LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

Quarterback Watch

Originally posted by DraftaQB:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

I was assuming that would be part of the answer...to which I would reply, "even though he's played in a pro-style system, he has proven he's incapable of running it effectively and passing effeciently in it, whether it be this season (where health might have been a factor) or last (when he was completely healthy)."

I mean, he's not horrendous...but he's also not very good, especially for someone considered an early 1st rounder.

You're right, both Harbaugh and Gruden know more about NFL quarterbacking than all the wisdom on this forum put together. However, there is a thing called hubris, and sometimes it gets in the way of player evaluation (especially when it comes to the QB position).

IMO, more so than Newton, Locker will struggle in the NFL. From my non-professional observation, he doesn't seem to trust his eyes/throws quite often, and that's the kiss of death at the next level.

From what I saw of Jake Locker in 2009 he ran the offense pretty well and had a pretty decent 21-11 TD int ratio.

This year, due to the lack of talent around him and his injuries he seems to have lost a little confidence - but I'm pretty sure he still would be a decent prospect and a worthy 1st rounder.

As far as Newton goes, history really hasn't been kind to that kind of running QB in the NFL - besides Vick (and IMO the jury is still out on him) who else has been a consistent success?

Locker had the same talent around him in 2010 (Kearse, Aguilar, Goodwin, JJohnson and CPolk) that he did in 2009 (where you say he had a decent year)...how can you then claim "a lack of talent around him?" It's the same group, with a year of experience under their belt. I also noticed that you never touched on probably the most important stat of a college QB...his completion %. Locker has never been above the 58.2 mark for his entire career. His inability to show accuracy at the college level, in a pro-style system will be problematic...this you can count on.

Btw, Vick has arrived (though it took him awhile) as a pro QB, but it took a life-changing event to get him to focus on football and not the other trappings. My point is, the skill level and talent where there, but Vick didn't have the dedication needed (prior to his arrest) to become the QB that he is today.

VY had definitely started to turn the corner this year (10 TDs, 3 Ints and a 98.6 passer rating) and Tim Tebow had a damn good showing in his first start against a top 5 passing defense and overall, top 10 defense at the time (Raiders). If you do research, you'll find that many of the draft talking heads believe Newton is a better natural passer at this stage of his career than Tebow.

And I was a huge Locker fan up until this past season (from a potential standpoint). I saw a shell-shocked player who struggled to look like an NFL prospect in general, much less a 1st rounder.

I was assuming that would be part of the answer...to which I would reply, "even though he's played in a pro-style system, he has proven he's incapable of running it effectively and passing effeciently in it, whether it be this season (where health might have been a factor) or last (when he was completely healthy)."

I mean, he's not horrendous...but he's also not very good, especially for someone considered an early 1st rounder.

You're right, both Harbaugh and Gruden know more about NFL quarterbacking than all the wisdom on this forum put together. However, there is a thing called hubris, and sometimes it gets in the way of player evaluation (especially when it comes to the QB position).

IMO, more so than Newton, Locker will struggle in the NFL. From my non-professional observation, he doesn't seem to trust his eyes/throws quite often, and that's the kiss of death at the next level.

From what I saw of Jake Locker in 2009 he ran the offense pretty well and had a pretty decent 21-11 TD int ratio.

This year, due to the lack of talent around him and his injuries he seems to have lost a little confidence - but I'm pretty sure he still would be a decent prospect and a worthy 1st rounder.

As far as Newton goes, history really hasn't been kind to that kind of running QB in the NFL - besides Vick (and IMO the jury is still out on him) who else has been a consistent success?

Locker had the same talent around him in 2010 (Kearse, Aguilar, Goodwin, JJohnson and CPolk) that he did in 2009 (where you say he had a decent year)...how can you then claim "a lack of talent around him?" It's the same group, with a year of experience under their belt. I also noticed that you never touched on probably the most important stat of a college QB...his completion %. Locker has never been above the 58.2 mark for his entire career. His inability to show accuracy at the college level, in a pro-style system will be problematic...this you can count on.

Btw, Vick has arrived (though it took him awhile) as a pro QB, but it took a life-changing event to get him to focus on football and not the other trappings. My point is, the skill level and talent where there, but Vick didn't have the dedication needed (prior to his arrest) to become the QB that he is today.

VY had definitely started to turn the corner this year (10 TDs, 3 Ints and a 98.6 passer rating) and Tim Tebow had a damn good showing in his first start against a top 5 passing defense and overall, top 10 defense at the time (Raiders). If you do research, you'll find that many of the draft talking heads believe Newton is a better natural passer at this stage of his career than Tebow.

