LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

FY11 Draft Biggest Need

FY11 Draft Biggest Need

Originally posted by Gore_21:
QB, OLB (pass rush), CB, FS, RG

Then FB, DE, NT Depth, ILB Depth
absolutely this.

and for all the guys, who see a bigger need at CB than at the pass-rush: u are blind. the pass defense begins at the line and not in the secondary. spencer and clements cant do magical things at every passing play if the opp QB has the whole time of the world to throw the perfect pass. if we get a shot on peterson, ok...but the next big need after the qb-position is the pass rush. we have solid guys at CB but no natural pass-rusher...
Originally posted by communist:

absolutely this.

and for all the guys, who see a bigger need at CB than at the pass-rush: u are blind. the pass defense begins at the line and not in the secondary. spencer and clements cant do magical things at every passing play if the opp QB has the whole time of the world to throw the perfect pass. if we get a shot on peterson, ok...but the next big need after the qb-position is the pass rush. we have solid guys at CB but no natural pass-rusher...

I think Clements and Spencer have been playing pretty well. They have given up a few critical plays and Nate had the horrible fumble but otherwise they have done decent. Brown has struggled and James is probably average so I'd like to see what Adams can do. I know it was pre season but he looked fluid and quick. I'd like to see him in the 3rd spot for next year and draft someone for #4. Before the season started I thought CB was the biggest need but that was assuming Goldson, Lawson, Smith, etc worked out. Lawson has been playing decent but we have been dropping him into coverage so no chance to prove he is that pass rusher we need. Brooks (2 sacks) and Laboy (3 sacks) are good and Haralson (3 sacks) has gotten those 3 despite not generating a rush most of the time but I'd like to find an every down linebacker who can get 10 sacks and not have a committee. It would be nice to see someone who can get pressure every time they are sent on the rush... not just once in a while. Plus someone who can use a different move than just running past the tackle which you can be easily shoved past the QB if you aren't fast enough. I'd like to see those guys try a spin or a fake and go inside for once.

I might even put CB behind RG and FS if Adams gets a chance (not likely) and shows he can be a #3. And my positions of need are assuming RJF can handle NT which we don't really know. He has been getting time at NT and DE but I think they might want him at DE more than NT.

So we will probably need:
-QB
-Every Down OLB who can pass rush
-upgrade at RG
-upgrade at FS (not paying Goldson big bucks and Reggie Smith is probably decent at best)
-CB
-FB (Caulcrick? draft pick?)

DEPTH:
NT Depth - Not paying Franklin big money, he hasn't played nearly as well as last year. RJF can start and do what Franklin has done for 1/5 the cost.

DE if we can't get an upgrade (bigger needs) then i'm fine with Soap/McDonald

ILB Depth - Too many other things to worry about. We have 10 picks and right now I think we need them all.

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 23, 2010 at 01:44:46 ]

absolutely this.

The number one defense in the league last year disagrees. The Jets prioritize corners more than pass rushers. That's not saying it's wrong to prioritize the d line first but don't think there's only way to build a franchise.

If you have corners who can guard their man without help it allows for a wider range of blitzes.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 23, 2010 at 11:22:52 ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:

absolutely this.

The number one defense in the league last year disagrees. The Jets prioritize corners more than pass rushers. That's not saying it's wrong to prioritize the d line first but don't think there's only way to build a franchise.

If you have corners who can guard their man without help it allows for a wider range of blitzes.
are u talking about the same defense which is ranked at 22nd against the pass? the jets' defense had their problems at pass-rush last year and everone knew that they lack a solid CB next to revis. and like i know, the jets are still lacking at pass-rush. so they cant stop the shoot against their secondary, where even revis cant help out.
in today's game u saw a lot of pro-CB-over-pass-rush but there were few situations which showed that with pressure in his face, moore couldnt throw a good pass so that our secondary guys (or one of the LBs) could break up the pass.

due to our needs, i think that we should go in the following order:
1.QB
2.pass-rusher (at OLB, perhaps at sopa-position)
3.CB
due to the recent draft board, it should go like this:
1.CB
2.QB (not stanzi so far)
3.pass-rusher (justin houston from georgia?)
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by darkknight49:
CB and QB.
Share 49ersWebzone