Originally posted by titan:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
ProFootballWeekly.com discussing the top QB prospects in the upcoming draft:

Quote:
SENIOR PROSPECTS

5. Ryan Mallett, Arkansas*
6-6e, 240e, 4.90e

Has a cannon on his shoulder that allows him to fit the ball into very tight spots and move his team downfield in a hurry when he is hot. Yet, his ball placement has been sporadic, his feet are heavy and he has been unable to stay healthy this season as a stationary passer. His footwork is lazy, his accuracy wanes on the move and he makes too many ill-advised throws, coming from a Bobby Petrino offense that tends to mask the deficiencies of his QBs. More troubling than any physical traits, however, are concerns about his intangibles, makeup and character that bear too much resemblance to former Chargers first-round bust Ryan Leaf.
Don't miss: Mallett's Razorbacks play Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl at 8:30 p.m. ET Jan. 4.

For realz B???

That's the first time I heard that.

I watch enough football to know that is crap! and for him to be ranked bottom 5 with the underclassman is just ignorant. I hope they keep bashing Mallet we may get him in the 2nd rd. the way they are evaluating him to be the worse qb.

ProFootballWeekly is horrible and they have no say for when Mallett gets drafted. I still see him getting selected in the 1st round. Unless he does horrible this offseason.

Because of need (not necessarily on talent), I see Mallett going in the top 15....easily.

Yup. Also another reason why Jake Locker will probably get selected in the 1st round.

Agreed...in fact, don't be shocked if we pick him. Not that I want him, but I wouldn't be surprised if Locker was the choice, especially if he was the top-ranked QB available when we pick.

It really depends on what happens to our coaching staff. I'm a fan of Locker's and I want the kid to succeed, but if we kept Singletary and our staff, I wouldn't touch Locker. However, if we were to hire a coach like Jim Harbaugh, I think he would develop Locker into a top notch QB.

Sing will be gone, thank God. But Harbaugh and Locker....that wouldn't be the worst combination.

i haven't had a chance to watch a lot of UW games this year. i know a lot of people either like him or hate him. but can someone school me here? the jake locker last year was pretty solid, from what i remember. why the real drop (but not drastic) in play? my father in law (UW fan) says it's injury? how do you guys see it?

thanks.

Honestly, it could be a number of things. A deep thigh bruise and a cracked rib could have been the reason for his inaccurate throws. However, he's had accuracy issues since last season. A lot of blame could also go to his offensive line which strives more on run blocking than pass blocking. Receiver play has also been inconsistent, dropping numerous passes. Blame could also go to coach Sark for letting Locker play through injury.

He's also shown some flashes this season when healthy. Making big plays with his feet, throwing darts through small windows of opportunity, and a very strong arm. I think if he gets selected by a team with a good offensive coach, he'll fare well in the pros.

What a perfect QB for a Sing run offense.[eek]

Daunte Culpepper
Tim Tebow
Vince Young

and any other QB that can run up the middle and gain 1 yard but not be able to throw the ball.
f**k this s**t. Whoever the top quarterback is, when we pick... we take him!!! f**k it, take Newton, I don't give a s**t anymore. WE NEED A FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by TexasNiner84:
f**k this s**t. Whoever the top quarterback is, when we pick... we take him!!! f**k it, take Newton, I don't give a s**t anymore. WE NEED A FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't pick one just to pick one, it has to be the best fit for the new HC.
Originally posted by darkknight49:

Don't pick one just to pick one, it has to be the best fit for the new HC.

yea i know, just pick one of those 3 or 4 I don't even care anymore
Thinking about it now. Cam Newton or Jake Locker are more than likely gonna be there for us. At this point, I'm cool with either one
Thinking about it now. Cam Newton or Jake Locker are more than likely gonna be there for us. At this point, I'm cool with either one

With the right coach that I can trust has a brain, I wouldn't mind either
I say we go for one of the Eagle's QBs.

Either Vick in Free Agency or Kolb in a Trade (Our #1 and 4th Round for Kolb and 3rd Round)

Either that or get Graham Harrell from the Packer's practice squad and see if he can wake Crabtree up.[/right]
Originally posted by 49er_AK:

Either Vick in Free Agency or Kolb in a Trade (Our #1 and 4th Round for Kolb and 3rd Round)

Either that or get Graham Harrell from the Packer's practice squad and see if he can wake Crabtree up.[/right]

A 1 and a 4 for Kolb and a 3....
Originally posted by 24plus25er:

Unless Luck is available, I'd rather have Kolb than any of the other "First Round" QBs...

Kolb - Locker : Locker may be better in 5 years
Kolb - Mallett : I kinda like Mallett, but I think Kolb is better right now. We don't have time to rebuild
Kolb - Newton : This one is unique, but it would require us to build our offense around Newton. Again, we don't have time for that.

Unless Luck is available, I'd rather have Kolb than any of the other "First Round" QBs...

Kolb - Mallett : I kinda like Mallett, but I think Kolb is better right now. We don't have time to rebuild
Kolb - Newton : This one is unique, but it would require us to build our offense around Newton. Again, we don't have time for that.

It's not that Kolb isn't any good but he was a second round pick and his nfl stats are mediocre at best. 18 games, 10 tds, 11 ints, 8 fumbles, 4 lost, 65% completion rate, 1,920 yards. His numbers are too close to Alex Smith's for comfort.

It's not that Kolb isn't any good but he was a second round pick and his nfl stats are mediocre at best. 18 games, 10 tds, 11 ints, 8 fumbles, 4 lost, 65% completion rate, 1,920 yards. His numbers are too close to Alex Smith's for comfort.

That's fine... All I'm trying to say is that besides Luck, I'm not very impressed with any of the other first round QBs. I would rather get a veteran through trade or free agency or young guy with a couple years of carrying a clipboard than spend a 1st round draft pick on Mallett, Newton, or Locker. My trade included the first round pick to ensure that we dont "waste" the pick on another high dollar bust.

I hear Peyton Manning will be a free agent at the end of the season....

That's fine... All I'm trying to say is that besides Luck, I'm not very impressed with any of the other first round QBs. I would rather get a veteran through trade or free agency or young guy with a couple years of carrying a clipboard than spend a 1st round draft pick on Mallett, Newton, or Locker. My trade included the first round pick to ensure that we dont "waste" the pick on another high dollar bust.

I hear Peyton Manning will be a free agent at the end of the season....

Only way we could get Peyton is if we hired his old man as GM. Which would be fine by me...
Originally posted by teeohh:

With the right coach that I can trust has a brain, I wouldn't mind either

This. If we have Harbaugh, I trust his ability to develop Cam Newton or Jake Locker. I'd be happy with Locker if Harbaugh was the coach.

yeah, right, with a new QB, we would be playoff-contender right from the start...perhaps with a rivers but even then our defense would suck.

and just one question about kolb: why the hell want anyone give a 1st-rounder away to get him? what's so special about that guy?
Just curious, but how many of you guys like Mallett? I've heard mixed opinions on him, but never got to see him play...
Share 49ersWebzone