Jake Locker...Alex Smith 2.0?

Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by communist:

Probably the most comparable QB is Matt Ryan at Boston College, he played on pretty average teams, but his record was 25-7 and had three bowl victories. In the pros he is 25-12.

Then you have Jay Culter who was 11-35 in his starts, including going 5-27 versus the SEC. In the pros he is 28-32.
why do u compare ryan with locker?

Both highly rated QBs playing on average teams

Locker's team is much worse than what Ryan was playing with in college. It's not close.

kind of subjective

Nope. It's an absolute fact. WA is bottom of the barrel for talent level. They are overmatched every week in the PAC 10 but just have a good QB and a good coach which gives them a chance.

says you

Wow. You don't watch PAC 10 football at all.
Alex Smith won in college. Locker blows.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Alex Smith won in college. Locker blows.

Look at the team...
Originally posted by SF69ers:

I'm a Locker supporter but I disagree with some of your points here. An NFL QB doesn't have to have a strong arm. It just needs to be decent and he has to be accurate. Locker does have a strong arm with some accuracy issues that should be fixed in the pros. And yes, Locker IS a gunslinger.
a nfl qb has to have a strong arm necessarily or do u wanna end up with a carr/hill???
I didnt say anything opposite about the accuracy in general but I don"t that big accuracy probs like u...perhaps that weird wobbeling is a little bit problematic but sometimes the receivers simply don"t make the catches even if the pass is catchable but we can look at those problems in the upcoming probs.
imo a gunslinger-qb is a guy who takes the risk at any given play...perhaps i didn"t see the quarters, when he starts to do those things (10pm is 4am here in germany, so sometimes i dont see the complete game) but i didn"t see so much forced throws.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Probably the most comparable QB is Matt Ryan at Boston College, he played on pretty average teams, but his record was 25-7 and had three bowl victories. In the pros he is 25-12.

Then you have Jay Culter who was 11-35 in his starts, including going 5-27 versus the SEC. In the pros he is 28-32.
why do u compare ryan with locker?

Both highly rated QBs playing on average teams

Locker's team is much worse than what Ryan was playing with in college. It's not close.

kind of subjective

Nope. It's an absolute fact. WA is bottom of the barrel for talent level. They are overmatched every week in the PAC 10 but just have a good QB and a good coach which gives them a chance.

says you

Wow. You don't watch PAC 10 football at all.

I've seen Locker play a few times and haven't been overly impressed with him.

I'm a Locker supporter but I disagree with some of your points here. An NFL QB doesn't have to have a strong arm. It just needs to be decent and he has to be accurate. Locker does have a strong arm with some accuracy issues that should be fixed in the pros. And yes, Locker IS a gunslinger.
a nfl qb has to have a strong arm necessarily or do u wanna end up with a carr/hill???
I didnt say anything opposite about the accuracy in general but I don"t that big accuracy probs like u...perhaps that weird wobbeling is a little bit problematic but sometimes the receivers simply don"t make the catches even if the pass is catchable but we can look at those problems in the upcoming probs.
imo a gunslinger-qb is a guy who takes the risk at any given play...perhaps i didn"t see the quarters, when he starts to do those things (10pm is 4am here in germany, so sometimes i dont see the complete game) but i didn"t see so much forced throws.

Joe Montana never had a strong arm but he did very well. Same goes with Jeff Garcia.
But back to Jake being a gunslinger; he shows this type of mentality when he makes throws on the run. He isn't afraid to take a chance throwing it through a very small window.

Joe Montana never had a strong arm but he did very well. Same goes with Jeff Garcia.
But back to Jake being a gunslinger; he shows this type of mentality when he makes throws on the run. He isn't afraid to take a chance throwing it through a very small window.
I'm carr/hill damaged, in regard to a non-strong-arm. i think it would be a neverending discussion.
i thought that he is known for making the throws on the run...perhaps, i watched the wrong games but i didn"t see that much of the gunslinger. at least, it could be worse...

I'm carr/hill damaged, in regard to a non-strong-arm. i think it would be a neverending discussion.
i thought that he is known for making the throws on the run...perhaps, i watched the wrong games but i didn"t see that much of the gunslinger. at least, it could be worse...

Hill wasn't that bad. He had a noodle arm but he was damn accurate and played well under a variety of different offenses (except Raye's). Even before he got injured in Detroit, he was putting up some good numbers.

Hill wasn't that bad. He had a noodle arm but he was damn accurate and played well under a variety of different offenses (except Raye's). Even before he got injured in Detroit, he was putting up some good numbers.
he was just another "solid" qb who brings you nowhere.

he was just another "solid" qb who brings you nowhere.

Reason we lost with him as starting QB last year:
-Vanilla offense
-no o-line help

There would be no question he would be able to perform better with Mike Johnson's playcalling.

-Vanilla offense
-no o-line help

There would be no question he would be able to perform better with Mike Johnson's playcalling.
just for me as a german: vanilla offense is a offense without any fantasy and surprises, isn't it? with best, kevin smith, schefter, pettingrew and johnson in the offense, any quarterback would look good.

the lions still start backus and cherilus, who suck at least as much as our OTs...

-Vanilla offense
-no o-line help

just for me as a german: vanilla offense is a offense without any fantasy and surprises, isn't it? with best, kevin smith, schefter, pettingrew and johnson in the offense, any quarterback would look good.

the lions still start backus and cherilus, who suck at least as much as our OTs...

So wouldn't having Vernon, Gore, Crabtree, and Delanie be just as good? Scott Linehan is way better than Raye as a playcaller. And at least Mike Johnson is willing to be more creative with it.

Montana had a very strong arm. Wasnt like Marino or Elway but his arm was very strong and insanely accurate. If he didnt have a strong arm he wouldnt be able to throw his WRs open deep which he did regularly or throw a laser between defenders. Those throws take a very strong arm. Montana was the perfect and most complete QB to ever play in the NFL bar none.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

Montana had a very strong arm. Wasnt like Marino or Elway but his arm was very strong and insanely accurate. If he didnt have a strong arm he wouldnt be able to throw his WRs open deep which he did regularly or throw a laser between defenders. Those throws take a very strong arm. Montana was the perfect and most complete QB to ever play in the NFL bar none.

He wasn't perfect and complete. He was clutch and had a real great team around him backing him up. It was pre salary cap era. There was no parity. Eddie D. consistently out spent all other teams. The 49ers had all the best players. Montana lined up on the very best team in football every single year. He benefited greatly from that also. Don't kid yourself.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

He wasn't perfect and complete. He was clutch and had a real great team around him backing him up. It was pre salary cap era. There was no parity. Eddie D. consistently out spent all other teams. The 49ers had all the best players. Montana lined up on the very best team in football every single year. He benefited greatly from that also. Don't kid yourself.

His 1st superbowl was won on an avg team, no better than what any other playoff team had
Share 49ersWebzone