him down. Iowa has a monster DE whos insanely great who won them more games than Stanzi. There is also quite a few pass rushers and DBs that will keep back up QBs like Stanzi in the late rds.

lol, you talk about good games vs. bad, yet you have Ponder ahead of him, who's much more inconsistent and Devlin, who'll be a project in the NFL compared to Stanz's mechanics. Watch the Senior Bowl and Combine, I have a feeling he'll boost his stock big time because he comes from a Pro style offense.

who is this monster DE who is insanely great who won more games for the hwakeyes than stanzi?
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

who is this monster DE who is insanely great who won more games for the hwakeyes than stanzi?

Yeah Clayborn really wasn't that good this year. Only 4 sacks and I saw him sucking wind on the sidelines a lot when I watched them play. He's a good player still but I wouldn't be surprised to see his stock slide. He seemed out of shape.

Adrian Clayborn dudes a monster always doubled teamed some times triple teamed. If you ever watched Iowa you heard about him. All American relentless player. He was gimpy this year like much of their defense but teams always had to gang up on him. He is a definate difference maker. You will be hearing about him more n more later.

Adrian Clayborn dudes a monster always doubled teamed some times triple teamed. If you ever watched Iowa you heard about him. All American relentless player. He was gimpy this year like much of their defense but teams always had to gang up on him. He is a definate difference maker. You will be hearing about him more n more later.

Dude Thorhawk watches more Iowa games than you do and probably knows more about their players. He's a Hawkeyes fan IIRC and he's been somewhat critical of Clayborn, who had a dissapointing season.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Dude Thorhawk watches more Iowa games than you do and probably knows more about their players. He's a Hawkeyes fan IIRC and he's been somewhat critical of Clayborn, who had a dissapointing season.

49er fan and Hawkeye fan too ouch. 2 teams who disappoint Bet hes a Knicks and Mets fan too
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

49er fan and Hawkeye fan too ouch. 2 teams who disappoint Bet hes a Knicks and Mets fan too
actually a cubs fan and I could not care any less about basketball.

The thing about clayborn that really bothered this season more than anything is that he had zero impact plays. He rarely got pressure on the qb, and when the team needed him on the field in the 4th quarter he was on the sideline sucking wind and looking out of shape.

He seemed disinterested and distracted the whole season. As a matter of fact the entire team seemed to lose focus the 2nd half of the season and stumbled to the finish line. There was talk of him hiding a leg injury this season, but I don't know for sure.

Couldn't agree more. Stanzi is not worth a selection even in the later rounds (I value other late round QB options more than Stanzi, such as Tolzien, Tyrod Taylor, Enderle, etc.) Adrian Clayborn is projected by McShay as a mid-1st rounder and clearly a better pro prospect than Stanzi, although I don't want him either as McShay admitted he's underperformed this year. Steering clear of Iowa football would be a good idea this draft I think.
I will be watching The Insight Bowl very closely because both QBs could be sleeper picks.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
I will be watching The Insight Bowl very closely because both QBs could be sleeper picks.

dont know if anyone else saw this but on the oon the clock special on espn news yesterday, the "expert" the were interviewing (never heard of him, wasnt mccshay or kiper) had gabbert as the number 2 rated qb behind of luck, ahead of newton and mallett, my jaw hit the ground
The Stanzinator can scramble too.
Stanzi reminds me a lot of a sort of Chad Pennington, but i guess a liiiiiitle stronger arm

I guess a Colt McCoy

[ Edited by TheGoldenState on Dec 28, 2010 at 19:30:22 ]
Originally posted by cory4903:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

dont know if anyone else saw this but on the oon the clock special on espn news yesterday, the "expert" the were interviewing (never heard of him, wasnt mccshay or kiper) had gabbert as the number 2 rated qb behind of luck, ahead of newton and mallett, my jaw hit the ground

He has played well so far, but he has operated mostly out of the gun, which I think will turn the Niners away because of Alex Smith's history....That is, if they even have the chance to pick him.