LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 330 users in the forums

Patrick Peterson LSU

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Quote:
LSU consensus All-American cornerback Patrick Peterson is ambitious, wanting to convince the Carolina Panthers to choose him with the first overall pick of the draft.

Peterson told National Football Post that he'll meet with the Panthers tonight. He also has meetings with the Houston Texans, Miami Dolphins, Denver Broncos, Washington Redskins, New Orleans Saints and the San Francisco 49ers.

The Jim Thorpe and Chuck Bednarik Award winner conducted a workout for NFL teams today at the Senior Bowl. The star junior is projected to go within the top five selections of the draft in April after declaring early for the draft.

"I believe I can bring a lot to the table," Peterson said during an interview at the Renaissance Riverview Hotel in downtown Mobile. "I can bring shutting down the offense's No. 1 receiver. I can take away one side of the football field. I have a tremendous amount of focus and confidence in myself to be the best on the field.

"My goal is to be No. 1, that's the ultimate goal. I have to work extremely hard each and every day. It's an open game right now We'll have to see what the NFL draft has to bring."

Peterson was a three-year starter at LSU and intercepted seven passes, recording 135 tackles, 22 pass deflections and returned two punts for touchdowns as well as a blocked field goal.

Last season, he intercepted four passes and broke up six passes with one blocked field goal and 42 tackles.

He ranked first in the Southeastern Conference with a 16.1 punt return avrerage and ninth in the nation with a 29.1 kickoff return average.

Peterson is aiming to run in the 4.2 range at the NFL scouting combine. He worked out for teams today, performing defensive back drills as well as the short shuttle and three-cone drill.

Listed at 6-foot-1, 221 pounds last season, Peterson said he weighed in at 211 poounds today and hopes to get down to 206 pounds by the combine.

"I had a nice workout this morning," Peterson said. "I'm looking for that 4.2 at the combine. I ran a 4.31 before. I'm liking being here. This is a chance to talk with the different GMs and owners. It's a fun process.

"I love it. It's all hard work and preparing for that moment with my coaching staff and my dad all those guys getting me prepared for the huge moment."

Unlike many cover cornerbacks, Peterson isn't shy about hitting.

"My coaches always said they wouldn't have corners who don't come up and tackle," Peterson said. "A lot of guys will bounce it to the outside to corners who won't tackle and look for easy touchdowns. Coach Cooper got me in the mindset of being physical and being a sure tackler."

No way he drops down to us, especially if he runs in the low 4.3 or maybe even 4.2.

Once the combine is over he will be back up to 218+, his playing weight is not 206

From some sites, people have said that the reason why Peterson could drop was because of his weight and his natural position possibly being at safety (a la Malcolm Jenkins). I think this is total BS and I feel like he'd be a very good corner even at 215 or so. But regardless, even if he was at 206, he'd still be a great corner IMO.
If he gets past Denver, we really have a good chance at him especially if Gabbert, Locker and Newton perform very well. I could see Buffalo, Cincy AND AZ all wanting a QB. Not sayin' they will.

Just sayin'

Man, this place will go Ape s**t if Peterson fell to us like Crabtree did. Sometimes all it takes is a lil' luck.
I didn't get a chance to see any LSU games this year, so can someone answer this for me:

Is Peterson just an insane physical specimen, or does he actually have the chops to play CB as well?

His measurables just feel a little like the Taylor Mays hype after his junior year, when people claimed he'd be a top 3 overall pick. Now I like Mays and think he'll develop well despite his difficulties this season but I am very glad we didn't draft him any higher than we did.
Originally posted by Digger:
I didn't get a chance to see any LSU games this year, so can someone answer this for me:

Is Peterson just an insane physical specimen, or does he actually have the chops to play CB as well?

His measurables just feel a little like the Taylor Mays hype after his junior year, when people claimed he'd be a top 3 overall pick. Now I like Mays and think he'll develop well despite his difficulties this season but I am very glad we didn't draft him any higher than we did.

Peterson is a legit lock-down CB type of player, with not only great size, speed and ball skills, but he has the ability to turn picks into TDs pretty easily (one of the top special teams returners in college football last year). He's bigger than your average corner (about 6'1" 220), but so is Nnamdi (6'2", 215) and that hasn't hurt him one bit.
Originally posted by ninertico:
If he gets past Denver, we really have a good chance at him especially if Gabbert, Locker and Newton perform very well. I could see Buffalo, Cincy AND AZ all wanting a QB. Not sayin' they will.

Just sayin'

Man, this place will go Ape s**t if Peterson fell to us like Crabtree did. Sometimes all it takes is a lil' luck.

I don't think Denver goes with a CB at 2....just don't see it. I still give him a good shot at falling to us.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Digger:

Peterson is a legit lock-down CB type of player, with not only great size, speed and ball skills, but he has the ability to turn picks into TDs pretty easily (one of the top special teams returners in college football last year). He's bigger than your average corner (about 6'1" 220), but so is Nnamdi (6'2", 215) and that hasn't hurt him one bit.

If Nnamdi is his comparable then I have no problem with that whatsoever! I think whoever falls between Peterson, Prince, and the 2 DEs will be a fine pick for us.
FootballPost NationalFootballPost
LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson to meet with Panthers tonight http://bit.ly/gTEAOH #NFL

if he goes first i will s**t
A corner at 1 huh... that's rare.
LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson to meet with Panthers tonight http://bit.ly/gTEAOH #NFL

I have a 24 pack so I will share.

BTW, he's expected to meet with us too. We can hope, right? Bowers and Fairley I hope go in the first two picks. I know Green will be in the top six for sure. Dareus and Quinn both could go top six, too, if they both do really well at the combine. That's five players right there. Add one or two QBs, and we sure have a shot, huh?

Then I woke up. I hate when that happens.
Originally posted by ninertico:

I have a 24 pack so I will share.

BTW, he's expected to meet with us too. We can hope, right? Bowers and Fairley I hope go in the first two picks. I know Green will be in the top six for sure. Dareus and Quinn both could go top six, too, if they both do really well at the combine. That's five players right there. Add one or two QBs, and we sure have a shot, huh?

Then I woke up. I hate when that happens.

we have a shot

Dont mean to be a downer but I just dont think the 6 teams in front of us is going to pass on a chance on getting Peterson, in a weak draft class for CB's hes going before #7.
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Dont mean to be a downer but I just dont think the 6 teams in front of us is going to pass on a chance on getting Peterson, in a weak draft class for CB's hes going before #7.

3 dominant DL, 1 QB, 1 WR....that mix gives us a good shot

Yep it does and all teams before us in the draft need all of those. But letting Patrick Peterson fall through your fingers, thats like Heyward-Bey and Crabtree. (Glad that worked out for us)

Yep it does and all teams before us in the draft need all of those. But letting Patrick Peterson fall through your fingers, thats like Heyward-Bey and Crabtree. (Glad that worked out for us)

the cost of Peterson at 2 would be close to 65mill contract...a lot for a CB, that's Revis money...better spent on a DL,QB or WR.

the cost of Peterson at 2 would be close to 65mill contract...a lot for a CB, that's Revis money...better spent on a DL,QB or WR.

You think Yorks gonna pay Revis money to a rookie, couldnt we pay Revis money on Nnamdi?
Share 49ersWebzone