LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 287 users in the forums

Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue

I'm far from a draft guru, but I'm wondering why Kerrigan gets no love. He led the Big Ten in sacks last year with 13 (3rd most in NCAA) and led the nation with 7 forced fumbles. This year he's on pace to be even better. Through 2 games he has 19 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, and a safety. Last games stat line read list this: 12 tackles, 4 tfl, a sack, and a forced fumbled. He's a high motor kid, similiar to Justin Smith, he never gives up. Good measureables: 6'4/263 lbs. I just wanna know people with better in sight on him, think of him. What's his weaknesses? Strengths? Potential?
Originally posted by Travisty13:
I'm far from a draft guru, but I'm wondering why Kerrigan gets no love. He led the Big Ten in sacks last year with 13 (3rd most in NCAA) and led the nation with 7 forced fumbles. This year he's on pace to be even better. Through 2 games he has 19 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, and a safety. Last games stat line read list this: 12 tackles, 4 tfl, a sack, and a forced fumbled. He's a high motor kid, similiar to Justin Smith, he never gives up. Good measureables: 6'4/263 lbs. I just wanna know people with better in sight on him, think of him. What's his weaknesses? Strengths? Potential?

Kerrigan does get love. He was a noteworthy player I brought up several times last year, and week one this season I praised his strong play against Notre Dame.

He may not get tons of discussion, but few players do. Trust me, when mock drafts start coming out, he'll be popping up far more often. And when the draft comes, he'll be getting a lot more talk.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Kerrigan does get love. He was a noteworthy player I brought up several times last year, and week one this season I praised his strong play against Notre Dame.

He may not get tons of discussion, but few players do. Trust me, when mock drafts start coming out, he'll be popping up far more often. And when the draft comes, he'll be getting a lot more talk.

Thank you OTC. I guess I'm just being a huge homer (I'm from the same town as Purdue) and wish he was spoke about the same way Clayborn from Iowa is talked about. I knew if anyone would bring attention to the kid, itd be you. Where do you have him slotted at going? Mid 1st? Or is he still late 1st-early 2nd?
here is my initial scouting report.

Ill update this as season gets further in, ill be adding stats and such.

but here it is.
Originally posted by AB:

Strengths: A nice blend of burst, speed and power.

Weaknesses: Only weakness is his coverage. Not sure if he is a End or OLB at the next level.

Overall: Poised for a good year, he should be a 2nd round pick come april 2011.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

but here it is.
Originally posted by AB:

Weaknesses: Only weakness is his coverage. Not sure if he is a End or OLB at the next level.

Thanks AB. I'm curious where he'd play too. He's about the size of Haralson, just taller. And plays with a non-stop motor. I think whichever team gets him with love what he brings to there team. Purdue seems to always produce good QBs and solid DLineman (A lot of there DEs get converted to 3-4 OLBs).
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

but here it is.
Originally posted by AB:

Thanks AB. I'm curious where he'd play too. He's about the size of Haralson, just taller. And plays with a non-stop motor. I think whichever team gets him with love what he brings to there team. Purdue seems to always produce good QBs and solid DLineman (A lot of there DEs get converted to 3-4 OLBs).

Yeah i agree, I think he is suited for the 3-4 OLB, he will need to work on the Coverage, But i think he will only improve.

I wouldnt mind picking him up somewhere in the draft, of course we are probably going overboard with draft and future talk, im guilty of it as much as the next guy. So I think we will have to wait and see how Kerrigan plays in 2010.

I can see him as high in the 15 range come april 2011.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Thank you OTC. I guess I'm just being a huge homer (I'm from the same town as Purdue) and wish he was spoke about the same way Clayborn from Iowa is talked about. I knew if anyone would bring attention to the kid, itd be you. Where do you have him slotted at going? Mid 1st? Or is he still late 1st-early 2nd?

He should not drop past the second round with a decent combine. If he times faster than expected, he could go in the 1st. Spring workouts had him clocking in the low 4.8 range. This didn't keep Larry English from going in the top 20 (although I felt he was an enormous reach, I have to had, especially coming from such poor competition).

Kerrigan has had a hot start to the year and I really like his motor. He reminds me of of a mix between Jared Allen and Justin Smith. If he can do well in agility drills at the combine though, you're going to have teams that run the 3-4 salivating over the opportunity to grab him.

reason for no love---because hes irish
Originally posted by hofer36:

reason for no love---because hes irish

Lol. But if he PLAYED for the Irish, it'd be a completely different story. He'd be overhyped.
Bump. I was wondering since the season is over, where everyone sees him going now. AB I saw him on ur big board. Why do low? Does that mean he could be had in the 2nd? Or is he a fringe late 1st rounder?

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Kerrigan is in the mold of a Justin Smith and Paul Kruger. I think his best fit is as a 4-3 DE.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Kerrigan is in the mold of a Justin Smith and Paul Kruger. I think his best fit is as a 4-3 DE.

Justin Smith is the guy he reminds me of most. Ryan is non-stop the entire game. I still think he's athletic enough to learn to be an OLB. He has a nose for getting to the QB.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

Justin Smith is the guy he reminds me of most. Ryan is non-stop the entire game. I still think he's athletic enough to learn to be an OLB. He has a nose for getting to the QB.

He could play the OLB position, but I think he has the greatest potential as a 4-3 DE though.

He could play the OLB position, but I think he has the greatest potential as a 4-3 DE though.

I think there are a handful of better fits for 3-4 DE to choose from like Cameron Jordan than Kerrigan, nothing wrong with him.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

I think there are a handful of better fits for 3-4 DE to choose from like Cameron Jordan than Kerrigan, nothing wrong with him.

Who said anything about Kerrigan as a 3-4 DE?
Share 49ersWebzone