LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 398 users in the forums

Analysis: 49ers' Positions of Need in 2011 and Prospects to Fill Them

Terrific research, Clock... This gives us all a really nice overview. Also agree on your "needs list". Thanks for putting in the time getting this together.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Agreed. I don't want us to have to draft another QB. We so badly need Smith to step it up. I'm hoping and praying he can so we can focus on other dire needs and finally put QB farther down the list -- for sure. As long as our new OL-men develop right, are biggest needs really will just be at Pass Rusher, NT, and CB/S. We also need a true #2 WR. Morgan is not good enough for that role.

Sorry, OTC, couldn't disagree more. Smith is NOT the guy. He wasn't in his rookie year, or in any year since. A few games in '06, an opening night game against AZ, 1 quarter against a relaxed Houston defense, and the Monday night game against NO. That's IT during his entire career when he actually looked like an NFL QB. If he plays to that level and we build ALL the rest of the pieces, we could be a 10-6 team. But with a real QB we can be much better, much faster. Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez and Josh Freeman, all came in and contributed very quickly (Freeman was as raw as they get, and he only took a year and now looks like a very solid option). This is a QB league. Morgan IS good enough. What do I mean by that? Well for one, we have Vernon and Crabtree. He is therefore, the #3 option. What I also mean, is that if Smith is our QB and Sing is our coach, we barely even need him. All we need are backup TEs to throw 3 yard passes to. I don't say this condescendingly, I mean that seriously. How important is a #3 receiving option in our current system? Morgan is often open along the sidelines and can bring in a high pass, but often gets overthrown by Smith. Smith's accuracy is simply not there. I know you watch enough football to see where a guys like Rivers, Manning and Rodgers place the ball. I know deep down you know that Smith simply does not, and has not show the ability to, do so. And finally, what I mean by Morgan IS good enough, is that Morgan is a much better #2 WR than Smith is a QB. The importance of the positions can't even be debated, we all know that. But if for the sake of the argument we assume that the #2 WR is just as important as the QB, then I have to argue that I have much more confidence that Morgan can be a good #2 WR, than I do that Smith can be a good QB. He simply can't. Must I keep reminding people that this team has far and away (with Colts and maybe Dallas the only competition) the proudest QB franchise in history? Tittle, Brody, Joe, Steve and Garcia. And this is what we've been reduced to? I would love it as much as anyone if Smith came out and proved me wrong, but I can't imagine Smith's accuracy improving any more than I can imagine Clements suddenly becoming fast, or Lawson suddenly becoming a pass-rush threat. Singletary is a different issue altogether. My guess (or rather my hope and prayer) that one of these guys comes in next year and brings a QB and knowledge of offensive Xs and Os (the rest of the offense is set up to succeed):

-Mike Gundy
-Chris Peterson
-Urban Meyer (longshot)
-Jim Harbaugh (!!!!!!!)

Sorry if I seem attacking, I don't mean to be, I simply have to be objective, and cannot lie to myself about Alex becoming a great QB (or even a decent one) anymore.

If you're saying our coaching has been horrendous -- I'm not say it hasn't, and am not in disagreement with that.

If you're saying our QB play has been subpar -- I'm not say that hasn't either. Again not in disagreement with that.

But if you're saying Morgan is a good #2, that I feel is debatable and open to opinion. You feel it falls more on Alex -- I feel it falls half on Morgan, half on the system. He's a borderline #2 guy in my mind. I can tell we'll probably have to agree to disagree on this one, but I can at least understand your point of view.

However, at the same time, I have to think you misunderstood my post. I never said Alex was the future -- only that I hoped somehow he could prove to be so. We desperately need a QB. I absolutely would love for Alex to turn it around and over the next 13+ games make it clear that this really is his year. He only has that amount of time left in San Fran if he doesn't.

I'm in complete agreement that anything less than a stellar season from Alex should mean his departure, and with the likely losing season that that would come with, the departure of Singletary as well. Love Sing as a person, but he's getting outcoached far too often. It's sickening to watch some Sundays. Again, with a poor season, getting a new coach is also something I would agree with you on.

I don't think there's much at all we're in disagreement with, aside from Morgan's level of ability right now. So we're fine, my friend.

