LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

What do y'all think of Cam Newton?

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by binary2nd:
lol@ the notion of Vince Young being a very good QB, someone needs to watch more film.

Diet Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year (2006)

AP NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year (2006)

2x Pro Bowl selection (2006, 2009)

26 wins in 39 starts

2010: 10 Tds 3 Ints 98 Rating

Weak mentally? yes Good QB? Yes Is he his own worst enemy? Yes
Originally posted by Jcool:
lol@ the notion of Vince Young being a very good QB, someone needs to watch more film.

26 wins in 39 starts

Part of being a good QB though is being dependable when things get tough. Has he shown ability to be an effective QB? Absolutley. Is he someone that you can trust year in and year out? I dont think so. That, in my mind, leaves him short of being a "very good quarterback". Maybe thats a crazy way to look at it but I want my QB to be a rock emotionally.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

26 wins in 39 starts

Part of being a good QB though is being dependable when things get tough. Has he shown ability to be an effective QB? Absolutley. Is he someone that you can trust year in and year out? I dont think so. That, in my mind, leaves him short of being a "very good quarterback". Maybe thats a crazy way to look at it but I want my QB to be a rock emotionally.

He just needs a strong offensive minded head coach that will work with him.

26 wins in 39 starts

He's also feasted off the threat of Chris Johnson, and has been an ineffective pocket passer. If Cam Newton is the next Vince Young, you better pass on him.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

You want to know why that it has been made public about Cam cheating? Because, someone at the University of Florida leaked that information which is a fereral crime. Thaat is why Cam is the only one that you have heard about. And that is why you guys are attaking him. Dont be naive to think he is the only one that has done this.
he has done some bulls**t SEVERAL times...if i see a guy, who does bulls**t again and again, then i think that he doesnt learn anything from that. dont u get it? do u wanna have an ignorant QB?

i want a QB who can win football games. i don't care how dumb he is.
but i do, at this position...QBs have to learn the systems and how to read nfl-defenses...i dont think that this is easy for a stupid person. anyone could hold a phd in mathematics...it only depends on the time...

been there done that

cough, cough....Alex Smith....cough, cough

Exhibit A why that philosophy isnt true

How does Alex Smith prove him wrong? Alex understands everything but isn't instinctual and too hesitant. Just about all the good QBs in the league nowadays have a wonderlic of 30 or above; the NFL is just too complex nowadays. The only exception being Vick, and Vick has the best QB people in the league around him that know how to gameplan and playcall better than anyone else in the league.

He asked if we want an ignorant QB....because he is implying like you, that you have to have a smart QB. WELL, we have one of the smartest QBs in the NFL (by one of the highest wonderlic scores ever posted), and where has that got us? Nowhere. That right there proves that just because you have a smart QB, doesnt guarentee success.

Your argument makes no sense. You HAVE to have a smart QB that has good instincts as well. Alex is a smart QB with no instincts. No one is saying that "just because you have a smart QB doesn't guarantee success." This is basic reading comprehension. Being intelligent is simply a prerequisite to being a good, modern QB. Either that, or you have a tremendous coaching staff (like Philly). Look at the top QBs in the league right now, all of them except for Vick has a wonderlic above 30.

You brought up instincts....not the original convo you jumped into. I brought up VY and Bradshaw. in another convo.

My reading comprehension is just fine thank you very much, go take that somewhere else. My argument made sense based on the conversation that was happening before you thought you can throw in an attribute that we were not talking about. Instincts do not come with intellect. As is the case with Alex. K thanks bye!

Do you know what a prerequisite is?

Im not talking about other attributes here or pre-requisites....I am talking about one thing intelligence. Yes it takes more than that to be succesfull, however the topic is about intelligence....you ask about reading comprehension?

Marino, McNabb, and Bradshaw all had the same wonderlic scores as Vince Young, and you know these guys had pretty decent careers. My point again binary, you dont have to be smart to be a successful qb.

Sit this one out dude. If you want to start a topic about prerequisites about how to be a successful qb go ahead. But Im done with you.

Thanks for posting QBs who are know longer successful or in the league anymore. Try looking at the top QBs in the league RIGHT NOW. They all have wonderlics of 28+, all except for Vick.

Oh now youre gonna change scores? Which is it 30 or 28?

1. Ryan Fitzpatrick 48

2. Alex Smith 40

3. Eli Manning 39

4. Matt Stafford 38

5. Tony Romo 37

6. Aaron Rodgers 35

6. Matt Leinart 35

8. Tom Brady 33

9. Matt Ryan 32

10. Matt Schaub 31

11. Philip Rivers 30

12. Matt Hasselbeck 29

12. Marc Bulger 29

12. Brady Quinn 29

15. Mark Sanchez 28

15. Peyton Manning 28

15. Drew Brees 28

18. Josh Freeman 27

18. Joe Flacco 27

20. Carson Palmer 26

20. Jay Cutler 26

20. Kyle Orton 26

23. Ben Roethlisberger 25

24. Jason Campbell 23

25. Brett Favre 22

25. Tim Tebow 22

25. Chad Henne 22

28. Bruce Gradkowski 19

29. Vince Young 15

30. Donovan McNabb 14

30. David Garrard 14

Here ya go bud. For you're veiwing pleasure...just to prove that you dont have to have a wonderlic score of 30 or more to be a successfull qb.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/wonderlic-scores-of-2010-nfl-starting-quarterbacks-and-339905.html

26 wins in 39 starts

He's also feasted off the threat of Chris Johnson, and has been an ineffective pocket passer. If Cam Newton is the next Vince Young, you better pass on him.

