Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Bout time we got some new draft info

Told you I was working on it.

As far as my focus for the 49ers, I think this upcoming year (some positions depending on performance), we'll need to take a strong look at Center, Receiver, Guard (based on Rachal's play), Corner, Nose Tackle and Pass-rusher.

The players I'm keying in on are:

1. NT Powe - Even if Franklin signs, we could use insurance in case of injury or a sudden decrease in production.
2. C Pouncey - Heitmann is a good player, but we should plan for the future. Pouncey can play guard as well.
3. CB Amukamura - Hands down the #1 CB in my mind at this point.
4. OLB V. Miller - Fierce speed rusher. Could add bulk, but still one of the best off the edge.
5. WR Greg Little - In the Hakeem Nicks mold, but may be even faster.
6. G Ijalana - Big man who can move, would keep our line massive but still athletic.
7. DE Clayborn - Just makes rapid jumps in improvement every year, set to be a monster.

Say we are drafting from 20-25ish who do you have projected in that range that we could use?

That's almost impossible to predict at this point, with the season not having even started yet. But, the safest bet to be in that range right now would probably be a guy like Pouncey and maybe Von Miller if his size pushes him down.

I know its hard to predict but I figured Pouncey would be safe in that range. Which guys do you think with a good season would be the top 10ish guys that would take a miracle to get...in other words who is just a cock tease?

Are we talking Seniors or all eligible players?

well if you have thoughts on both please share

As far as my focus for the 49ers, I think this upcoming year (some positions depending on performance), we'll need to take a strong look at Center, Receiver, Guard (based on Rachal's play), Corner, Nose Tackle and Pass-rusher.

1. NT Powe - Even if Franklin signs, we could use insurance in case of injury or a sudden decrease in production.
2. C Pouncey - Heitmann is a good player, but we should plan for the future. Pouncey can play guard as well.
4. OLB V. Miller - Fierce speed rusher. Could add bulk, but still one of the best off the edge.
6. G Ijalana - Big man who can move, would keep our line massive but still athletic.
7. DE Clayborn - Just makes rapid jumps in improvement every year, set to be a monster.

Say we are drafting from 20-25ish who do you have projected in that range that we could use?

That's almost impossible to predict at this point, with the season not having even started yet. But, the safest bet to be in that range right now would probably be a guy like Pouncey and maybe Von Miller if his size pushes him down.

I know its hard to predict but I figured Pouncey would be safe in that range. Which guys do you think with a good season would be the top 10ish guys that would take a miracle to get...in other words who is just a cock tease?

Among seniors, the guy who probably would be around a 10-25 pick would be Amukamura, but with a terrific year and combine, we'll have no chance at him. This probably goes for Von Miller too. If he puts on some weight and has a heck of a combine, he could go top 15.

Now among the others, you have to look towards the receivers and pass-rushers. A bad year can probably hurt them the most. It's hard to say right now, but we could be looking at a WR as the BPA come next April.

A few guys that could either make it to the 20's or be completely unreachable are WRs: 6-3 220 4.52 Michael Floyd, or 6-5 225 4.49 Johnathan Baldwin. Among some pass-rushers, Akeem Ayers is a name to remember. He showcases good coverage ability, but he'll need to up the sack numbers to prove he's a multi-dimensional threat.
Can Marvin Austin play NT in a 3-4?

Among seniors, the guy who probably would be around a 10-25 pick would be Amukamura, but with a terrific year and combine, we'll have no chance at him. This probably goes for Von Miller too. If he puts on some weight and has a heck of a combine, he could go top 15.

Now among the others, you have to look towards the receivers and pass-rushers. A bad year can probably hurt them the most. It's hard to say right now, but we could be looking at a WR as the BPA come next April.

A few guys that could either make it to the 20's or be completely unreachable are WRs: 6-3 220 4.52 Michael Floyd, or 6-5 225 4.49 Johnathan Baldwin. Among some pass-rushers, Akeem Ayers is a name to remember. He showcases good coverage ability, but he'll need to up the sack numbers to prove he's a multi-dimensional threat.

