LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 203 users in the forums

What do y'all think of Cam Newton?

Originally posted by binary2nd:
The object here is to get a franchise QB that can throw consistently from the pocket correct? Look at the franchise QBs in the league, then look at how intelligent they are, the trend is freaking clear as day. You can't have a dummy as a franchise QB, it doesn't work.

Cam threw from the pocket all day, save the TD before halftime where he scrambled right and threw a dart for a 50 yard TD in the SEC title game. Depending on the system, will depend on how ready he will be.

And if we go for a WCO, which in all likelyhood we may (since we have all the perfect ingredients for it), a pocket only qb is not what the system calls for. We would need someone who can scramble and make plays as well. You dont have to be a genius to play.

And Ben Roethlisburger isnt a franchise qb? Peyton? Brees? They are typical pocket qb's (as is the case with what I brought up with HOFers in Kelly, Marino, and Bradshaw). They all scored below 30 on the wonderlic.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
The object here is to get a franchise QB that can throw consistently from the pocket correct? Look at the franchise QBs in the league, then look at how intelligent they are, the trend is freaking clear as day. You can't have a dummy as a franchise QB, it doesn't work.

Cam threw from the pocket all day, save the TD before halftime where he scrambled right and threw a dart for a 50 yard TD in the SEC title game. Depending on the system, will depend on how ready he will be.

And if we go for a WCO, which in all likelyhood we may (since we have all the perfect ingredients for it), a pocket only qb is not what the system calls for. We would need someone who can scramble and make plays as well. You dont have to be a genius to play.

And Ben Roethlisburger isnt a franchise qb? Peyton? Brees? They are typical pocket qb's (as is the case with what I brought up with HOFers in Kelly, Marino, and Bradshaw). They all scored below 30 on the wonderlic.

Do you know anything about Auburn's Offense? It's one read and run.

28 or 30, whatever, the avg. for QBs is like 24, all the good QBs are above average, are you seriously going to act like you don't see the trend here?

28 or 30, whatever, the avg. for QBs is like 24, all the good QBs are above average, are you seriously going to act like you don't see the trend here?

Did you read what I said? Yes I have watched every Auburn game this year. And very familiar with AU's offense under Gus Malzone. However, in the SEC title game, they came out passing, which they havent done all year to take the lead, and definetly caught the Gamecocks off guard. Again please read.

I can see what you are trying to say, but you are so blind in what you are trying to say, that you are missing the point of the original argument.

Again what Im saying is, you dont HAVE to be smart according to the wonderlic test. As evidenced by the list shown. I don't think you are getting the point here.
[ Edited by ninerlifer on Dec 13, 2010 at 6:51 PM ]

Again what Im saying is, you dont HAVE to be smart according to the wonderlic test. As evidenced by the list shown. I don't think you are getting the point here.

In modern football, you do. To be a franchise QB, you have to have a high wonderlic. The only exception is Vick, and Vick has the best offensive braintrust in the league (the same staff that made another low Wonderlic QB look good, McFlabb).
[ Edited by binary2nd on Dec 13, 2010 at 7:14 PM ]
there is no direct correlation between high wonderlic and nfl success.

its only used when looking at the total package.

the guy could study for it like past auburn guys have , I went from 32 to 46 by the, adas
err by the third time I took the wonderlic.
Originally posted by Dshearn:

the guy could study for it like past auburn guys have , I went from 32 to 46 by the, adas
what???

no, but i argue that being a smart guy is very helpful for your success.
Originally posted by communist:

what???

no, but i argue that being a smart guy is very helpful for your success.

swype crapped out on me......

being a smart guy sure does help but the wonderlic is not going to tell you if cam is smart.

it will tell you how well his brain shifts from left to right from physical perception to abstract predictions.

anyone who has ever taken one will tell you how easy it is when looked at one question at a time.

jason cambell ,brown and cadillac all struggled the first time they took the test and all studied before the tested for the nfl....were they did fine.

anyone who has ever taken one will tell you how easy it is when looked at one question at a time.

jason cambell ,brown and cadillac all struggled the first time they took the test and all studied before the tested for the nfl....were they did fine.
1.when looked at one question at a time??? why do u mention that? do the people usually look at several questions at the same time?
2.studying alone is not a criterion at all...it is indeed very relevant which study we are talking about. i see a big difference between sociology and e.g. engineering or (math-focused) economics.
Originally posted by communist:
anyone who has ever taken one will tell you how easy it is when looked at one question at a time. jason cambell ,brown and cadillac all struggled the first time they took the test and all studied before the tested for the nfl....were they did fine.
1.when looked at one question at a time??? why do u mention that? do the people usually look at several questions at the same time? 2.studying alone is not a criterion at all...it is indeed very relevant which study we are talking about. i see a big difference between sociology and e.g. engineering or (math-focused) economics.

the test questions use diffrent parts of the brain ie some force you tou recall information......some forced you predict a forthcoming variable....some use visual patterns , others use mental.

its a timed test that you have to switch from left brain to right brain over and over

what happens after a few tests you stop thinking anf start remembering

theres also no direct correlation between a high wonderlic and being able to finish sentences and properly post on an internet forum
Originally posted by skeetskeet:

theres also no direct correlation between a high wonderlic and being able to finish sentences and properly post on an internet forum

It don't matter man! He's accurate!!!!

""He has excellent accuracy," Brandt said. "I'm amazed at his accuracy whether it be 10 yards down field or 20 yards down field or more. He's got arm strength."--Gil Brandt, Deseret News

• DVDA
  • Veteran

Did you read what I said? Yes I have watched every Auburn game this year. And very familiar with AU's offense under Gus Malzone. However, in the SEC title game, they came out passing, which they havent done all year to take the lead, and definetly caught the Gamecocks off guard. Again please read.

I can see what you are trying to say, but you are so blind in what you are trying to say, that you are missing the point of the original argument.

When Newton passes against someone who is expecting Newton to throw the ball and the only option is pass, then tell me how good he is as a passer. Until then, he has proven absolutely nothing besides his unbelievable athleticism.
Originally posted by 23zack80:

When Newton passes against someone who is expecting Newton to throw the ball and the only option is pass, then tell me how good he is as a passer. Until then, he has proven absolutely nothing besides his unbelievable athleticism.

So you discount what he did against the Cocks?
Originally posted by skeetskeet:

Share 49ersWebzone