LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 334 users in the forums

Top Seniors To Watch: By Position

Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Pouncey was drafted by the Steelers

Maurkice Pouncey was drafted by the Steelers. Mike's his twin.

Hopefully we get a "2nd. chance' to get a Pouncey
How could you leave off Mark Ingram?... Just kidding.

But, if Mark Herzlich can return to pre-illness form, would he have made your list. I have only watched a couple of games that he played in, but he really stuck out in both of those games.
Hey OTC, how does Prince Amukamara match up against the past few top CB's coming out?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by kronik:
Thanks for officially kicking off 2011 prospect watching. Quick question about the speed in this upcoming CB prospects. This draft is loaded in CB, most have good size. What I'm wondering is their speed. That's still something we need, to cover players like Desean Jackson and Roddy White.

This past draft had no CB's running sub 4.4 at the NFL combine. Don't think that has happened in a long time. Can you list your top CB's with a guestimate on their speed and size?

Thanks again.

Keep in mind that these rankings can and probably will change slightly over the course of the season.

1. Prince Amukamura, Nebraska, 6-0 200 should clock around 4.50 flat.
2. Patrick Peterson, LSU, 6-0 211 * could clock in the low 4.4s
3. Ras-I Dowling, Virginia 6-1 200 should clock in the low 4.5s

40-times are often unpredictable, but one guy who could crack the 4.3s is Rashad Carmichael from Virginia Tech. Thing is, he's a smallish corner at probably only about 5-9 or 5-10 and around a 180 lb. frame.

Yea, they have good size. They will be great against the Brandon Marshall big type WR's. But might get burned by the Desean Jackson's of the league.

What I'm curious about is what has happen to fast CB's? They used to always dominate the 40 dash at the combines. Now, we've just had a class where no CB could beat 253 lb tight end Vernon Davis's time. And it seems the top CB prospects next year don't have elite speed either it seems. I know it's early, we'll see.
[ Edited by kronik on Jul 7, 2010 at 2:26 PM ]
Originally posted by jta854:
How could you leave off Mark Ingram?... Just kidding.

But, if Mark Herzlich can return to pre-illness form, would he have made your list. I have only watched a couple of games that he played in, but he really stuck out in both of those games.

Yes, he would've been in the list as either #4 or 5.

Originally posted by jreff22:
Hey OTC, how does Prince Amukamara match up against the past few top CB's coming out?

Prince would've been in the top 5 CB's in my mind had he come out last year. He's one of the best press corners in my eyes. What I saw in Amukamara was a very physical, but also very disciplined player with great awareness. He's a year away from any sort of combine, but my guess is he's not going to run a blazing 40. I'll continue the report on Prince by answering the following poster's question. . .

Thanks for officially kicking off 2011 prospect watching. Quick question about the speed in this upcoming CB prospects. This draft is loaded in CB, most have good size. What I'm wondering is their speed. That's still something we need, to cover players like Desean Jackson and Roddy White.

This past draft had no CB's running sub 4.4 at the NFL combine. Don't think that has happened in a long time. Can you list your top CB's with a guestimate on their speed and size?

Thanks again.

Keep in mind that these rankings can and probably will change slightly over the course of the season.

1. Prince Amukamura, Nebraska, 6-0 200 should clock around 4.50 flat.
2. Patrick Peterson, LSU, 6-0 211 * could clock in the low 4.4s
3. Ras-I Dowling, Virginia 6-1 200 should clock in the low 4.5s

40-times are often unpredictable, but one guy who could crack the 4.3s is Rashad Carmichael from Virginia Tech. Thing is, he's a smallish corner at probably only about 5-9 or 5-10 and around a 180 lb. frame.

Yea, they have good size. They will be great against the Brandon Marshall big type WR's. But might get burned by the Desean Jackson's of the league.

What I'm curious about is what has happened to fast CB's? They used to always dominate the 40 dash at the combines. Now, we've just had a class where no CB could beat 253 lb tight end Vernon Davis's time. And it seems the top CB prospects next year don't have elite speed either it seems. I know it's early, we'll see.

