LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 133 users in the forums

Your vote for Top QB in 2011 (for the 49ers)

• titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I'd grade the five big-named draft eligible QB's this way:
1) Luck
2) Pryor
3) Mallett
4) Locker
5) Newton

In my opinion, Luck is far and away the best QB in this draft. He will make an impact right away. He has all the tools, and is so smooth. He will be the first player taken in this draft, either by the team with the number one selection, or by someone who trades into that slot.

Pryor is possibly the best all-around offensive player to ever play college football. He is big, strong, and runs in the 4.3's. He is virtually unstoppable when he wants to run the ball, and his mobility is going to make a huge impact right away for a team. He is not nearly as polished at Luck, and can be erratic throwing the ball at times. Just a bigger, stronger and faster version of Mike Vick.

I like Mallett as a QB, but he has almost zero mobility. I see him as a guy who will get banged around a lot, and may have health issues due to the pounding. However, he may possibly be the best option on the board for the Niners since Luck is not going to be available when the Niners pick, unless the Bills make a dramatic tanking.

As for Locker, he has all the physical tools, but something is missing. He just isn't consistent enough and the team just doesn't post points the way that a top QB-led team should. He will probably be drafted in the top 20 picks due to his physical skills, but team will question his ability to be a winner.

Newton is just raw, raw, raw. Not a great passer, but athletic. Doesn't have the speed of a Pryor, and plays in that funky Auburn offense.

If Pryor declares and our pick is in the 10 range, would you pick him there? What do you think the chances are that he declares

I am not really a Pryor fan. It's not that he is bad QB I like passing QB's.
1) Luck
2) Pryor
3) Mallett
4) Locker
5) Newton

In my opinion, Luck is far and away the best QB in this draft. He will make an impact right away. He has all the tools, and is so smooth. He will be the first player taken in this draft, either by the team with the number one selection, or by someone who trades into that slot.

Pryor is possibly the best all-around offensive player to ever play college football. He is big, strong, and runs in the 4.3's. He is virtually unstoppable when he wants to run the ball, and his mobility is going to make a huge impact right away for a team. He is not nearly as polished at Luck, and can be erratic throwing the ball at times. Just a bigger, stronger and faster version of Mike Vick.

I like Mallett as a QB, but he has almost zero mobility. I see him as a guy who will get banged around a lot, and may have health issues due to the pounding. However, he may possibly be the best option on the board for the Niners since Luck is not going to be available when the Niners pick, unless the Bills make a dramatic tanking.

As for Locker, he has all the physical tools, but something is missing. He just isn't consistent enough and the team just doesn't post points the way that a top QB-led team should. He will probably be drafted in the top 20 picks due to his physical skills, but team will question his ability to be a winner.

Newton is just raw, raw, raw. Not a great passer, but athletic. Doesn't have the speed of a Pryor, and plays in that funky Auburn offense.

Could you find me someone else rating Pryor as high as you do, you wouldn't happen to be a Buckeyes fan would you?
Originally posted by vrabbit:
1) Luck
2) Pryor
3) Mallett
4) Locker
5) Newton

Could you find me someone else rating Pryor as high as you do, you wouldn't happen to be a Buckeyes fan would you?

Yeah forget Pryor he's not that good. Give me Mallett over him any day.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
1) Luck
2) Pryor
3) Mallett
4) Locker
5) Newton

dont get me wrong I think Pryor can be all those things maddoggiedog is talking about .....

.... but in 2012 .....
1) Luck
2) Pryor
3) Mallett
4) Locker
5) Newton

dont get me wrong I think Pryor can be all those things maddoggiedog is talking about .....

.... but in 2012 .....

Eh I'm not just a fan. I don't think he's more elusive than a guy like Vick because he's so big, he's a great athlete but I just don't think he's a very good passer and I want a passing QB. Against both Wisconsin and Miami he had 50% or less completions, and last year he averaged only 56% completions. I'm just not that impressed when I watch him play. He probably will prove me somewhat wrong and maybe become a VY type of QB but I just rather have a pocket passer.
1) Luck
2) Pryor
3) Mallett
4) Locker
5) Newton

.... but in 2012 .....

Eh I'm not just a fan. I don't think he's more elusive than a guy like Vick because he's so big, he's a great athlete but I just don't think he's a very good passer and I want a passing QB. Against both Wisconsin and Miami he had 50% or less completions, and last year he averaged only 56% completions. I'm just not that impressed when I watch him play. He probably will prove me somewhat wrong and maybe become a VY type of QB but I just rather have a pocket passer.

Prior is a terrible passer, and if he hadn't of been the #1 qb coming out of highschool nobody would give a rats ass about him.

1. Luck
2. Mallet(teams will be drooling over his size and arm strength)
3. Locker
4. Stanzi
5A. Ponder
5B. Enderle
[ Edited by Thorhawk on Nov 7, 2010 at 1:30 AM ]
  • Riot
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
1) Luck
2) Pryor
3) Mallett
4) Locker
5) Newton

.... but in 2012 .....

Prior is a terrible passer, and if he hadn't of been the #1 qb coming out of highschool nobody would give a rats ass about him.

1. Luck
2. Mallet(teams will be drooling over his size and arm strength)
3. Locker
4. Stanzi
5A. Ponder
5B. Enderle

This is so true. The only reason people think he's great is because ESPN's been telling us that for the last three years.
  • titan
  • Veteran
I would experiment with Cam Newton before I will with Pryor. For me I am a Mallet Fan. I am in Ahhh with his passing abilities. With a good disciplinarian coach he can do some amazing things with the way NFL is going with the free for all passing game. If we don't get him I would not be mad if we get Luck or Stanzi.
Stanzi...just cause.

Originally posted by titan:
I'm a Ryan Mallet fan! A good passing Offensive coordinator could make us look like the Colts on offense. I seen him throw over 85 yards during warm up last year with ease. I seen them practice with no dropped passed from his receivers. He is immature and has a lot of fun, but a solid head coach and with his own maturation he could be very dangerous in a passing NFL league. He is the prototype QB the NFL offensive attack is gearing towards to. With his arm strength he may get more total yards and offensive movement than Smith with just tossing the ball and getting a pass interference call. Right now he has shifty receivers, but no true deep threat. If we can get him and a WR with speed like Jackson that would be pretty sick. Incase we get luck that would be awesome also! either would be better than what we are baby sitting right now.

Two words Big Ben. Sure we'd love his upside, but do we want to deal with the potential downside? You know what? With all of the ineptitude at QB the last five plus years I don't care.

Share 49ersWebzone