LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 261 users in the forums

The Week 9 Suggestion Box

The Week 9 Suggestion Box

As of now, which position would you like to see drafted in the first round? I will do another one of these in a few weeks, then another later on. Just want to see what the basic thoughts are throughout the season.
When it's all said and done we'll have a high pick, but not #1. But I don't see us burning the pick on either Locker or Mallett. So we are in prime DL or CB mode.
I put CB because it looks like that will be the highest value at our current slot. The top rated QB's will be off the board and likely 2 top dline. At 5 I would guess right now it would be either Marcel Dareus, Patrick Peterson and one of the top WR's in a strong class for them.

Found this twitter post by Randy Cross interesting:

Top 2011 NFL Draft prospects (not in draft order)

* 3rd year players included

QB Cameron Newton
QB Andrew Luck
QB Ryan Mallett
CB Patrick Peterson
WR A.J. Green
DT Nick Fairley
DE Adrian Clayborn
CB Prince Amukamara
OT Derek Sherrod
DE Cameron Heyward
[ Edited by ChaunceyGardner on Nov 4, 2010 at 9:33 AM ]
Newton, interesting
If we have a top 5 pick, Luck or Peterson. If neither, then we take a strong look at Marcell Dareus and Robert Quinn. If not, then we trade down.
Be sure to vote
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
QB Luck
CB Peterson
DT/DE Dareus
CB Amukamara
WR Green

in that order if the 49ers stay towards the top of the draft.
[ Edited by 23zack80 on Nov 8, 2010 at 2:47 PM ]
Luck would be the only 1st round QB option for me, but he'll probably be gone before we pick. Not a fan of giving up so much to move up for him.

I think CB is the likely pick in the first, but could be that Amukamara + Peterson are both gone when we pick. In that case, and assuming no other CB is worth our spot... I'm not overwhelmed with our 1st rd options.

Pretty wild to be breaking down the draft in-depth in November. Not sure about a big board, but I'm thinking that if we pick around #12 and these guys are gone?

*Andrew Luck QB Stanford
*Patrick Peterson CB LSU
*Robert Quinn DE North Carolina (O)
*A.J. Green WR Georgia
Adrian Clayborn DE Iowa
*Nick Fairley DT Auburn
*Julio Jones WR Alabama
*Marcel Dareus DE Alabama (O)
Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska

Then just trade back a ways... and I'm not a big fan of drafting a 3-4 DE in the first either... but Justin's getting up in age, and RayMac's contract is up.
im gonna go out and say if luck, peterson or akuwhatever is gone by the time we pick and aj green is on the board when were up i pray we take him

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
im gonna go out and say if luck, peterson or akuwhatever is gone by the time we pick and aj green is on the board when were up i pray we take him

And if Greene is gone, I'd take Julio Jones and not be upset about it.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

And if Greene is gone, I'd take Julio Jones and not be upset about it.

As much as I like those big play WRs like Green and Jones do we need a #2 WR as much as QB, CB, pass rushing OLB, FS, RG, etc? We could go the strategy of BPA but we often don't. Plus even if those guys turn out to be a #1 I don't know if that works well with a Crabtree on the other side. It's tough to keep to star WRs (Boldin/Fitz, Housh/CJ, etc). At some point you usually get fighting over who is #1 and who should be getting paid more, etc.
uh herro!!??? QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Besides Luck, which QB is worth the pick? The Locker of last year, maybe? Ryan Mallett? Don't think so. Either of the two CB's (Peterson or Amukamara) would be the best value pick if the Niners end up either 4th or 5th in the draft order.
Probably QB. If not QB, then CB.
Share 49ersWebzone