Receivers like Jackson need to be effectively jammed at the line. Randy Moss is a bigger player, but he has that same kind of speed and you saw that he struggled against strong press cover corners. If I had to compare Amukamura to a player in the league right now, he's a Darrell Revis type. That's if he can realize his full potential. Revis was only expected to run in the 4.5's as well, so like Revis, Amukamura might light up the track too and get picked even earlier in the 1st.
JAKE LOCKER

Tebow who?
Originally posted by spizzy:
JAKE LOCKER

Tebow who?

Probably one of the reasons the kid has drawn comparisons to Steve Young by some coaches and analysts.
JAKE LOCKER

Tebow who?

Probably one of the reasons the kid has drawn comparisons to Steve Young by some coaches and analysts.

He's a right handed Tebow who plays in a pro system with great mechanics. I think he would draw comparisons to McNabb if he was black
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
JAKE LOCKER

Tebow who?

He's a right handed Tebow who plays in a pro system with great mechanics. I think he would draw comparisons to McNabb if he was black

I don't know about "great mechanics", he looks stiff when dropping back. Your right, he looks like a another version of Tim Tebow, if his first read isn't open, he takes off with the ball. I'm having a hard time buying into the hype with this kid.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
JAKE LOCKER

Tebow who?

I don't know about "great mechanics", he looks stiff when dropping back. Your right, he looks like a another version of Tim Tebow, if his first read isn't open, he takes off with the ball. I'm having a hard time buying into the hype with this kid.

Kolohe stop hating on my Jake Locker campaign lol!

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
JAKE LOCKER

Tebow who?

LOL!!!

Sorry.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him as a 9er, just as I was warming up to the idea of having Tebow in red and gold. Only, I wouldn't take Locker or Tebow in the 1st round. I'm sure they are both very coachable, but taking them later in the draft would lower a lot of expectations.....well maybe not in our case. I forgot how everyone wanted Nate Davis to start due to a few 4th quarter Preseason games.
JAKE LOCKER

Tebow who?

LOL!!!

Sorry.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him as a 9er, just as I was warming up to the idea of having Tebow in red and gold. Only, I wouldn't take Locker or Tebow in the 1st round. I'm sure they are both very coachable, but taking them later in the draft would lower a lot of expectations.....well maybe not in our case. I forgot how everyone wanted Nate Davis to start due to a few 4th quarter Preseason games.

Yeah I agree that Locker's career has been sketchy so far.. and I'll also admit that Im a huge homer by talking him up so much. I just really want him on the 9ers
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
JAKE LOCKER

Tebow who?

LOL!!!

Sorry.

Yeah I agree that Locker's career has been sketchy so far.. and I'll also admit that Im a huge homer by talking him up so much. I just really want him on the 9ers

The only way we take a QB in the 1st or 2nd round, which I project Locker in, and I repeat, is if Alex Smith flops on his ass this season. Until then, I'm afraid the coaching staff will be set with David Carr as the back up and Smith as the starter and their pet project in Nate Davis. But with this team almost built to take over the NFC, its hard seeing Smith fall on his ass, all he has to do is limit his mistakes and we'll be in the playoffs.
JAKE LOCKER

Tebow who?

LOL!!!

Sorry.

The only way we take a QB in the 1st or 2nd round, which I project Locker in, and I repeat, is if Alex Smith flops on his ass this season. Until then, I'm afraid the coaching staff will be set with David Carr as the back up and Smith as the starter and their pet project in Nate Davis. But with this team almost built to take over the NFC, its hard seeing Smith fall on his ass, all he has to do is limit his mistakes and we'll be in the playoffs.

I like Locker, but I'd rather not have this team flop and miss the playoffs yet again. My expectation as well as hope is that Alex leads us to the post-season and we don't have to waste a pick on a QB.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
JAKE LOCKER

Tebow who?

LOL!!!

Sorry.

I like Locker, but I'd rather not have this team flop and miss the playoffs yet again. My expectation as well as hope is that Alex leads us to the post-season and we don't have to waste a pick on a QB.

Yah I'd rather have a winning team than draft a favorite QB.
Share 49ersWebzone