LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 328 users in the forums

Your vote for Top QB in 2011 (for the 49ers)

Originally posted by TexasNiner84:
I like Locker and I wouldn't mind picking him up. But I disagree with everything you've said about Luck

I like Luck. Don't misunderstand what I'm saying. Luck throws a good ball. But he has good O Line protection too and is not that athletic. I think he needs good time to throw. Not that I don't like him some BTW. He throws an accurate pass and he has some "it factor" in him. I like Luck some and wouldn't mind getting him. It's just that he will have less time to throw in the NFL.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Here's the thing, I could careless about my QB being an athlete, Peyton Manning is a horrible athlete but his football IQ is second to none. And Luck is still very young yet, hes already surpassed his freshman numbers in 5 games from what he did in 12. Luck has all the tools to start from day one in the NFL, can't say the same for Locker.

I like Luck if he has lots of time to throw. But we don't have that with our line. Locker is ready day one. His pocket presence is great. Go back and look at the USC games. He makes plays from the pocket and has very good football IQ.

Again you don't want me to rely on one game Locker had with Nebraska, but you still intend on bringing up this USC game. Why don't you bring up Luck's game against USC, he was pretty damn effective for a freshman throwing for two TD's.

I'm sure both QB's will be effective in the NFL one of these days, only I feel that Luck will bring us up to speed due to him being more of a pocket passer.
Here's the thing, I could careless about my QB being an athlete, Peyton Manning is a horrible athlete but his football IQ is second to none. And Luck is still very young yet, hes already surpassed his freshman numbers in 5 games from what he did in 12. Luck has all the tools to start from day one in the NFL, can't say the same for Locker.

I like Luck if he has lots of time to throw. But we don't have that with our line. Locker is ready day one. His pocket presence is great. Go back and look at the USC games. He makes plays from the pocket and has very good football IQ.

Again you don't want me to rely on one game Locker had with Nebraska, but you still intend on bringing up this USC game. Why don't you bring up Luck's game against USC, he was pretty damn effective for a freshman throwing for two TD's.

I'm sure both QB's will be effective in the NFL one of these days, only I feel that Luck will bring us up to speed due to him being more of a pocket passer.

There is multiple USC games with Locker which were outstanding.

If you want to look at 1 game why not Stanford vs. Oregon?... You don't like that example?

BTW I don't necessarily dislike Luck. In fact Locker or Luck could be good I think. I believe it would be better for us than what we have. With Alex I feel he can throw the ball but he is so scared now and has lost all his confidence. It's time for something new.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 8, 2010 at 01:23:58 ]
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TexasNiner84:
I like Locker and I wouldn't mind picking him up. But I disagree with everything you've said about Luck

I like Luck. Don't misunderstand what I'm saying. Luck throws a good ball. But he has good O Line protection too and is not that athletic. I think he needs good time to throw. Not that I don't like him some BTW. He throws an accurate pass and he has some "it factor" in him. I like Luck some and wouldn't mind getting him. It's just that he will have less time to throw in the NFL.

I agree with you! He reminds me of Mathew Stafford. I watched some of his games since all the big talk and I'm not impress.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

If you want to look at 1 game why not Stanford vs. Oregon?... You don't like that example?

BTW I don't necessarily dislike Luck. In fact Locker or Luck could be good I think. I believe it would be better for us than what we have. With Alex I feel he can throw the ball but he is so scared now and has lost all his confidence. It's time for something new.

Well Luck did throw for over 300 yards in that game vs. Oregon, compared to Lockers 71 yards against Nebraska.

And I agree with you on your last paragraph, its time to move one. Give me Mallet, Luck or Locker over Smith.

Well Luck did throw for over 300 yards in that game vs. Oregon, compared to Lockers 71 yards against Nebraska.

And I agree with you on your last paragraph, its time to move one. Give me Mallet, Luck or Locker over Smith.

Nebraska is the best defense in all of college football. No comparison at all. Plus Luck is playing with better talent than Locker. How much talent do you think U. of Washington really has? It's all Locker. He carries them.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by mayo49:
I don't think Luck is coming out, so it has to be between Mallett, Locker and Ponder in that order.

The only reason Luck would stay would be to avoid going to a really sad franchise like Buffalo or Cleveland (if they're picking #1).

