LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 245 users in the forums

Best and worst from the 2010 draft class

• DVDA
  • Veteran
Who do you think will succeed and fail from the 2010 draft class?

I think Sam Bradford will fail with the Rams. He is going to a team with arguably less talent than the 49ers of 2005. He will be thrust into the starting line-up too soon and will be destined for failure. He may end up succeeding later in his career with another team, but I believe his career will turn out similar to Alex Smith's.

I think Brandon Graham will turn out to be one of the best players from this draft. He is short, but he is a beasty pass rusher with great strength. He is in a great situation with the Eagles who know how to utilize undersized defensive ends. Their aggressive philosophy on defense is a perfect fit for him in my opinion.

[ Edited by 23zack80 on May 11, 2010 at 00:34:50 ]
  • Tman
  • Veteran
I believe dez bryant is going to be a bust

I believe Taylor Mays is going to be a beast
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Worst:

Sam Bradford
Trent Williams
Tyson Alualu

Best:

Eric Berry
Mike Iupati
Suh/McCoy
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Best:

Anthony Davis
Mike Iupati
Taylor Mays

Worst:

Russell Okung
Earl Thomas
Sam Bradford
Dan Williams

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Best:

Anthony Davis
Mike Iupati
Taylor Mays

Worst:

Russell Okung
Earl Thomas
Sam Bradford
Dan Williams

I like I like.
worst
Jimmy Clausen

Best
everybody the niners drafted
Value of the pick considered...

Worst:

Tyson Aluala
CJ Spiller
Joe Haden
Trent Williams

Best:

Eric Berry
Gerald McCoy
Earl Thomas
Charles Brown
Mardy Gilyard
Damien Williams
Carlton Mitchell
Perish Cox

[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on May 9, 2010 at 13:32:31 ]
Best Picks:
-Jimmy Claussen
-Jason Pierre-Paul
-Brian Bulaga
-Dez Bryant
-Dan Williams
-Jared Odrick
-Jerry Hughes
-Morgan Burnett
-Sergio Kindle
-Daryl Washington
-Carlos Dunlap
-Navarro Bowman
-Anthony Dixon
-Charles Brown
-Reshad Jones
-Brandon LaFell
-Mike Iupati
-Brian Price
-Kyle Wilson
-Nate Allen
-Golden Tate
-Brandon Spikes
-Chad Jones
-Eric Decker
-Mardy Gilyard
-Correy Wooten
-Joe McKnight
-Eric Norwood
-Jason Fox
-Greg Hardy
-Kyle Calloway
-Mt. Cody

WTF picks???
-Tebow
-Alualu
-Kareem Jackson (just too much talent still on the board)
-Koa Misi (better OLB prospects available)
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
WTF were the Broncos thinking when they selected Tebow. I swear Tebow just straight sweet talked his way into the 1st round, and they just traded for Brady Quinn.

Kyle Orton, Brady Quinn, Tim Tebow.....Do the Broncos think they can keep all three of them?? I could see if Tebow was drafted in the 3rd.
Bradford is in a WAAAAYYYYYY better situation than what Smith had his rookie year

Bradford has Jason Smith AND the kid that the Rams picked in the top of the Second Round from Indiana. Thats 2 Bookend Tackles to protect Bradford's growing pains (although JSmith is still unproven because of injuries, and the new OT is a question mark) they are way better than what we had protecting Smith that is for damn sure. And Bradford has Stephen Freaking Jackson. ASmith had Kevan Barlow. I give the Rams 3 years to challenge for the division (hell even 2, if their last two drafts turn it on).

• DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Bradford is in a WAAAAYYYYYY better situation than what Smith had his rookie year

Bradford has Jason Smith AND the kid that the Rams picked in the top of the Second Round from Indiana. Thats 2 Bookend Tackles to protect Bradford's growing pains (although JSmith is still unproven because of injuries, and the new OT is a question mark) they are way better than what we had protecting Smith that is for damn sure. And Bradford has Stephen Freaking Jackson. ASmith had Kevan Barlow. I give the Rams 3 years to challenge for the division (hell even 2, if their last two drafts turn it on).