Cam has proven this year alone, with all the crap he has gone through, that Yes He Cam prove that nothing phases him, and still performs tremendously on the field. That is what the difference is in VY and Cam.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

You want to know why that it has been made public about Cam cheating? Because, someone at the University of Florida leaked that information which is a fereral crime. Thaat is why Cam is the only one that you have heard about. And that is why you guys are attaking him. Dont be naive to think he is the only one that has done this.
he has done some bulls**t SEVERAL times...if i see a guy, who does bulls**t again and again, then i think that he doesnt learn anything from that. dont u get it? do u wanna have an ignorant QB?

i want a QB who can win football games. i don't care how dumb he is.
but i do, at this position...QBs have to learn the systems and how to read nfl-defenses...i dont think that this is easy for a stupid person. anyone could hold a phd in mathematics...it only depends on the time...

been there done that

cough, cough....Alex Smith....cough, cough

Exhibit A why that philosophy isnt true

How does Alex Smith prove him wrong? Alex understands everything but isn't instinctual and too hesitant. Just about all the good QBs in the league nowadays have a wonderlic of 30 or above; the NFL is just too complex nowadays. The only exception being Vick, and Vick has the best QB people in the league around him that know how to gameplan and playcall better than anyone else in the league.

He asked if we want an ignorant QB....because he is implying like you, that you have to have a smart QB. WELL, we have one of the smartest QBs in the NFL (by one of the highest wonderlic scores ever posted), and where has that got us? Nowhere. That right there proves that just because you have a smart QB, doesnt guarentee success.

Your argument makes no sense. You HAVE to have a smart QB that has good instincts as well. Alex is a smart QB with no instincts. No one is saying that "just because you have a smart QB doesn't guarantee success." This is basic reading comprehension. Being intelligent is simply a prerequisite to being a good, modern QB. Either that, or you have a tremendous coaching staff (like Philly). Look at the top QBs in the league right now, all of them except for Vick has a wonderlic above 30.

You brought up instincts....not the original convo you jumped into. I brought up VY and Bradshaw. in another convo.

My reading comprehension is just fine thank you very much, go take that somewhere else. My argument made sense based on the conversation that was happening before you thought you can throw in an attribute that we were not talking about. Instincts do not come with intellect. As is the case with Alex. K thanks bye!

Do you know what a prerequisite is?

Im not talking about other attributes here or pre-requisites....I am talking about one thing intelligence. Yes it takes more than that to be succesfull, however the topic is about intelligence....you ask about reading comprehension?

Marino, McNabb, and Bradshaw all had the same wonderlic scores as Vince Young, and you know these guys had pretty decent careers. My point again binary, you dont have to be smart to be a successful qb.

Sit this one out dude. If you want to start a topic about prerequisites about how to be a successful qb go ahead. But Im done with you.

Thanks for posting QBs who are know longer successful or in the league anymore. Try looking at the top QBs in the league RIGHT NOW. They all have wonderlics of 28+, all except for Vick.

Oh now youre gonna change scores? Which is it 30 or 28?

1. Ryan Fitzpatrick 48

2. Alex Smith 40

3. Eli Manning 39

4. Matt Stafford 38

5. Tony Romo 37

6. Aaron Rodgers 35

6. Matt Leinart 35

8. Tom Brady 33

9. Matt Ryan 32

10. Matt Schaub 31

11. Philip Rivers 30

12. Matt Hasselbeck 29

12. Marc Bulger 29

12. Brady Quinn 29

15. Mark Sanchez 28

15. Peyton Manning 28

15. Drew Brees 28

18. Josh Freeman 27

18. Joe Flacco 27

20. Carson Palmer 26

20. Jay Cutler 26

20. Kyle Orton 26

23. Ben Roethlisberger 25

24. Jason Campbell 23

25. Brett Favre 22

25. Tim Tebow 22

25. Chad Henne 22

28. Bruce Gradkowski 19

29. Vince Young 15

30. Donovan McNabb 14

30. David Garrard 14

Here ya go bud. For you're veiwing pleasure...just to prove that you dont have to have a wonderlic score of 30 or more to be a successfull qb.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/wonderlic-scores-of-2010-nfl-starting-quarterbacks-and-339905.html

So yeah, I'm right and you just proved it, thanks. How could anyone not see the trend there?
[ Edited by binary2nd on Dec 13, 2010 at 2:15 PM ]