AB and I talk a lot about what will happen this year. We both are in agreement that if Alex and Chilo do work out fine it has the be the D. Clements should be traded, Franklin is a merc, Lawson, Brooks, and Haralson are big ?. So I agree that CB, NT and OLB are first priority and could be 2nd and 3rd as well. As of now I think CB has to be 1st on the list!! I am surprised that you have WR rated as a possibility...not happy with the current group?

AB and I talk a lot about what will happen this year. We both are in agreement that if Alex and Chilo do work out fine it has the be the D. Clements should be traded, Franklin is a merc, Lawson, Brooks, and Haralson are big ?. So I agree that CB, NT and OLB are first priority and could be 2nd and 3rd as well. As of now I think CB has to be 1st on the list!! I am surprised that you have WR rated as a possibility...not happy with the current group?

Aside from Crabtree, there's still a lot of uncertainty surrounding the rest. This year will tell a lot. Morgan has shown flashes of being a good receiver, as has Hill. But if neither showcase an ability to be a true complement to Crabtree, they will distinguish themselves as easily replaceable. They'll become players that we can easily look for an upgrade to.
Love the work OTC, as usual.

And yes myself and Jreff22 have been doing tons and tons of chatting about 2010 and beyond.

My personal faves are Powe, Amukamara, Pouncey, Miller, and Clayborn.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Is Stefan Wiez Steve's son? If so, I want him.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

And yes myself and Jreff22 have been doing tons and tons of chatting about 2010 and beyond.

Thanks, just about the same favorites as mine I see.

Originally posted by Nuns:

Steve is his uncle actually.
No Graig Cooper? I know he partially tore his ACL but he should be able to recover and is legit.

And Allen Bradford will be a top 5 RB, mark my words!

Way better RB then McKnight. My guess he is a 4.55 40. But the dude is a freaking beast! Watch how many yards he gains after contact, just keeps driving those legs
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jul 4, 2010 at 3:17 PM ]
good post. gotta keep an eye on those nose tackles

Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Thanks, just about the same favorites as mine I see.

Originally posted by Nuns:

Steve is his uncle actually.

Clayborn is my #1 pick. Amukamara plays CB...meaning, if he's any good he'll get overdrafted and won't be around. If we're still having to spend a first round pick on O-line we're in trouble. 4 1st rounders??? Pouncey is out. As for a NT, I can't see it working out. We will have to start the season with Franklin if we are seroius about the playoffs, and he'll be here through a fairly long-term contract. 1st round NT? Don't see it. Miller is a nice pick, but for some unexplained reason I feel good about our OLB position. Not sure why. Big Brooks fan, and am starting to warm up to this idea of PR by committee. Clayborne is a monster at a key position of need. Sopoaga is decent but nothing to write home about. Bringing a guy like Clayborne opposite of Smith with Franklin developing into a top tier NT, would give us an amazing D-line, and I personally buy into the D-line wins championships mentality. But that's just my $0.02
Thanks for officially kicking off 2011 prospect watching. Quick question about the speed in this upcoming CB prospects. This draft is loaded in CB, most have good size. What I'm wondering is their speed. That's still something we need, to cover players like Desean Jackson and Roddy White.

This past draft had no CB's running sub 4.4 at the NFL combine. Don't think that has happened in a long time. Can you list your top CB's with a guestimate on their speed and size?

Thanks again.
Hello there, folks. It's been quite a while since I've stopped in, but even though I've not posted here lately, I've seen been doing my off-season research as I compile some adjusted initial rankings for various prospect groups.

In this post, I'll be focusing only on Seniors. I hope you read that last sentence and/or the thread title, because I will not respond if you ask me why Mark Ingram, Ryan Mallett, Andrew Luck or any other non-senior aren't in the list.

Now, without further adue, the top Seniors for 2010-11.

OFFENSE

Quarterback:
1. Jake Locker, Washington
2. Christian Ponder, Florida St.
3. Jerrod Johnson, Texas A&M
4. Pat Devlin, Delaware
5. Colin Capernick, Nevada

Running back:
1. DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma
2. Evan Royster, Penn St.
3. Noel Devine, West Virginia
4. Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma St.
5. Daniel Thomas, Kansas St.

