There are 115 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Would a rookie CB really make a difference this year?

I think we chose not to go after a rookie CB because he wouldn't contribute right away, it seems like CB is the position Sing wants veterans to occupie because so much can go wrong due to guessing, gambling, and not knowing exactly what to do.

We still have cuts after training camp, and a CB may come available in the next few months.

your thoughts?
CB is a major weakness on this team that wasn't addressed, so it certainly would have helped, from a long-term perspective, to add one this year, even if he, at best, would have been the nickel back. Would it have helped this year? Maybe, but probably not.
I think the coaches are happy--for now--with the starters, and they seem to think that Brown can step in at some point. I think it was just a situation where they liked players at other positions of need better than the available CBs and were willing to ride this year out and see what happens.

CB and NT will be the primary positions of need next offseason.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
CB is a major weakness on this team that wasn't addressed, so it certainly would have helped, from a long-term perspective, to add one this year, even if he, at best, would have been the nickel back. Would it have helped this year? Maybe, but probably not.
I think the coaches are happy--for now--with the starters, and they seem to think that Brown can step in at some point. I think it was just a situation where they liked players at other positions of need better than the available CBs and were willing to ride this year out and see what happens.

CB and NT will be the primary positions of need next offseason.

I have a feeling CB will be our first rnd pick next year, Nate will probably be traded.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
CB is a major weakness on this team that wasn't addressed, so it certainly would have helped, from a long-term perspective, to add one this year, even if he, at best, would have been the nickel back. Would it have helped this year? Maybe, but probably not.
I think the coaches are happy--for now--with the starters, and they seem to think that Brown can step in at some point. I think it was just a situation where they liked players at other positions of need better than the available CBs and were willing to ride this year out and see what happens.

CB and NT will be the primary positions of need next offseason.

Agree
In 1981 we had three rookie backfield players start for us. So yes a rookie CB can really make a difference for us each year depending upon their quality. With Spencer And Clements starting for us it would be a lesser issue but quality is quality. The more quality players the better even if rookies.
Adams will make big strides once we get rid of Keith Smith
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Adams will make big strides once we get rid of Keith Smith

You have alot of faith in a 7th rounder from a small school. PS material.
To be honest, I think Patrick Stoudamire has a chance to surprise us and make the team. Kid could be a sleeper.
Both Adams and Stoudamire will be given an opportunity to show what they can do. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if they brought Walt Harris back for camp, either.

With Clements, Spencer, and Brown, and then adding Paymah and James plus the rooks, the 49ers should be OK for corners. But I agree that it'll be a priority position in next year's draft.
wish we kept Bly around he made some good plays for us. Except the game against atlanta, but even then he had a pick.
Personally, I like that we keep going after veterans. Sure, I'd love to have some younger players with more upside, but avoiding the perils of the learning curve is a bit of an underrated luxery, especially considering that CB tends to be a particulary difficult position to evaluate.

It appears that our personnel team likes to grab the vets and take risks with later draft picks, giving them time to develop. Tarell Brown entered his final season as a potential 1st round pick, but slipped. I'd consider that a pretty solid pick, even if he's never more than our nickel or even #4.

Of the rookies... Phillip Adams is physical, press corner with good ball skills. He only played in 7 games as a senior, which hurt his draft value, but he still posted an impressive Pro Day. Patrick Stoudamire is an interesting guy also. He's a converted basketball player that had a lot of success in college. He was rated as one of the top players not invited to the Combine. He also really impressed scouts at the East-West Shrine game/practices. Tramaine Brock was a standout FS at Minnesota before transfering to Belhaven, due to academic reasons. He was considered a "draftable" prospect prior to leaving Minn.

I'm not trying to hype the rookies up because the odds are certainly not in their favor. However, while we experiment with guys in hopes of hitting it big like we did with D. Goldson, I think it's benificial to have some experienced players out on the field.
I think young CB can contribute in their year, its been done before on the niners.
Remember Lott and Wright then Griffin and McKyer? But this year the target was OL.
Next year if the draft is deep they may do at CB what they did at OL draft two players at one time.

R. Moore of UCLA might be next years version of lot-move from saftey to CB, but he will probably be long gone by our pick.
Originally posted by Yetiman:
Both Adams and Stoudamire will be given an opportunity to show what they can do. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if they brought Walt Harris back for camp, either.

With Clements, Spencer, and Brown, and then adding Paymah and James plus the rooks, the 49ers should be OK for corners. But I agree that it'll be a priority position in next year's draft.

27-Patrick Stoudamire: Undrafted rookie from Western Illinois saw third-team action at left cornerback. He showed good speed to turn and run with Josh Morgan on a deep incomplete pass on first day of OTAs. He broke up another pass for Morgan on Thursday.


35-Phillip Adams: He got a lot of practice time as the No. 2 left cornerback. Recorded an interception on the first day in 7-on-7 when he latched onto a high Alex Smith pass that glanced off Ted Ginn's hands. On Wednesday, he lined up with the second-team defense as the slot corner behind Brown. He saw action as the No. 3 slot cornerback when the 49ers went to their nickel defense.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/05/21/10/Maiocco-Player-by-player-Defensive-Revie/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=238922&feedID=5936
Hope one of the rookies surprise us!
Originally posted by WildBill:
I think young CB can contribute in their year, its been done before on the niners.
Remember Lott and Wright then Griffin and McKyer? But this year the target was OL.
Next year if the draft is deep they may do at CB what they did at OL draft two players at one time.

R. Moore of UCLA might be next years version of lot-move from saftey to CB, but he will probably be long gone by our pick.

Griffin and McKyer were in that famous Class of '86... Griffin ended up being the better pro of the two even though he was drafted in the sixth round. Made a couple of Pro Bowls if I remember correctly. If any of the Niners lower round draft picks or FA signings can even make the team or the practice squad, I'd consider it good work by Baalke and his staff.
[ Edited by nw9erfan on May 25, 2010 at 11:47 PM ]