So what you're saying is it's a good situation when you have two unproven players at each tackle position? Steven jackson is a beast, but he is the only good player on that offense. Good teams will shut him down and force the Rams to throw the ball to someone other than Jackson.

The Ram's o-line is projection, and may look good on paper, but is completely unproven. Alex Smith's rookie year o-line was horrific in retrospect, but lets examine how it was perceived in the offseason leading to the season.

LT- Jonas Jennings had just signed a huge contract and expectations where through the roof. Even though he had a history of injuries, noone expected him to accumulate 6 healthy games in a span of 4 years. Easily more to get excited about here than Roger Saffold (the 2nd round pick you are referring to).

LG - David Baas was just picked up in the 2nd round, and once again the expectations were through the roof. He was a big, freakishly strong, and somewhat versatile interior lineman who had a very successful college career. Any time a guard is the 33rd pick in the draft, the expectation is for him to be a 10 year starter, and a potential pro bowler. Same draft spot as Saffold, and arguably even higher expecations

C - Jeremy Newberry is a pro bowler, who was expected to come back healthy from injury. In retrospect we know that he never made a legitimate comeback, but at the time our expectation at C was a pro bowler.

RG - Justin Smiley is was yet another 2nd round OG, who had an even more impressive college career than Baas. He was a 2nd year player, and was by all means expected to be a very good starter at OG. (See Baas, David for expectations from 2nd round OGs).

RT - Kwame Harris also got fans excited. Even though the 1st round draft pick didn't have a great rookie season, the thought of him being a 2nd year player, and moving to his more natural RT spot was very inspiring. Very similar to Jason Smith actually--a 1st round pick who hadn't done anything in his 1st year, and was now facing high expectations in his 2nd year due to potential. Granted he wasn't the 2nd overall pick, but regardless, the situation is very similar.

At WR there isn't a starting caliber player between either of these teams. Actually, that's slightly untrue. Bradford has Avery (who is OK at best at this point of his career), and Smith had Eric Johnson, who actually had a good season the year before. Neither one has/had a receiving unit to write home about.

The one advantage Bradford has is Steven Jackson, but if you remember, at the start of '05, we were all ecstatic about Barlow. It wasn't until half way through the season that we realized he's trash.

So even though you can write up how good of a situation Bradford has on paper right now, the truth is, this was also the case for Smith in '05. The main difference--Bradford is a much better prospect than Smith ever was.
Originally posted by 23zack80:

So what you're saying is it's a good situation when you have two unproven players at each tackle position? Steven jackson is a beast, but he is the only good player on that offense. Good teams will shut him down and force the Rams to throw the ball to someone other than Jackson.

Well lets see you have a top 3 choice a LT that was hurt last year, and a highly regarder OT in the 2nd round. Compare that to Jonas Jennings (where he never saw the field, and who was our RT? Kwayme? LOL!!!!!!! Id much rather have the abilities of those 2 tackles the Rams have, than to what we had.

And your argument about good teams will shut Jackson down....well, the Rams were at their worst last year, and teams still couldnt shut Jackson down. 1400 yards Rushing alone proves that. Yeah I'd say Bradford is in a WAAAAAAYYYYY better situation than Alex was in.
Originally posted by 23zack80:

Well lets see you have a top 3 choice a LT that was hurt last year, and a highly regarder OT in the 2nd round. Compare that to Jonas Jennings (where he never saw the field, and who was our RT? Kwayme? LOL!!!!!!! Id much rather have the abilities of those 2 tackles the Rams have, than to what we had.

And your argument about good teams will shut Jackson down....well, the Rams were at their worst last year, and teams still couldnt shut Jackson down. 1400 yards Rushing alone proves that. Yeah I'd say Bradford is in a WAAAAAAYYYYY better situation than Alex was in.

Once again, as my post above describes, you are judging the Rams on "potential" and judging the '05 niners in hindsight. I still believe that before the '05 season started Jonas Jennings and Kwame Harris (as well as all 3 interior positions) looked very good on paper.
Share 49ersWebzone