There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Did you predict baalke would go OT/Iupati as #1 and #2?

Did you predict baalke would go OT/Iupati as #1 and #2?

I did in AB's First Webzone Mock Draft...though I had Iupati picked at 13 and Davis had been picked at the Raiders spot, so I picked up trent williams at 17 instead...

We needed to refurbish our OL b/c we have the skill players, need the line to allow them to play at their best
Kolohe, you speak truth, brother. There is no guarantee that AD and Iupati are gonna have breakout yrs, and the D'Brickshaw example is a case in point. Honestly we will be lucky if both our OLs do well this yr, but i am hoping for them coming of age around 6th game, maybe as late as midseason. To expect them to pick it up from the gitgo is foolish, and we all forget that. Oddly, i expect Iupati to be humming before AD, and i hope they both can adjust to the faster , bigger, meaner, smarter pro defenders in time to salvage our season. Unsaid is still the problem at Center, but i hope between baas, heitmann, wrags, snyder, wallace, that one of them could step up for crying out loud. Also , and this is a big IF, Chilo has to get untracked and unlearn whatever it was that Foerster did to him last yr, when he definitely went backwards.

I guess in retrospect, hoping for our dazzling OL immediately is foolish, and we all should be prepared for a bunch of false quick starts and stops.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
I know I said thats what I wanted......but I don't think I predicted that's what the 9ers would do.
In short, no.

I did forecast 650 pounds of Round 1 talent, but only identified half ot it (OT Davis) ciorectly. I thought that the other half would be help for the defense in the person of NT Dan Williams, not OG Iupati.

Since Arizona ended-up taking NT Williams, I look forward to a decade of Iupati vs Williams tussles, once both eventually settle-in as starters.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
I predicted Davis at #13 and Iupati at #17.. See below (page 2)

[http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=140746&page=1]

NinerTico and PaulHofer picked Davis and Iupati as well as Bynum
Thanks for the mention Dave.
My Picks

[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on May 3, 2010 at 12:28:54 ]
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

My Picks

Got to call it like you see it...That is some pretty good pickin'. Better than most, including the hard core draftniks
This draft had so many secenarios.

I thought it was one of three that the niners would go to. I didn't know if it was scenario 1, 2, or 3.

The other scenarios I thought was
Haden and Davis
Earl thomas and Davis

I didn't expect Baluga to be taken for one of two reasons, he had no upside according to scouts and also figured he was gonna be already taken.

Also didn't expect us to trade up for Davis. Before and during the draft. Especially during since Baluga was still there. I guess they really zeroed in on Davis.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Kolohe, i undestand that many on this board wanted a S, RB, CB, NT, OLb, or whatever. YOu are like many others who obviously thot similarly. It still goes back to building the OL before you do anything else. I've said before that every player on both D and O will now be better because of cementing our OL, i hope, for a very long time. This presupposes that between heitmann=baas=snyder=rags, we can get just one measly guy(incl wallace)to play the C position, and not make a mockery out of the rest of the line. I think that will work out, but have no idea who it might be. Also one or two of those guys are going adios.

But even tho i believe baalke actually signed onto taking an OT/OG prior to draft, it still took some stones to actually do it. Mentioned before, it has only happened twice in 1st rd since 1970...so it was a gutcheck for baalke. It also really made me appreciate the guy, because without saying it, he definitely subscribes to LINES 1st. The one piece of great news was the signing of Ginn pre draft, because that eliminated that hotshot KR/PR/WR that we badly needed. ONe draft does not a career make, but based on picks 1,2 and 3, i really think we got our guy in baalke.

I think we have been set back terribly by failing to set the OL...until now. I posted often last season, and some 2 seasons ago, until we set our OL we weren't going anywhere. Every season we failed to build the OL, we stayed static. We are headed for a significantly better yr than we have had in the last dozen, this season. No guesses, but this is going to be a very good team, all by virtue of baalke hanging it out there and getting an OL in place. We have had zero luck with OL draftpicks that weren't in first rd, and if you don't believe that look at what baas/snyder/heitmann/rags DIDN'T do. In a nutshell, i knew we had to pick an OT plus iupati, because anything less and we would just have more of the same this yr as last. It is nice our HC and baalke thot the same. They couldn't have passed on Suh or McCoy, but there was no way we were going to get near them.

One last thing: can you imagine Iupati as pulling , coming full steam around an end? Man, that guy will give some DEs , CBs and safeties some bonafide nightmares.

Finally, the odd pickup of Sims is going to be a very significant part of our success. It is apparent he can play(i was wrong about him), and it gives us insurance of a guy who can start, vs the other 4 guys mentioned above. One of those jokers or wallace is going to have to produce this yr, and i feel it will happen, because regardless of who is at C, he will have some quality players on either side of him. Rachal is going to do well now that foerster is gone, and solari/ray brown are going to make all the difference in the world...esp with rachal.

Sing it!! (no pun intended)

If Baaalke hit on the 2 linemen, which statistically is very possible, the FO will be very happy to give the GM job to Baalke, and he and Singletary then become tied to each other. Surely Baalke has some gratitude for Singletary backing him, if not urging him, to take the 2 linemen.

This could be another pivotal turning point in Niner history unfolding before our very eyes. Or it could turn out to be nothing more than more mediocrity.

I am curiously optimistic though, and I really like the direction the team is headed.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

My Picks

Got to call it like you see it...That is some pretty good pickin'. Better than most, including the hard core draftniks

Yea man, thanks!
Actually, I did...it was probably as much hope as a prediction, but it was exactly what I wanted them to do. I knew AD was Singletary's guy when he spent so much time with him in Santa Clara. I wasn't as sure about Iupati, but basically said either him or Pouncey to really make an OL upgrade/statement. I'm thrilled with our two big guys...
yes
The offensive tackle's name is Anthony Davis. FAIL!
I said they'd go OT with the first pick (and would choose Davis if he was available), but didn't think Davis would be available and definitely didn't think they'd go OT/OG with those first 2 picks.
i didnt know what olinemen baalke would first choose. but i thought it would be iupati with the 2nd pick if he was available.

I was fished in when he said right before the draft the old Mcloughan mantra of "best player available", when asked if they will draft based upon need.

I think he was just saying that to throw anyone off the trail on what they were really thinking....draft based upon need.