LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Jake Locker...Alex Smith 2.0?

Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Has there ever been a prospect like him? What i mean is that everyone says he could be the top pick in the draft, yet his team doesn't win (say what you will about talent around him, but the QB is the most important player to determine wins/losses) and he makes a lot of mistakes. I've seen first round picks with this kind of background but never a consensus #1 overall pick.

The thing that scouts had been looking at are his skills as a QB. Strong arm, mobile in the pocket, ability to run and break tackles, two seasons under a pro-style offense. But of course, he still has a lot to learn. The importance of having a better surrounding cast is taken pretty lightly. If the kid shows he's got the stuff, then a team will take a chance on him. Washington's o-line doesn't do a great job pass blocking (more of a run blocking line) and his receivers tend to drop passes. That's huge when you're thinking about Locker's stats too.

But if he struggles with an average team in college what will he do on a bad pro team

Unfortunately, if he gets drafted by a bad pro team, he'll probably suck as well. Just like any other pro QB. McNabb hasn't looked good with the Redskins. However, if Locker gets drafted by a team with an offensive minder HC or at least a legit OC, and he has weapons around him as well as a decent O-Line, he'll do just fine.

I think whichever of the top QB's gets drafted by the 49ers won't be in a bad situation really.

I mean, we will have a new coach, preferably an experienced one, he will have nice weapons in Gore, Vernon and Crabtree, o-line will be ok with more experienced (especially Iupati and Davis). Will have a pretty good defense to back him up too.

I agree. It all really depends on who our coach is. If it's Jon Gruden or Jim Harbaugh, they would do wonders with Locker.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Has there ever been a prospect like him? What i mean is that everyone says he could be the top pick in the draft, yet his team doesn't win (say what you will about talent around him, but the QB is the most important player to determine wins/losses) and he makes a lot of mistakes. I've seen first round picks with this kind of background but never a consensus #1 overall pick.

The thing that scouts had been looking at are his skills as a QB. Strong arm, mobile in the pocket, ability to run and break tackles, two seasons under a pro-style offense. But of course, he still has a lot to learn. The importance of having a better surrounding cast is taken pretty lightly. If the kid shows he's got the stuff, then a team will take a chance on him. Washington's o-line doesn't do a great job pass blocking (more of a run blocking line) and his receivers tend to drop passes. That's huge when you're thinking about Locker's stats too.

But if he struggles with an average team in college what will he do on a bad pro team

Unfortunately, if he gets drafted by a bad pro team, he'll probably suck as well. Just like any other pro QB. McNabb hasn't looked good with the Redskins. However, if Locker gets drafted by a team with an offensive minder HC or at least a legit OC, and he has weapons around him as well as a decent O-Line, he'll do just fine.

Probably the most comparable QB is Matt Ryan at Boston College, he played on pretty average teams, but his record was 25-7 and had three bowl victories. In the pros he is 25-12.

Then you have Jay Culter who was 11-35 in his starts, including going 5-27 versus the SEC. In the pros he is 28-32.

Probably the most comparable QB is Matt Ryan at Boston College, he played on pretty average teams, but his record was 25-7 and had three bowl victories. In the pros he is 25-12.

Then you have Jay Culter who was 11-35 in his starts, including going 5-27 versus the SEC. In the pros he is 28-32.

Actually, I really see Locker as a Cutler/Big Ben mix. Don't know quite yet if he'll be as good, but Locker has an arm like Cutler's and that gunslinger mentality, and he's mobile and elusive like Ben.

why do u compare ryan with locker?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:

Both highly rated QBs playing on average teams

Locker's team is much worse than what Ryan was playing with in college. It's not close.
forget that then.

If Smith is ''more accurate'' ...........NEXT
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Locker's team is much worse than what Ryan was playing with in college. It's not close.

kind of subjective
i think locker is a good prospect but id prefer luck if he declares. either one of them will actually be in a good situation with us. when sing gets fired and a new coach comes in here, probably an experienced coach or young hotshot with actual experience in the NFL and good with QBs. we are stacked from top to bottom on offense. our line should be done with their growing pains, we have a good set of weapons in Gore, VD, Crabs, Morgan, Ginn and the others. he can sit behind a veteran QB for a year or two to learn or if he looks ready like bradford and some of the others that have come in right away and made an impact he can start ripping it up right away. the last time we took a QB in the 1st the team was a mess and the coaching made horrible decisions and basically destroyed a 1st overall pick. this time around we have talent and the right coach could make this team into a contender in his first year. locker has a cannon but im a little worried about his accuracy. Luck looks kind of like a Matt Ryan type QB to me and that would be perfect for our offense.

kind of subjective

Nope. It's an absolute fact. WA is bottom of the barrel for talent level. They are overmatched every week in the PAC 10 but just have a good QB and a good coach which gives them a chance.

I think Jake Locker is more of a gunslinger and will take chances with his strong arm. Alex Smith is more of a game manager and doesn't want to make any mistakes. I really can't blame Locker's performance against Nebraska. Nebraska is one of the best defenses in the nation.

Okay. But explain why Nate Enderle (Idaho's QB) completed more than 4 passes, at Memorial Stadium, with less talent? Sure, Nebraska's secondary is arguably THE BEST in the nation. But there is NO excuse for Locker's horrid play AT HOME in that one.

2 big things you always look for in a college QB: accuracy (comp. %) and how he plays versus tough opponents. If the 9ers draft Locker, there's no way he sits for as long as he'll need to to learn the Pro game. I'll pass, thanks.
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:

2 big things you always look for in a college QB: accuracy (comp. %) and how he plays versus tough opponents. If the 9ers draft Locker, there's no way he sits for as long as he'll need to to learn the Pro game. I'll pass, thanks.
1.yes, accuracy is very important but we should talk about the difficult passes b/c even me can check-down the whole game long.
2.a nfl qb has to have a strong arm
3.a nfl qb has to make good decisions (locker is NOT a gunslinger and that's good)
4.the nebraska game was embarrassing but i would still pick locker over mallett. it's not that bad if a prospect had his bad experience at college.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

kind of subjective

Nope. It's an absolute fact. WA is bottom of the barrel for talent level. They are overmatched every week in the PAC 10 but just have a good QB and a good coach which gives them a chance.

says you
I think Jake Locker is more of a gunslinger and will take chances with his strong arm. Alex Smith is more of a game manager and doesn't want to make any mistakes. I really can't blame Locker's performance against Nebraska. Nebraska is one of the best defenses in the nation.

Okay. But explain why Nate Enderle (Idaho's QB) completed more than 4 passes, at Memorial Stadium, with less talent? Sure, Nebraska's secondary is arguably THE BEST in the nation. But there is NO excuse for Locker's horrid play AT HOME in that one.

Nate Enderle's performance against Nebraska was just as horrid. Who cares about how many completions, 5 interceptions is HORRIBLE.

1.yes, accuracy is very important but we should talk about the difficult passes b/c even me can check-down the whole game long.
2.a nfl qb has to have a strong arm
3.a nfl qb has to make good decisions (locker is NOT a gunslinger and that's good)
4.the nebraska game was embarrassing but i would still pick locker over mallett. it's not that bad if a prospect had his bad experience at college.

I'm a Locker supporter but I disagree with some of your points here. An NFL QB doesn't have to have a strong arm. It just needs to be decent and he has to be accurate. Locker does have a strong arm with some accuracy issues that should be fixed in the pros. And yes, Locker IS a gunslinger.
Share 49ersWebzone