LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 435 users in the forums

2010 draft cost us 61 million dollars.

2010 draft cost us 61 million dollars.

All the players we drafted cost us around 61 million dollars and that was with 2 first round picks.

look at what some other players got.

1 St. Louis Rams Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma 6 years, $78M; $50M G

3 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Gerald McCoy DT Oklahoma 5 years, $63.5M (max) $35M G

4 Washington Redskins Trent Williams OT Oklahoma 6 years, $60M (max); $36.75M G

5 Kansas City Chiefs Eric Berry S Tennessee 6 years, $60M (max); $34M G

Do you think the pay scale in the top 5 is out of hand?

Dam lucky we didn't have a top 5 pick. I think if we did we couldn't resign Willis and maybe even VD.
damn i hope we never get a top 5 pick untill a rookie pay scale comes in the league too expensive and way too much money on a player who hasnt even played a down yet
I'd rather give them that kind of money when they hit free agency. Alex Smith is probably the only top 5 pick who ever restructured his contract after realizing how s**tty he played, and I give him credit for that. Jamarcus Russell on the other hand..... prime example of why we need a rookie cap.

[ Edited by YuNGaCE on Aug 1, 2010 at 14:55:05 ]
This is an interesting notion. Where the draft was supposed to help improve the talent level of weak teams, these excessively inflated salaries for top draftees are now beginning to hamper the poor teams. It hamstrings them in not being able to afford keeping other talented players on their team.

Since we have a number of high first round selections, we will begin dicovering that as these players reach the end of the initial contracts, their future contract demands will wreak havoc.
It's seriously started to get ridiculous. It pains me to see a slob like Jamarcus russell get that kind of money and screw a team over, even if it is the raiders. Theres is no need for Sam Bradford to be getting paid more than Tom Brady, frankly its not really fair. Of course the top picks should get more money, but nothing should be guaranteed.

What's even more troubling is that most of these players don't even pan out, while the Chris Johnson's and Revis' have to hold out because they actually proved it. Thats how it works, you play well and you get paid. Teams should give those players that show themselves money, instead of gift wrapping 30 million dollars for no reason before they even hit training camp. Something has to change.
Rookie Salary Scale please!!!!
Originally posted by excelsior:
This is an interesting notion. Where the draft was supposed to help improve the talent level of weak teams, these excessively inflated salaries for top draftees are now beginning to hamper the poor teams. It hamstrings them in not being able to afford keeping other talented players on their team.

Since we have a number of high first round selections, we will begin dicovering that as these players reach the end of the initial contracts, their future contract demands will wreak havoc.

This is how im thinking. How do bad teams get better with these types of contracts? Yes they may sign a great player but most of the time they don't live up to the hipe. Now when you sign one of these top drafted players your proven players may have to walk because too much spent on a unproven player. To me its getting to a point that bad teams going to be stuck being bad because they cant affored paying proven players on there team. There has to be a correction to the draft pay scale if not then football will go down hill. Teams that are good will stay good because they will sign drafted players at a low cost and great players on bad team will walk because of pay. Good teams will pay because they can affored it.
Totally agree with you guys... having a top pick use to be a good thing. Now it's almost a bad thing. How many of these huge contracts are worth it? How many teams end up paying for years because of them? I've went back many times and looked at previous drafts and for the most part a lot of these players bust or don't live up to hype. At least later in the first round you aren't giving these guys as much money so you can move on if you want unlike say the Raiders with Russell.

Mid first round you are great players at a fraction of the cost. They might not be franchise potential but they can be more of a sure thing. Also, the amount of pressure on these top picks and the amount they receive might be enough to ruin some of these guys in itself.

I know a lot of these guys have ice in their veins but how many people would be fine collecting 50 million guaranteed and having an entire city or fan base saying we are counting on YOU to bring us back or bring us a championship. I know they try not to think of that but it has to be in there mind.

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 1, 2010 at 23:54:33 ]
Originally posted by iamtheman698:
All the players we drafted cost us around 61 million dollars and that was with 2 first round picks.

look at what some other players got.

1 St. Louis Rams Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma 6 years, $78M; $50M G

3 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Gerald McCoy DT Oklahoma 5 years, $63.5M (max) $35M G

4 Washington Redskins Trent Williams OT Oklahoma 6 years, $60M (max); $36.75M G

5 Kansas City Chiefs Eric Berry S Tennessee 6 years, $60M (max); $34M G

Do you think the pay scale in the top 5 is out of hand?

Dam lucky we didn't have a top 5 pick. I think if we did we couldn't resign Willis and maybe even VD.

Id trade a top 5 pick for a late first rounder...with no extra compensation.
Thus my theory that 2 second rounders hold more value to a team than a first rounder.

• Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:
Thus my theory that 2 second rounders hold more value to a team than a first rounder.

I would disagree. 2nd round picks are incredibly cheap for the skill level, but I'd slate picks 10-25 at the most valuable. As long as you are not picking for need, you're going to get a top 25 talent for a reasonable sum of money. I keep thinking about P Willis, Crabtree, Merriman, Chris Johnson as 10-20 picks that easily outplayed their contracts. Unless Bradford wins 5 straight superbowls, he can't outplay his contract.

I'd value early 2nd round picks over top 5 picks as the structure stands right now though.
WOW happy the Panther pick was not higher.
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
It's seriously started to get ridiculous. It pains me to see a slob like Jamarcus russell get that kind of money and screw a team over, even if it is the raiders. Theres is no need for Sam Bradford to be getting paid more than Tom Brady, frankly its not really fair. Of course the top picks should get more money, but nothing should be guaranteed.

What's even more troubling is that most of these players don't even pan out, while the Chris Johnson's and Revis' have to hold out because they actually proved it. Thats how it works, you play well and you get paid. Teams should give those players that show themselves money, instead of gift wrapping 30 million dollars for no reason before they even hit training camp. Something has to change.

I think this is an overlooked point with the rookie deals. When you actually have a guy that comes in and plays to the level of his contract or beyond, teams don't want to pay them in some cases. But the willingly hand out these overpriced contracts to guys to have never played a down in the NFL.
So what? The Yorks should spend some money and stop being so cheap.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Top 10 picks are almost punishment for not having a winning season.
Share 49ersWebzone