LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 207 users in the forums

What do y'all think of Cam Newton?

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
It seems like everyone agrees that Newton's biggest flaw (how big it is is debatable) is character/personality.

So what I'm wondering is, if we were able to acquire both Newton and McNabb, could McNabb help develop Newton into a mature pro?

I understand people not being sold on McNabb's skills these days, but no one can deny that he's one of the classiest, most mature pros in the league. And many of the on the field criticisms of Newton are the same ones McNabb faced when he came out; runs too much, poor decision making, etc. McNabb, more than most vets, also seems very into the idea of mentoring younger QBs.

No matter who we draft at QB, we're going to need a vet QB to start for at least a year. So why not pair Newton with a QB who is exceptional in all the areas Newton is supposed to be deficient?

If we got both those QBs and HC that runs the west coast, I think we could finally set our offense straight.

Is this idea crazy?

I'm not sure McNabb is going to want to sign with a team to be a mentor for one/two years and then be looking for a new job. I am sure he thinks he can play at a high level for longer then that.
Originally posted by Jcool:
It seems like everyone agrees that Newton's biggest flaw (how big it is is debatable) is character/personality.

So what I'm wondering is, if we were able to acquire both Newton and McNabb, could McNabb help develop Newton into a mature pro?

I understand people not being sold on McNabb's skills these days, but no one can deny that he's one of the classiest, most mature pros in the league. And many of the on the field criticisms of Newton are the same ones McNabb faced when he came out; runs too much, poor decision making, etc. McNabb, more than most vets, also seems very into the idea of mentoring younger QBs.

No matter who we draft at QB, we're going to need a vet QB to start for at least a year. So why not pair Newton with a QB who is exceptional in all the areas Newton is supposed to be deficient?

If we got both those QBs and HC that runs the west coast, I think we could finally set our offense straight.

Is this idea crazy?

I'm not sure McNabb is going to want to sign with a team to be a mentor for one/two years and then be looking for a new job. I am sure he thinks he can play at a high level for longer then that.

Well that's certainly a possibility. But part of being confident is thinking that you can beat out a talented young rookie and lock the job down. So maybe he'd risk it. That gamble certainly paid off for Warner (although maybe they picked him up before drafting Leinart).
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Is this idea crazy?

Well that's certainly a possibility. But part of being confident is thinking that you can beat out a talented young rookie and lock the job down. So maybe he'd risk it. That gamble certainly paid off for Warner (although maybe they picked him up before drafting Leinart).

Yeah but also for the amount McNabb will want + paying a rookie QB... i think we go in another direction.

Is this idea crazy?

The whole point of the Redskins signed McNabb to the big contract with very little guaranteed is to have the ability to trade him.

So not only would we pay out the wazoo for his services, but we would most likley trade draft picks for him

Is this idea crazy?

Yeah but also for the amount McNabb will want + paying a rookie QB... i think we go in another direction.

I'm really not sure what kind of contract McNabb will be able to swing. With all the QB needy teams out there he could get a real nice one. But I also think GMs are pretty quick to turn their backs on players deemed past their prime.

I keep bringing up Warner because I think his situation was really similar. No one thought he would be anything more than a backup, or maybe a bridge QB when he left NY. And I don't think his first contract with ARZ was very big because he did not have a lot of teams going after him.

So basically, I'm taking a lot of time to say: anything could happen.

Is this idea crazy?

I'm really not sure what kind of contract McNabb will be able to swing. With all the QB needy teams out there he could get a real nice one. But I also think GMs are pretty quick to turn their backs on players deemed past their prime.

I keep bringing up Warner because I think his situation was really similar. No one thought he would be anything more than a backup, or maybe a bridge QB when he left NY. And I don't think his first contract with ARZ was very big because he did not have a lot of teams going after him.

5 years $78 million
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

Is this idea crazy?

5 years $78 million

But since there's no guaranteed money, you can cut him anytime and not be on the hook for anything. So if he's starting, he's making good, but not outrageous, starter money. If he loses his starting job, then you cut him.

Anyway, I'm not convinced that he will be traded. The Redskins have seriously tipped their hand here, and everyone knows they don't want to keep him. I think teams might just wait for him to be released.

I do see your point, though, that if Newton is drafted before the new CBA he will certainly try to get $10 mil a year or more. So you could end up paying two QBs more than $10 mil apiece, which be rough.

Still, I like the idea of Newton learning from McNabb for two years and then taking over, all with Gruden as the HC.
No. Naw. Hell no.
I really want Newton. He can make all the throws, he has the best running ability from any top QB since M.Vick, and he is a winner who doesn't get ruffled and leads his team back from huge deficits. Oh, and he is the 1st or 2nd top-rated passer in all of college football this year. What more do you want?

The downside I see is yes the maturity. When he was mixing Gatorade flavors together on the sideline during the SEC championship game, giving it to the sideline reporter and calling it 'Cam-Cam Juice' I was thinking, "What, are you 9 years old?". But he always has a smile and a joking attitude, which I could appreciate.
Charismatic leader. Superior talent in college. Unsure about his intangibles/decision making on/off the field. He epitomozes the phrase "boom or bust."

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Charismatic leader. Superior talent in college. Unsure about his intangibles/decision making on/off the field. He epitomozes the phrase "boom or bust."

Isn't that an intangible?

Charisma would be an intangible. Im just not convinced he is worthy of a top 10 pick. Like I said Im unsure. Its easy to be charismatic when you are winning and you are the big man on campus. Vince Young was quite charismatic and confident at Texas, only to have it all crumble just a few years into his career. Im concerned if he has the guts and fortitude and dedication to perfecting his craft.

I'd rather have someone more serious and focused like P. Manning.

It is a sign of the mental state a QB has to have in the NFL.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Everything I've seen personally shows he can "focus" given all the media and fan scrutiny while he's preparing for an upcoming game. In the last three games, you can see it too. There is no doubt he has the capacity.

As long as he's in an environment that caters to film study and preparation while leaving the clubbin' scene behind, he will blossom into a quality franchise QB. His talent is there to do it. Now he needs the right development and environment to reach it.

Of course, in my lame opinion...
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Well i would LOVE to have Peyton Manning but something tell me the Colts just arent ready to trade him.

[ Edited by Jcool on Jan 2, 2011 at 13:01:46 ]
Share 49ersWebzone