Tight End:
1. Weslye Saunders, South Carolina
2. Luke Stocker, Tennessee
3. D.J. Williams, Arkansas
4. Lance Kendricks, Wisconsin
5. Charlie Gantt, Michigan St.

Wide Receiver:
1. Greg Little, North Carolina
2. Austin Pettis, Boise St.
3. Ronald Johnson, USC
4. Leonard Hankerson, Miami
5. Terrance Toliver, LSU

Tackle:
1. Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin
2. Anthony Castonzo, Boston College
3. Nate Solder, Colorado
4. DeMarcus Love, Arkansas
5. Marcus Gilbert, Florida

Center:
1. Mike Pouncey, Florida
2. Stefen Wisniewski, Penn St.
3. Kris O'Dowd, USC
4. Kevin Kowalski, Toledo
5. Zane Taylor, Utah

Guard:
1. Rodney Hudson, Florida St.
2. John Moffit, Wisconsin
3. Benjamin Ijalana, Villanova
4. Marcus Cannon, TCU
5. Justin Boren, Ohio St.

DEFENSE

3-4 Defensive End:
1. Cameron Heyward, Ohio St.
2. Marvin Austin, North Carolina
3. Adrian Clayborn, Iowa
4. Allen Bailey, Miami
5. Jarvis Jenkins, Clemson

3-4 Nose Tackle:
1. Jerrell Powe, Mississippi
2. Stephen Paea, Oregon St.
3. Kendrick Ellis, Hampton
4. Phil Taylor, Baylor
5. Anthony Gray, Southern Miss

Inside Linebacker:
1. Greg Jones, Michigan St.
2. Kelvin Sheppard, LSU
3. Quan Sturdivant, North Carolina
4. Mike Mohamed, California
5. Nate Irving, N.C. State

3-4 OLB:
1. Von Miller, Texas A&M
2. Greg Romeus, Pittsburgh
3. Cliff Matthews, South Carolina
4. Jeremy Beal, Oklahoma
5. Sam Acho, Texas

Cornerback:
1. Prince Amukamura, Nebraska
2. Ras-I Dowling, Virginia
3. Curtis Brown, Texas
4. Rashad Carmichael, Virginia Tech
5. Chris Culliver, South Carolina

Free Safety:
1. Deunta Williams, North Carolina
2. Quinton Carter, Oklahoma
3. Jermale Hines, Ohio State
4. Tejay Johnson, TCU
5. Brian Lainhart, Kent State

Strong Safety:
1. DeAndre McDaniel, Clemson
2. Ahmad Black, Florida
3. Shiloh Keo, Idaho
4. Dom DeCicco, Pittsburgh
5. Jeron Johnson, Boise St.

Originally posted by kronik:
Thanks for officially kicking off 2011 prospect watching. Quick question about the speed in this upcoming CB prospects. This draft is loaded in CB, most have good size. What I'm wondering is their speed. That's still something we need, to cover players like Desean Jackson and Roddy White.

This past draft had no CB's running sub 4.4 at the NFL combine. Don't think that has happened in a long time. Can you list your top CB's with a guestimate on their speed and size?

Thanks again.

Keep in mind that these rankings can and probably will change slightly over the course of the season.

1. Prince Amukamura, Nebraska, 6-0 200 should clock around 4.50 flat.
2. Patrick Peterson, LSU, 6-0 211 * could clock in the low 4.4s
3. Ras-I Dowling, Virginia 6-1 200 should clock in the low 4.5s

40-times are often unpredictable, but one guy who could crack the 4.3s is Rashad Carmichael from Virginia Tech. Thing is, he's a smallish corner at probably only about 5-9 or 5-10 and around a 180 lb. frame.
Hi OTC...man, it's been a long time, huh?

You may have some additional info on these guys. Could you give them a "Singletary" grade. In other words, which one embodies work ethic, talent, physicality--they don't have to be saints?

These are my favs:

CB--Which fits our style of D best? This is a nice list.
Peterson
Amukamara
Williams
Dowling
Brown--Isn't he the fastest?

NT
Powe
Ellis
Taylor

DE/OLB
Von Miller
Crawford
Ayers (I really like him)
Robinson
Miller
Freeny

Can you see us taking two CBs in this draft?
Share 49ersWebzone