1. Ryan Fitzpatrick 48 starter right now, but i admit that i dont see him as a franchise qb

2. Alex Smith 40 no comment

3. Eli Manning 39 starter, good qb

4. Matt Stafford 38 the lions would have a good season with him under center

5. Tony Romo 37 no discussion

6. Aaron Rodgers 35 no discussion

6. Matt Leinart 35 fail

8. Tom Brady 33 no discussion

9. Matt Ryan 32 no discussion

10. Matt Schaub 31 no discussion, imo...

11. Philip Rivers 30 no discussion

12. Matt Hasselbeck 29 was a good one in earlier days

12. Marc Bulger 29 fail

12. Brady Quinn 29 fail

15. Mark Sanchez 28 ovr good but sometimes questionable

15. Peyton Manning 28 no discussion

15. Drew Brees 28 no discussion

18. Josh Freeman 27 no discussion

18. Joe Flacco 27 solid-good

20. Carson Palmer 26 i will leave him out

20. Jay Cutler 26 sometimes with stupid decisions but i like him ovr

20. Kyle Orton 26 nothing special

23. Ben Roethlisberger 25 i like athletic qbs even if he doesnt look like one

24. Jason Campbell 23 up and down career

25. Brett Favre 22 ovr HOF but a lot of stupid interceptions imo

25. Tim Tebow 22 irrelevant yet

25. Chad Henne 22 not good

28. Bruce Gradkowski 19 solid, not more

29. Vince Young 15 fail

30. Donovan McNabb 14 ovr one of the best in the last century

30. David Garrard 14 very inconsistent

i do see a relationship between one's wonderlic result and his outcome in the nfl.

1. Ryan Fitzpatrick 48 starter right now, but i admit that i dont see him as a franchise qb I see Gannon type of production in Buffalo

2. Alex Smith 40 no comment agree

3. Eli Manning 39 starter, good qb agree

4. Matt Stafford 38 the lions would have a good season with him under center agree

5. Tony Romo 37 no discussion agree

6. Aaron Rodgers 35 no discussion agree

6. Matt Leinart 35 fail agree

8. Tom Brady 33 no discussion agree

9. Matt Ryan 32 no discussion agree

10. Matt Schaub 31 no discussion, imo... agree

11. Philip Rivers 30 no discussion agree

12. Matt Hasselbeck 29 was a good one in earlier days agree

12. Marc Bulger 29 fail agree

12. Brady Quinn 29 fail agree

15. Mark Sanchez 28 ovr good but sometimes questionable agree

15. Peyton Manning 28 no discussion agree

15. Drew Brees 28 no discussion agree

18. Josh Freeman 27 no discussion improving

18. Joe Flacco 27 solid-good gonna get better

20. Carson Palmer 26 i will leave him out better days are behind him after knee injury

20. Jay Cutler 26 sometimes with stupid decisions but i like him ovr agree

20. Kyle Orton 26 nothing special agreed, good system fit though

23. Ben Roethlisberger 25 i like athletic qbs even if he doesnt look like one agree, and a winner

24. Jason Campbell 23 up and down career agree

25. Brett Favre 22 ovr HOF but a lot of stupid interceptions imo agree

25. Tim Tebow 22 irrelevant yet agree

25. Chad Henne 22 not good needs more time

28. Bruce Gradkowski 19 solid, not more agree

29. Vince Young 15 fail disagree, he wins games

30. Donovan McNabb 14 ovr one of the best in the last century agree

30. David Garrard 14 very inconsistent Has lead a not so good Jags team to playoffs 2 out of 3 years (hurt last year)

i do see a relationship between one's wonderlic result and his outcome in the nfl.

Binary....next time dont skip reading comprehension classes. The argument was for 30 or better. There are a few....others like Peyton, Brees, and Big Ben, fall under 30. This is on a 50 point scale, so every point is a crucial point.
And look at some great players and HOFers.

Marino-15
Bradshaw-15
Jim Kelly- 15
Cunningham-15

again you dont have to be a genius to win

Marino-15
Bradshaw-15
Jim Kelly- 15
Cunningham-15

That was a different era dude.

Marino-15
Bradshaw-15
Jim Kelly- 15
Cunningham-15

Marino, Kelly, and Cunningham were modern era qb's

Marino-15
Bradshaw-15
Jim Kelly- 15
Cunningham-15

i think that we have to look at recent performers b/c 10 years in professional sports is sth like 50 years in technology...

Marino-15
Bradshaw-15
Jim Kelly- 15
Cunningham-15

i think that we have to look at recent performers b/c 10 years in professional sports is sth like 50 years in technology...

true....but either way they weren't as some would say "smart". And they had success. That was the whole premisses of the original debate here. You don't have to be smart to win.
The object here is to get a franchise QB that can throw consistently from the pocket correct? Look at the franchise QBs in the league, then look at how intelligent they are, the trend is freaking clear as day. You can't have a dummy as a franchise QB, it doesn't work.
Share 49ersWebzone