LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue

Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Kerrigan is in the mold of a Justin Smith and Paul Kruger. I think his best fit is as a 4-3 DE.

Justin Smith is the guy he reminds me of most. Ryan is non-stop the entire game. I still think he's athletic enough to learn to be an OLB. He has a nose for getting to the QB.

He could play the OLB position, but I think he has the greatest potential as a 4-3 DE though.

I agree with you on that. He'd definitely make a quicker impact as a DE then having to transition to an OLB. Another reason why I think us running a 4-3 would be better. Our defense is a 3-4 made up of players perfectly fit for the 4-3.
He's the dreaded "tweener"!

God I hate that word...
Just wanted to Bump it. Let everyone know he's a First Team All-American.
I've jumped on the bandwagon. If we miss out on Patrick Peterson and Prince Amukamara, I wouldn't mind selecting Ryan Kerrigan as our pass rushing terror at OLB. He's quick off the snap, defends the run well, uses his hands very well, and really strong at 260 lbs. He reminds me of a bigger Clay Matthews. If we're not convinced with Newton, Mallett, or Locker, let's go with Kerrigan.
I'm glad you're jumping on. Kids like Kerrigan are awesome to watch. He does remind me of a Clay Matthews/Justin Smith type. High-motor, highly productive guys. If we miss out on a Franchise QB in the first, I'd love to have Kerrigan. Then go for QB in the 2nd. Stanzi in the 2nd?
I'm glad you're jumping on. Kids like Kerrigan are awesome to watch. He does remind me of a Clay Matthews/Justin Smith type. High-motor, highly productive guys. If we miss out on a Franchise QB in the first, I'd love to have Kerrigan. Then go for QB in the 2nd. Stanzi in the 2nd?

I'd be down with that plan. But if we somehow have a shot to select Ras-I Dowling, Deunta Williams, or Rahim Moore, we have to take a look at them too. Maybe Ricky Stanzi might still be there in the 3rd.

Kerrigan is in the mold of a Justin Smith and Paul Kruger. I think his best fit is as a 4-3 DE.

Justin Smith is the guy he reminds me of most. Ryan is non-stop the entire game. I still think he's athletic enough to learn to be an OLB. He has a nose for getting to the QB.

He could play the OLB position, but I think he has the greatest potential as a 4-3 DE though.

I agree with you on that. He'd definitely make a quicker impact as a DE then having to transition to an OLB. Another reason why I think us running a 4-3 would be better. Our defense is a 3-4 made up of players perfectly fit for the 4-3.

Wow, no
Originally posted by Sjceruti:

Wow, no

Wow, no? Your reasoning being? Look at the facts, we have no true NT, Justin Smith is a better 4-3 DE or he could move into DT, no pass rushing OLB which is needed in a 3-4. Lawson would have more sacks as a DE so would McDonald. Ice is more of a 4-3 DT. Franklins more of a 4-3 DT. What's your reasoning instead of "wow, no"?

Wow, no

very informative post, I really like your reasoning and information provided.

He is a lot slimmer and quicker than Justin Smith. Honestly he reminds me more of a guy like Freeney or Mathis(quick edge rushing DE) than a Justin Smith(big stocky DE who also plays the run) or a Clay Matthews(OLB who can also play in space). But yeah he'd fit better in a 4-3, which we should switch to anyway.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

He is a lot slimmer and quicker than Justin Smith. Honestly he reminds me more of a guy like Freeney or Mathis(quick edge rushing DE) than a Justin Smith(big stocky DE who also plays the run) or a Clay Matthews(OLB who can also play in space). But yeah he'd fit better in a 4-3, which we should switch to anyway.

As you can tell I'm all for switching to the 4-3, we've been building the 3-4 since Nolan and still don't have the pieces. But I'm all for Kerrigan in the 1st. If we could get Dowling in the 2nd and somehow grab Stanzi in the 3rd or move back into the 2nd for him, I'd be a happy man.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

I think Kerrigan would make a good transition to a 3-4 OLB. He's that athletic. Plus, if Parys Harilson can play OLB for us, I'm almost positive that Kerrigan would be successful at it.

Wow, no

Wow, no? Your reasoning being? Look at the facts, we have no true NT, Justin Smith is a better 4-3 DE or he could move into DT, no pass rushing OLB which is needed in a 3-4. Lawson would have more sacks as a DE so would McDonald. Ice is more of a 4-3 DT. Franklins more of a 4-3 DT. What's your reasoning instead of "wow, no"?

Well I didnt want to get into this but here you go.

-Justin Smith was a better 4-3 end in Cincinnati, now he's getting up there in age and isn't a great rusher. He's one of the best 3-4 end in the league.

-The reason our OLB's dont have high sack numbers in the scheme. We don't blitz nearly enough. Example, when we actually did blitz Parys Harlson had his best year. Lawson isnt a great pass rusher but still fits in the 3-4 because he can hold the edge well and is a solid coverage guy, which if we do what you want and move him to DE (which I dont think will work because he's undersized) he wont be in coverage which is a strength.

-Next, why do you think McDonald would be such a good 4-3 end. He's slow. He might be a good backup but starting, no thanks unless we want to be worse. McD gets pressure in the 3-4 sometimes but thats because like I said before we only rush 3 linemen 90 percent of the time.

-Then we have Franklin. Solid NT. Nothing special and he's most likely gone next year anyway especially if we make the bad decision and move to the 4-3.

All in all, there are many issues to why our defense hasn't produced like we want it but moving to the 4-3 is a drastic measure. The best defenses in the NFL run the 3-4 for a reason. It's harder to defend. If we came up with more creative blitz and coverage plays like the Ravens, Steelers, and Chargers we would be fine. However we are content with just rushing 3 lineman which to people who dont understand football makes it look like Smith and McDonald are good pass rushers.

So thats why I said "wow. no."

Wow, no

Well I didnt want to get into this but here you go.

-Justin Smith was a better 4-3 end in Cincinnati, now he's getting up there in age and isn't a great rusher. He's one of the best 3-4 end in the league.

-The reason our OLB's dont have high sack numbers in the scheme. We don't blitz nearly enough. Example, when we actually did blitz Parys Harlson had his best year. Lawson isnt a great pass rusher but still fits in the 3-4 because he can hold the edge well and is a solid coverage guy, which if we do what you want and move him to DE (which I dont think will work because he's undersized) he wont be in coverage which is a strength.

-Next, why do you think McDonald would be such a good 4-3 end. He's slow. He might be a good backup but starting, no thanks unless we want to be worse. McD gets pressure in the 3-4 sometimes but thats because like I said before we only rush 3 linemen 90 percent of the time.

-Then we have Franklin. Solid NT. Nothing special and he's most likely gone next year anyway especially if we make the bad decision and move to the 4-3.

All in all, there are many issues to why our defense hasn't produced like we want it but moving to the 4-3 is a drastic measure. The best defenses in the NFL run the 3-4 for a reason. It's harder to defend. If we came up with more creative blitz and coverage plays like the Ravens, Steelers, and Chargers we would be fine. However we are content with just rushing 3 lineman which to people who dont understand football makes it look like Smith and McDonald are good pass rushers.

So thats why I said "wow. no."

But what you don't understand is that we don't need to switch back to a 4-3 if we selected Kerrigan. He can transition to OLB in our system. He played end at Purdue but also played at OLB when they used three down linemen.

I said it early, if Parys Haralson can transition to OLB for us, Kerrigan should be able to, especially since he has some experience at standing and rushing.
Share 49ersWebzone