And I was a huge Locker fan up until this past season (from a potential standpoint). I saw a shell-shocked player who struggled to look like an NFL prospect in general, much less a 1st rounder.
some of you guys are talking about the completion pct as if the better QBs would deliver 70+ of their passes...but they dont do that. the completion pct is just an indicator, not more.
someone posted a skin deep regression with completion pct as a exogenous variable, where u could see that a drew brees had slightly more than 60% of completion...

and just b/c he has the same cast like last year, it doesnt mean anything...if these guys are less talented, they stay less talented. and if your o-line changes from game to game due to injuries, you have more problems...and so on.
Originally posted by communist:

some of you guys are talking about the completion pct as if the better QBs would deliver 70+ of their passes...but they dont do that. the completion pct is just an indicator, not more.
someone posted a skin deep regression with completion pct as a exogenous variable, where u could see that a drew brees had slightly more than 60% of completion...

and just b/c he has the same cast like last year, it doesnt mean anything...if these guys are less talented, they stay less talented. and if your o-line changes from game to game due to injuries, you have more problems...and so on.

Competion % is an indicator that the kid has trouble competing passes at a high rate. Now, film study is required to get a better sense of WHY, I do agree with this. My larger point is, I don't think Locker is a bad/terrible prospect. I just don't think he's shown enough progress/production to be worthy of a high 1st rounder. If you wanted to make him a high pick based on potential, be my guest, because he has plenty of it. But unless the film study proved otherwise, I wouldn't touch him in the top 25.

You missed my point regarding the surrounding talent. I was responding to a post that mentioned on one hand, that Locker had a decent year in 2009, but because of the lack of talent around him in 2010 (along with injuries), he didn't do so well.

I merely pointed out that Locker had essentially the same people around him this year as he did last. That's what I was addressing. Btw, Jerome Kearse is one of the best WRs in the Pac 10, and will likely be drafted as high as any Auburn WR when he's eligible. He's big (6'2", 205), fast and has excellent hands. And he's not the only guy that Locker has at his disposal.

Just not buying this whole "lack of talent" excuse when it comes to Locker. Again, I like Locker and think he's got talent....I just don't see him worthy of a high-1st round pick. That's my only contention with him.
just in short: for me, locker isnt a first-rounder at all right now...but some guys say that he is crap. the thing is that locker had a good 09-season and a bad 10-season, thus we have MORE information about him than about newton, who plays a very good FIRST season as a starter.
Originally posted by communist:
just in short: for me, locker isnt a first-rounder at all right now...but some guys say that he is crap. the thing is that locker had a good 09-season and a bad 10-season, thus we have MORE information about him than about newton, who plays a very good FIRST season as a starter.

In a sane world, Newton isn't a first rounder either (and this is coming from a huge Newton fan), but his measureables, potential and production this year will put him in that position. If Locker had found a way to put up better numbers these last few years and look confident doing it, he would be in the same position as Newton...he just didn't do it (for whatever reason).

Perception is often reality in the draft, and right now, these guys are going in opposite directions in terms of perception.
Redskins will take a qb in the first, book it
I love Lockers' ability to run. His accuracy seems a bit iffy, though.
Originally posted by teeohh:

IMO, the Redskins will throw the world at Carolina for the rights to draft Luck #1 overall and pair him with Shanahan.

Yah lets hope they take Jake Locker.
  • buhda
  • Veteran
How about Ryan Lindley from San Diego St. He is looking good against Navy ..............

IMO, the Redskins will throw the world at Carolina for the rights to draft Luck #1 overall and pair him with Shanahan.

haven't they already given up half of their world through trades?

haven't they already given up half of their world through trades?
who cares...they were stupid enough to trade away their farm for mcnabb. we werent...thanks to god even if i dont believe in him.
right now, i dont think that luck would help them b/c nobody can help clausen. either his receivers dont help him or his o-line...i understand that a QB can make an o-line look better but there isnt any o-line at all.
Besides Luck, which QBs are most NFL ready? And by NFL ready, I mean able to come and start right away their rookie season.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Besides Luck, which QBs are most NFL ready? And by NFL ready, I mean able to come and start right away their rookie season.

IMO, it's possible that Mallett could start sometime late in his rookie year, but it won't be pretty. Though Locker might be able to grasp an NFL playbook, I have serious doubts he'd be able to execute at a high enough level.

The rest will need at least 1 full year (or more) before they're functional...again, just my opinion.
Originally posted by niner4life21:

IMO, it's possible that Mallett could start sometime late in his rookie year, but it won't be pretty. Though Locker might be able to grasp an NFL playbook, I have serious doubts he'd be able to execute at a high enough level.

The rest will need at least 1 full year (or more) before they're functional...again, just my opinion.

Basically my thoughts exactly. As I continue to say, every QB has some big issues they'll need to tune up before they really will be able to play at the NFL level. All QB's entering this draft have something that is worrisome. Mallett just terrifies me -- he's a boom or bust prospect, I feel.
Share 49ersWebzone