LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

Quarterback Watch

Originally posted by spizzy:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
The problem with taking Cam and locker is they are projects who need someone to develop them and we dont have that.

Not that Luck and Mallett dont need to be groomed, they just seem a lot more NFL ready.

I personally am against all the QB's in the 1st round except Luck unless we can get a HC/OC who can develop a QB

Locker isnt half the project Cam newton is.

1) Luck
2) Mallet
3) Locker
4) Stanzi/Ponder
5) Newton

Specifically, what do you base that on (besides your opinion)?
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
The problem with taking Cam and locker is they are projects who need someone to develop them and we dont have that.

Not that Luck and Mallett dont need to be groomed, they just seem a lot more NFL ready.

I personally am against all the QB's in the 1st round except Luck unless we can get a HC/OC who can develop a QB

1) Luck
2) Mallet
3) Locker
4) Stanzi/Ponder
5) Newton

You didn't ask me, but IMO its probably because Locker already plays in a pro style O so he's used to dropping back from under center and trying to read a D. On the other hand, Newton is more accurate. I'm not a huge fan of either of them but Locker scares me more. But if a QB guru like a Harbaugh or Gruden were to pick Locker, I would trust their opinion and give him a shot.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

1) Luck
2) Mallet
3) Locker
4) Stanzi/Ponder
5) Newton

You didn't ask me, but IMO its probably because Locker already plays in a pro style O so he's used to dropping back from under center and trying to read a D. On the other hand, Newton is more accurate. I'm not a huge fan of either of them but Locker scares me more. But if a QB guru like a Harbaugh or Gruden were to pick Locker, I would trust their opinion and give him a shot.

I was assuming that would be part of the answer...to which I would reply, "even though he's played in a pro-style system, he has proven he's incapable of running it effectively and passing effeciently in it, whether it be this season (where health might have been a factor) or last (when he was completely healthy)."

I mean, he's not horrendous...but he's also not very good, especially for someone considered an early 1st rounder.

You're right, both Harbaugh and Gruden know more about NFL quarterbacking than all the wisdom on this forum put together. However, there is a thing called hubris, and sometimes it gets in the way of player evaluation (especially when it comes to the QB position).

IMO, more so than Newton, Locker will struggle in the NFL. From my non-professional observation, he doesn't seem to trust his eyes/throws quite often, and that's the kiss of death at the next level.

I was assuming that would be part of the answer...to which I would reply, "even though he's played in a pro-style system, he has proven he's incapable of running it effectively and passing effeciently in it, whether it be this season (where health might have been a factor) or last (when he was completely healthy)."

I mean, he's not horrendous...but he's also not very good, especially for someone considered an early 1st rounder.

You're right, both Harbaugh and Gruden know more about NFL quarterbacking than all the wisdom on this forum put together. However, there is a thing called hubris, and sometimes it gets in the way of player evaluation (especially when it comes to the QB position).

IMO, more so than Newton, Locker will struggle in the NFL. From my non-professional observation, he doesn't seem to trust his eyes/throws quite often, and that's the kiss of death at the next level.

From what I saw of Jake Locker in 2009 he ran the offense pretty well and had a pretty decent 21-11 TD int ratio.

This year, due to the lack of talent around him and his injuries he seems to have lost a little confidence - but I'm pretty sure he still would be a decent prospect and a worthy 1st rounder.

As far as Newton goes, history really hasn't been kind to that kind of running QB in the NFL - besides Vick (and IMO the jury is still out on him) who else has been a consistent success?
just my opinion

1. Luck
2. Mallett
3. Stanzi
4. Devlin
5. Newton
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
just my opinion

1. Luck
2. Mallett
3. Stanzi
4. Devlin
5. Newton

Who is this Devlin kid??
i musta missed whatever put him on the radar but ive been hearing alot about him lately
Originally posted by WillisToHOF:
just my opinion

1. Luck
2. Mallett
3. Stanzi
4. Devlin
5. Newton

Who is this Devlin kid??
i musta missed whatever put him on the radar but ive been hearing alot about him lately
flacco's successor.
Originally posted by WillisToHOF:
just my opinion

1. Luck
2. Mallett
3. Stanzi
4. Devlin
5. Newton

Who is this Devlin kid??

Devlin is a career back up type - does everything okay, but that's it.
He'll probably go in the 4-5th round.

I'd go:

1. Luck
2. Mallet
3. Locker

I'd be happy with either Mallet or Locker and ecstatic with Luck.

If we can't get any of those I'd prefer to wait for 2012.
If Tebow finishes the season strong, I think it will bode very well for Newton. Like the comparison or not, they do have have similar skill sets and project to be utilized similarly. If Tebow builds on his strong first outing, I think Cam could slide into the top 5 and lockdown his spot as the second QB off the board.
Originally posted by DraftaQB:

From what I saw of Jake Locker in 2009 he ran the offense pretty well and had a pretty decent 21-11 TD int ratio.

This year, due to the lack of talent around him and his injuries he seems to have lost a little confidence - but I'm pretty sure he still would be a decent prospect and a worthy 1st rounder.

As far as Newton goes, history really hasn't been kind to that kind of running QB in the NFL - besides Vick (and IMO the jury is still out on him) who else has been a consistent success?

Locker's completion % is not great throughout his career...never above 60% not once. He makes mental errors. He has help, he has Chris Polk at RB, and not only that, who cares what other help he has at WR, its up to the QB to make these players better, and he has not.

Randall Cunningham is another QB scrambler, Fran Tarkenton, Steve Young? They werent to shabby. Not a lot of scrambling qb's have been in the league, however, none of them have had the abilities Cam has...

Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by DraftaQB:

Locker's completion % is not great throughout his career...never above 60% not once. He makes mental errors. He has help, he has Chris Polk at RB, and not only that, who cares what other help he has at WR, its up to the QB to make these players better, and he has not.

Randall Cunningham is another QB scrambler, Fran Tarkenton, Steve Young? They werent to shabby. Not a lot of scrambling qb's have been in the league, however, none of them have had the abilities Cam has...

Tark - A completly different era and so it's not comparable
Young - great passer first who just so happened to be an excellent runner too, again not comparable.
Cunningham - entirely comparable, however he was never consistently good and only had 4 really good years out of 16 he played.
after locker had went down in 2008 (chris polk wasnt healthy either), the huskies ended with 0 wins...auburn had 7 wins last year in the SEC...thus it could be that the team is SO bad that even the best QB couldn't make them to a top15 team.
yeah, a good QB should make a team and especially his WRs better and i think that locker indeed did that. but there is a border for making your guys better...the sky isn't the limit.
Terrell Pryor will sit out the first 5 games of his senior year

does he enter the draft?
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Terrell Pryor will sit out the first 5 games of his senior year

does he enter the draft?

doubt it.. seems to me he still has alot to prove.
Andy Dalton would be a nice mid round pick up. Winning, accurate and smart QB who is playing in a multi dimensional offense. The guy just keeps on winning and I would like to see us pick him up mid rounds.
Share 49ersWebzone