What does he have left to accomplish at Stanford?

graduating stanford is a pretty big accomplishment, he knows the NFL is in his future, and has openly stated that he will be pursuing his degree before entering the NFL..

i actually think the ONLY way he would consider abandoning this is if we were to both hire harbaugh, and have the 1st overall pick...as he would be losing his coach at stanford, and would be able to continue his education at stanford staying in the bay area...

its a lot of maybes..without the assurances its highly unlikely he leaves before graduating.

Nebraska is the best defense in all of college football. No comparison at all. Plus Luck is playing with better talent than Locker. How much talent do you think U. of Washington really has? It's all Locker. He carries them.

The talent at Stanford is nowhere near the talent at Oregon and Luck had them steamrolling Oregon in the first half. Reading your arguments I highly doubt that you've seen Luck play. The dude is fast! Not Locker fast, but when he takes off and run he's quick. And he doesn't take long to throw...what is that based on?

He puts nice touch on the ball, with defenders in his face, getting hit. IMO, listening to you talk about why to draft Locker is like people wanting to draft Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers.

Sure, it's sexy to have a QB who's super fast and has a great arm, but I want a winner(lol I sound like Sing) and I want a smart QB with great accuracy, who can read a defense and work through his progressions, which I think Luck gives you.

Now I know Locker will be better than Smith, don't get me wrong, but I see some of Smith's faults in him...no thank you
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Talent, what does talent have to do with Locker only throwing for 71 yards?? I thought Locker was the one who carried the team?? 20 attempts and only 4 completions!!!

I could see if Locker wasn't hyped up to be a top 10 pick, and just some QB from Tennessee Tech, then I'd understand the 71 yards passing.

[ Edited by Kolohe on Oct 8, 2010 at 19:51:23 ]
Luck. whatever our record ends up being we need to get a top qb in the draft.

Originally posted by SourdoughDan:

The talent at Stanford is nowhere near the talent at Oregon and Luck had them steamrolling Oregon in the first half. Reading your arguments I highly doubt that you've seen Luck play. The dude is fast! Not Locker fast, but when he takes off and run he's quick. And he doesn't take long to throw...what is that based on?

He puts nice touch on the ball, with defenders in his face, getting hit. IMO, listening to you talk about why to draft Locker is like people wanting to draft Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers.

Sure, it's sexy to have a QB who's super fast and has a great arm, but I want a winner(lol I sound like Sing) and I want a smart QB with great accuracy, who can read a defense and work through his progressions, which I think Luck gives you.

Now I know Locker will be better than Smith, don't get me wrong, but I see some of Smith's faults in him...no thank you

Stanford talent = Oregon talent. Same thing. No advantage there. It's WA who doesn't have talent.

Talent, what does talent have to do with Locker only throwing for 71 yards?? I thought Locker was the one who carried the team?? 20 attempts and only 4 completions!!!

I could see if Locker wasn't hyped up to be a top 10 pick, and just some QB from Tennessee Tech, then I'd understand the 71 yards passing.

Again you are overly obsessed with 1 game. Yet you fail to give him credit for MULTIPLE GAMES vs USC (which has far, far superior talent BTW) where he totally owns them.
I like both Locker and Luck.

But neither one will turn out to be any good at all if we have the same people running this team.

With the right coaching (meaning, coaches we don't currently have on our staff) I think either one of them would be a great QB for us.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I like both Locker and Luck.

But neither one will turn out to be any good at all if we have the same people running this team.

With the right coaching (meaning, coaches we don't currently have on our staff) I think either one of them would be a great QB for us.

I'd say it's this.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Again you are overly obsessed with 1 game. Yet you fail to give him credit for MULTIPLE GAMES vs USC (which has far, far superior talent BTW) where he totally owns them.

No I'm not obsessed, but it does show a major flaw in which Locker fails to distribute the ball efficiently. What I don't get in your bias approach is why you continue to ignore his bad game vs. Nebraska and just lay it on the talent of the team. As it says, your offense is only as good as your QB. And show me a link where Nebraska is rated as the #1 defense???

Where I fail to give credit for Locker for his victories over an overrated USC team or teams is where you do the same for Luck.

I'm not here to win an argument, but only to show you how Luck would help our 9ers out more than Locker would.
Share 49ersWebzone