Agreed. I don't want us to have to draft another QB. We so badly need Smith to step it up. I'm hoping and praying he can so we can focus on other dire needs and finally put QB farther down the list -- for sure. As long as our new OL-men develop right, are biggest needs really will just be at Pass Rusher, NT, and CB/S. We also need a true #2 WR. Morgan is not good enough for that role.

Sorry, OTC, couldn't disagree more. Smith is NOT the guy. He wasn't in his rookie year, or in any year since. A few games in '06, an opening night game against AZ, 1 quarter against a relaxed Houston defense, and the Monday night game against NO. That's IT during his entire career when he actually looked like an NFL QB. If he plays to that level and we build ALL the rest of the pieces, we could be a 10-6 team. But with a real QB we can be much better, much faster. Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez and Josh Freeman, all came in and contributed very quickly (Freeman was as raw as they get, and he only took a year and now looks like a very solid option). This is a QB league. Morgan IS good enough. What do I mean by that? Well for one, we have Vernon and Crabtree. He is therefore, the #3 option. What I also mean, is that if Smith is our QB and Sing is our coach, we barely even need him. All we need are backup TEs to throw 3 yard passes to. I don't say this condescendingly, I mean that seriously. How important is a #3 receiving option in our current system? Morgan is often open along the sidelines and can bring in a high pass, but often gets overthrown by Smith. Smith's accuracy is simply not there. I know you watch enough football to see where a guys like Rivers, Manning and Rodgers place the ball. I know deep down you know that Smith simply does not, and has not show the ability to, do so. And finally, what I mean by Morgan IS good enough, is that Morgan is a much better #2 WR than Smith is a QB. The importance of the positions can't even be debated, we all know that. But if for the sake of the argument we assume that the #2 WR is just as important as the QB, then I have to argue that I have much more confidence that Morgan can be a good #2 WR, than I do that Smith can be a good QB. He simply can't. Must I keep reminding people that this team has far and away (with Colts and maybe Dallas the only competition) the proudest QB franchise in history? Tittle, Brody, Joe, Steve and Garcia. And this is what we've been reduced to? I would love it as much as anyone if Smith came out and proved me wrong, but I can't imagine Smith's accuracy improving any more than I can imagine Clements suddenly becoming fast, or Lawson suddenly becoming a pass-rush threat. Singletary is a different issue altogether. My guess (or rather my hope and prayer) that one of these guys comes in next year and brings a QB and knowledge of offensive Xs and Os (the rest of the offense is set up to succeed):

-Mike Gundy
-Chris Peterson
-Urban Meyer (longshot)
-Jim Harbaugh (!!!!!!!)

Sorry if I seem attacking, I don't mean to be, I simply have to be objective, and cannot lie to myself about Alex becoming a great QB (or even a decent one) anymore.

If you're saying our coaching has been horrendous -- I'm not say it hasn't, and am not in disagreement with that.

If you're saying our QB play has been subpar -- I'm not say that hasn't either. Again not in disagreement with that.

But if you're saying Morgan is a good #2, that I feel is debatable and open to opinion. You feel it falls more on Alex -- I feel it falls half on Morgan, half on the system. He's a borderline #2 guy in my mind. I can tell we'll probably have to agree to disagree on this one, but I can at least understand your point of view.

However, at the same time, I have to think you misunderstood my post. I never said Alex was the future -- only that I hoped somehow he could prove to be so. We desperately need a QB. I absolutely would love for Alex to turn it around and over the next 13+ games make it clear that this really is his year. He only has that amount of time left in San Fran if he doesn't.

I'm in complete agreement that anything less than a stellar season from Alex should mean his departure, and with the likely losing season that that would come with, the departure of Singletary as well. Love Sing as a person, but he's getting outcoached far too often. It's sickening to watch some Sundays. Again, with a poor season, getting a new coach is also something I would agree with you on.

I don't think there's much at all we're in disagreement with, aside from Morgan's level of ability right now. So we're fine, my friend.

Sorry for the explosion, just overreact to anything that's not identifying QB and Coach as main needs. Agree on Sing. Love the guy, but NOT an NFL coach. Simply not smart enough from that point of view. Any guys you would like to see coach us next year? What do you think of my list? Thanks for the greatly detailed post btw!

