There are 254 users in the forums

Do we keep Alex Smith for '11 even if we draft a QB in the first round?

yes alex is a perfect #2
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
draft Luck, play Smith in 2011 until Luck is ready, if smith plays well and Luck is almost ready, trade smith.

While this may seem like an ok move for us...it's a retarded move for Smith and Condon. Smith needs to finish this year as strong as he can and bail for another team while his stock is "high." His stock will be artificially high if he comes back and plays decent against a soft schedule.

Smith coming back next year would be a really poor business decision on his part. It would be an extremely risky move for everyone involved and would be based on Smith playing lights out after coming back from injury. Even then...why would he ever want to come back? He'd have to go 16-0 every year to not hear boos and get sht from fans. Smith is the whipping boy in SF now. He needs to go somewhere and get a fresh start with a team thats well coached and runs an offense catering to his stregnth.
thats true but i was just saying that would be the ideal situation. the question is if we should keep smith even if we draft a rookie. ofcourse it all depends on if he wants to resign but id say bring him back. maybe the new coach likes him, gruden was all about smith in any interview he's talked about him in, im sure there are others who believe he can be a good QB in the right system. i think smith deciding to stay with the niners will be based on who is the HC next year.

That was 6 years ago before he snapped a ball in this league. Besides Gruden ain't going to be and neither will Alex.

Just as it's foolish to assume Alex will be a pro bowler with us next year or this year...it's equally foolish to assume NO other offensive minded coach would want to try their hand at Smith. People forget that after ALL the sht he's been through...he is still 26. That's still pretty young.

If Smith finds a team to start for next year...or even the year after..he would still have 8+ years of productivity (assuming he retires after 35).

All that aside...I'd bring Alex back...

...as our offensive coordinator. He's been our best play caller since 2002. Haha.
Alex will sign somewhere else where he will compete to be a starter.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

All that aside...I'd bring Alex back...

...as our offensive coordinator. He's been our best play caller since 2002. Haha.

Sad but true. at our coaching staff.
i say we barge up in the Colts facility and kidnap that one guy name Manning.
we'll be A OK for '11.

we'll drop off 3 other replacements for them some dudes name smith, carr and davis.
I wouldn't mind Alex finding out what Deberg thought of Walsh's approach to grooming Montana.
Share 49ersWebzone