There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Draft theroy uncovered

• Elric
  • Veteran
How do you get 3 1st round picks in 2 years?
Observing Scott trading a second round pick for a first the following year.
Netted us 3 1st rounders in two years.

It seems to me a this is a loop hole on how to build a team quicker and one I hope will continue. It hurts to give up a second rounder but when I see the big picture it feels so good to be standing on two first rounders.

I read some where that Scott want to have a least a 1st round pick at every position.

Scott is no longer with us but I have learned from him and I expect 49ers to continue philosophy.
Originally posted by Elric:
How do you get 3 1st round picks in 2 years?
Observing Scott trading a second round pick for a first the following year.
Netted us 3 1st rounders in two years.

It seems to me a this is a loop hole on how to build a team quicker and one I hope will continue. It hurts to give up a second rounder but when I see the big picture it feels so good to be standing on two first rounders.

I read some where that Scott want to have a least a 1st round pick at every position.

Scott is no longer with us but I have learned from him and I expect 49ers to continue philosophy.

We have one at every position except for FB, HB, FS, and K/P
I don't think it's a loophole. I just think it's the benefit or reward being patient and waiting one year to get a better pick.
in a way I want someone at rd 1 at each position, but u never know with late rd guys, alot surprise.
I think you spelled "theory" wrong.
Noticed that a while ago. Thats why I never understood while people where so down on Scott M. 3 out of 5 years they had 2 picks in the first round Lawson/Davis Willis/Staley and now this year. 8 first rounders in 5 years is the most in the NFL over that span.
I completely disagree with this style. If I were a GM. my goal would be 50% drafted starters, 25% big time FA's and 25% gold nugget value pickups...late rounders, undrafted..etc. You are going to need the latter by the way, its the only way to stay under cap. Most Championship teams have 2 to 3 solid starters who contribute way more than they earn.
It just depends on the year. If it's a deep draft, giving up later round picks for a following year's first may not be a great idea. OTOH, if you don't like what's available when you're picking in the 2nd round (Everette Brown), go ahead and trade it away.

I don't think the philosophy should be so rigid - while it can certainly work to your advantage, you can't assume all drafts are the same.
Originally posted by MertonHanks:
It just depends on the year. If it's a deep draft, giving up later round picks for a following year's first may not be a great idea. OTOH, if you don't like what's available when you're picking in the 2nd round (Everette Brown), go ahead and trade it away.

I don't think the philosophy should be so rigid - while it can certainly work to your advantage, you can't assume all drafts are the same.

Good point.
I think his strategy was fairly obvious and one that really didn't need to be "uncovered".
I think it's easier to sit on the sidelines and say teams should do this every year.

It's not like there's always somebody who wants to give up a future first for your spot. You also usually have to be in the top half of the round (i.e. -- we've been able to do this because we frickin' sucked and had picks in the top 12 of the 2nd round).
  • BigRon
  • Veteran
I thought this thread was about the Rookie of the Year we drafted.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by bigmike55:

serio pedo
I would value Two 2nd round picks over 1 first round picks any day of the week. The first round picks have so much guaranteed money, second rounders are a bargain, and the deal are for 4 years, instead of 5 years.

If the niners traded down this year for two picks, they could have had a great second round, with 3 total picks.

I have always felt Scotty failed due to his team was so inadquate, even with so many top 30 picks.