-Mike Gundy
-Chris Peterson
-Urban Meyer (longshot)
-Jim Harbaugh (!!!!!!!)

Sorry for the explosion, just overreact to anything that's not identifying QB and Coach as main needs. Agree on Sing. Love the guy, but NOT an NFL coach. Simply not smart enough from that point of view. Any guys you would like to see coach us next year? What do you think of my list? Thanks for the greatly detailed post btw!

I would take any of those listed. But Harbaugh would be my primary choice from those mentioned.
What other 1st round QB talents are there other than Luck, Mallet, Locker?
[ Edited by Leathaface on Sep 29, 2010 at 10:40 AM ]
Originally posted by epdavis:
Hey OTC great list I was just wondering if you could do a quick overview on what you think of this class of pass rushers?

When it comes to the Hybrid Rushers we're looking for, I'm not sure it's as good as years past, but it's still too early to tell. There are some good players that have the size you'd look for, but the problem is that I have serious doubts about the ability for some of these guys to convert from DE to OLB and drop back. Many of the pure OLB prospects do not possess the typical 3-4 linebacker size, checking in at the 230 pound range. We need guys near 240, and there aren't many out there like that. Most of the undersized DE's I've been scouting don't appear to have the change of direction ability to successfully convert to linebacker.

Here's an initial list of about 10 guys we could be tracking (I'll rank in order of preference):

1. Akeem Ayers (UCLA), 6-4 254 4.68 *
2. Jeremy Beal (Oklahoma), 6-3 260 4.74
3. Ryan Kerrigan (Purdue), 6-4 263 4.82
4. K.J. Wright (Mississippi State), 6-3 245 4.68
5. Mark Herzlich (Boston College), 6-4 245 4.75
6. Jabaal Sheard (Pittsburgh), 6-3 255 4.76
7. Brian Duncan (Texas Tech), 6-0 240 4.73
8. Mason Foster (Washington), 6-2 240 4.73
9. Cliff Matthews (South Carolina), 6-3 262 4.77
10. Bruce Miller (Central Florida, 6-1 248 4.75

Note: I didn't include Quinn on here because he's more of a 4-3 End at around 6-5 270 pounds.
Thanks OTC you confirmed what I kind of thought that this seems to be just an OK class of pass rushers so far, but this will give me some players to keep an eye on.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
What other 1st round QB talents are there other than Luck, Mallet, Locker?

Ponder.....and that's about it.

With Buffalo drafting probably #1 and needing a QB, if Luck declares, he will go to Buffalo.
I have my eyes on Colin Kaepernick as a guy I'd like this team to draft. Efficient, and protects the ball (only one interception this year). Also, if he has to run for his life, he can, with the 4.5 speed he possesses.

Kaepernick is a clear team leader for Nevada, he's got a fine arm, obviously great mobility, and overall all the physical tools to be a good QB in the NFL. His competition level hurts him slightly, but that's about it.

On the year, CK has completed 69% of his passes for 924 yards with 7 TDs and 1 INT, while adding 451 rushing yards for 8 TDs, in four games. CK, with continued success could rise all the way into the first round, especially with a strong combine -- that would almost guarantee it. But there's a chance he could land in the 2nd-3rd round area if he's just OK in the off-season workouts/all-star games.
Everyone should keep a close eye on Terrelle Pryor. He is far from a refined QB, and will probably return for his senior year. But, he is a game changer, and forces teams to defend the whole field.

Bright kid, who works hard (film junkie), and has a cannon for an arm. He also runs like the wind. He is a taller, righthanded version of Mike Vick, without the baggage.

With a player like Pryor, he can generate plays escaping from defenders while learning the nuances of throwing the ball in this league. He has the biggest upside of any player in this draft, including Mallett, Luck, Locker, Ponder, who are in-the-pocket passers. Should be fun to see who comes out this year. Bunch of talented, NFL-sized, strong-armed group, maybe the strongest-armed collection of guys in a long time.

I'd be surprised, maybe even shocked to see the team bypass the QB position in this draft.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Oct 4, 2010 at 10:46 AM ]
I have my eyes on Colin Kaepernick as a guy I'd like this team to draft. Efficient, and protects the ball (only one interception this year). Also, if he has to run for his life, he can, with the 4.5 speed he possesses.

Kaepernick is a clear team leader for Nevada, he's got a fine arm, obviously great mobility, and overall all the physical tools to be a good QB in the NFL. His competition level hurts him slightly, but that's about it.

On the year, CK has completed 69% of his passes for 924 yards with 7 TDs and 1 INT, while adding 451 rushing yards for 8 TDs, in four games. CK, with continued success could rise all the way into the first round, especially with a strong combine -- that would almost guarantee it. But there's a chance he could land in the 2nd-3rd round area if he's just OK in the off-season workouts/all-star games.

I don't claim to be a NFL Draft expert but there's no way in hell I'd draft Kapernick. He's lanky, skinny, and an injury waiting to happen. He plays against sh!t opponents and only this year is finally starting to put it together. He's more of a runner than a passer as well, and we all know how those guys turn out in the NFL.

Let's just Draft Two QB'S ..... ala , 2010 and hope one turns out to be fine.
[ Edited by highway49 on Oct 4, 2010 at 1:23 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Everyone should keep a close eye on Terrelle Pryor. He is far from a refined QB, and will probably return for his senior year. But, he is a game changer, and forces teams to defend the whole field.

Bright kid, who works hard (film junkie), and has a cannon for an arm. He also runs like the wind. He is a taller, righthanded version of Mike Vick, without the baggage.

With a player like Pryor, he can generate plays escaping from defenders while learning the nuances of throwing the ball in this league. He has the biggest upside of any player in this draft, including Mallett, Luck, Locker, Ponder, who are in-the-pocket passers. Should be fun to see who comes out this year. Bunch of talented, NFL-sized, strong-armed group, maybe the strongest-armed collection of guys in a long time.

I'd be surprised, maybe even shocked to see the team bypass the QB position in this draft.

Are you stupid or something? We don't need a QB! This is for 2 reasons. One, Singletary has clearly explained why Alex has been either excellent or at worst "OK" in every game. Secondly, a QB is simply not important. Especially in our brilliant offensive system. Singletary has once again explained, for the benefit of the morons on this board who think QBs matter, that the QB position is not a big deal. So now that you have been educated in the Mike Singletary offense, answer me how you can justify wasting a pick on a QB, when we could instead draft a backup long snapper? And don't forget that we still have some positions on the o-line that are not filled by high first round picks. I'm not even going to get into David Carr, and how he makes the QB position out of the question for us!
Originally posted by Leathaface:

I don't claim to be a NFL Draft expert but there's no way in hell I'd draft Kapernick. He's lanky, skinny, and an injury waiting to happen. He plays against sh!t opponents and only this year is finally starting to put it together. He's more of a runner than a passer as well, and we all know how those guys turn out in the NFL.

I have to disagree. Kaepernick is a 6-5 220 pound kid. That's really not lanky, and he doesn't look lanky to me on screen. Lean maybe, but not lanky in the Todd Pinkston sense. Kaeper has a big-time arm and obviously great feet. Don't knock him just because he uses his 4.5 speed to his advantage. That's a tremendous asset to his team and it makes him an even more dangerous player to play against -- that speed in itself makes the entire offense more dangerous because it's something defenses have to respect.

If you're look for pure pocket passers this year, you're not going to find many. At least not any that we should be comfortable drafting. Almost every QB in this class has something I'm weary of, even Luck. And in regards to Luck, I wouldn't expect us to have a shot at him.

Another player I think quite highly of who should come out in a year or so is Robert Griffin of Baylor. Hugely talented kid who shines every-time he's on the field.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 4, 2010 at 7:23 PM ]
Did anybody hear Brent Musburger during the Stanford Oregon game say that Luck is the best college QB he has seen since Peyton Manning, that is extremely high praise coming from someone who has been around the game for what like 60 years.
Originally posted by epdavis:
Did anybody hear Brent Musburger during the Stanford Oregon game say that Luck is the best college QB he has seen since Peyton Manning, that is extremely high praise coming from someone who has been around the game for what like 60 years.

you know what that means

if the 49ers have the #1 pick

they take locker
Share 49ersWebzone