LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Did you predict baalke would go OT/Iupati as #1 and #2?

Did you predict baalke would go OT/Iupati as #1 and #2?

No, I didn't predict it - I only hoped he would.
I predicted Davis at #13 and Iupati at #17.. See below (page 2)

[http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=140746&page=1]

NinerTico and PaulHofer picked Davis and Iupati as well as Bynum
Yes, but didn't think Davis would make it to our pick.
It is amazing this many guys thot this, because pre draft, i could get nothing but the razzmatazz for taking OT/Upoti. Granted only a hundred or so guys voted, and there are a ton of guys on the webzone. But still, it is incredible that we actually did it. My prediction was that without a professional OL we weren't going anywhere. I'm glad spiller et al were off the board by #11, but deep down, i really believe that was the guy baalke wanted all along, and he felt the same about upoti. That to me is nothing if not terrific news for 9er fans, because after a long 12 yr drought, we finally have someone who knows talent that also knows how to build a team...lines first.

I posted before this would make our TEs,WRs,RBs, QBs, and the rest of the OL one helluva lot better, but what i didn't mention was, 2 starting OLs are going to make our D a lot better also. D isn't going to have to carry us for 40 mins/game. They are finally going to get a break and get some well deserved rest. A rested p-52 is not somebody you want tackling you. I think the entire D does better by virtue of Davis/iupati. And, more importantly, i believe baalke thot the same thing. We'll never know, but had spiller et al still been available, i still think it was Davis/poti for baalke.

Sometime it would be interesting to know if that was his goal regardless of who was there. Obviously he couldn't have passed on Suh and McCoy, but no one in the building thot those guys wouldn't go 2-3, which they did. Aside from them, my money was on baalke getting his two OLs no matter what. (Okung was gonna be gone, too. To have gotten him we would have had to burn our #13 and a high pick next yr.) As it turned out, many actually liked AD better than Okung, but i really didn't care one way or the other. AD was better than Baluga, and definitely better than USC's Brown(?), who went way later.
I didn't predict it, but I did hope for it.
I have to admit that with both AD and Bualga still there at 11, that I thought all we had to do was wait till #13 and pick one or the other...so I was perturbed when Baalke decided to go up to 11 and gave up our 4th rounder. But they said they wanted to insure they they got their man ,so in retrospect, so be it. It seems many teams did not have as high a grade on Bulaga as was thought on pre-draft boards, or some teams woulda traded up for before Greenbay....I'm happy, the OT should be fine going forward now. Sure glad Denver's OT/Glady did not blow out his leg before the draft as Denver might have wanted AD for their own.

[ Edited by highway49 on May 2, 2010 at 10:25:19 ]
I predicted the Iupati pick at #17. I thought we were going to get Earl Thomas or CJ Spiller at #13.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
The question is did you predict baalke would go OT/Upoti with our first two picks, and did you make the prediction on the webzone?

I didn't predict it or make that prediction on the WZ. But the players I thought we might take were not there at 11/13 or 17. I figured we'd get a tackle and a DB (either Haden or Thomas) in the 1st.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
No I thought Baalke would go Brandon Graham and Bulaga. As much as I like Iupati, it was hard seeing the 9ers take him at #17. I honestly thought we were gonna wait and take John Jerry in the later rounds, meaning 2nd or 3rd.
I figured we would go OT at 13 unless Haden had fallen. At 17 I figured OLB/DB depending on if what we had got at 13.

Most of us figured one way or another Davis/Williams/Bulaga would be on the team.

Didn't predict it but definitely wanted it!
Many guys had elaborate draft packs, which is way beyond me. Also our luck in later rounds has been poor for last 12 yrs( FRank is exception in 3rd, and there are a couple others). Point is this team has basicallly lived or died based on its first and second picks; I predicted we take OT(wasn't sure who they really wanted, or could get, eg Okung) because our horribly glaring swiss cheeze OL was the joke of the league... who ran 8-10 men in the box because they knew we couldn't make 2 yds on 3rd and 2 , and also because they could blitz at will on our hapless qBs. To me it was pretty simple. We had to build the OL, and those 2 picks were critical, even tho it has only been done twice before in nfl(going back to 1970).

The fascinating thing to me was that so many guys on the zone were happy with one OL pick, and then had eyes on RB, S, CB, DT/NT, OLB, WR, etc. That never made sense to me, because of the old adage, which is true, "build the lines first"...and we hadn't done that since Walsh and Bob McKittrick.

Good Stuff
Kolohe, i undestand that many on this board wanted a S, RB, CB, NT, OLb, or whatever. YOu are like many others who obviously thot similarly. It still goes back to building the OL before you do anything else. I've said before that every player on both D and O will now be better because of cementing our OL, i hope, for a very long time. This presupposes that between heitmann=baas=snyder=rags, we can get just one measly guy(incl wallace)to play the C position, and not make a mockery out of the rest of the line. I think that will work out, but have no idea who it might be. Also one or two of those guys are going adios.

But even tho i believe baalke actually signed onto taking an OT/OG prior to draft, it still took some stones to actually do it. Mentioned before, it has only happened twice in 1st rd since 1970...so it was a gutcheck for baalke. It also really made me appreciate the guy, because without saying it, he definitely subscribes to LINES 1st. The one piece of great news was the signing of Ginn pre draft, because that eliminated that hotshot KR/PR/WR that we badly needed. ONe draft does not a career make, but based on picks 1,2 and 3, i really think we got our guy in baalke.

I think we have been set back terribly by failing to set the OL...until now. I posted often last season, and some 2 seasons ago, until we set our OL we weren't going anywhere. Every season we failed to build the OL, we stayed static. We are headed for a significantly better yr than we have had in the last dozen, this season. No guesses, but this is going to be a very good team, all by virtue of baalke hanging it out there and getting an OL in place. We have had zero luck with OL draftpicks that weren't in first rd, and if you don't believe that look at what baas/snyder/heitmann/rags DIDN'T do. In a nutshell, i knew we had to pick an OT plus iupati, because anything less and we would just have more of the same this yr as last. It is nice our HC and baalke thot the same. They couldn't have passed on Suh or McCoy, but there was no way we were going to get near them.

One last thing: can you imagine Iupati as pulling , coming full steam around an end? Man, that guy will give some DEs , CBs and safeties some bonafide nightmares.

Finally, the odd pickup of Sims is going to be a very significant part of our success. It is apparent he can play(i was wrong about him), and it gives us insurance of a guy who can start, vs the other 4 guys mentioned above. One of those jokers or wallace is going to have to produce this yr, and i feel it will happen, because regardless of who is at C, he will have some quality players on either side of him. Rachal is going to do well now that foerster is gone, and solari/ray brown are going to make all the difference in the world...esp with rachal.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Kolohe, i undestand that many on this board wanted a S, RB, CB, NT, OLb, or whatever. YOu are like many others who obviously thot similarly. It still goes back to building the OL before you do anything else. I've said before that every player on both D and O will now be better because of cementing our OL, i hope, for a very long time. This presupposes that between heitmann=baas=snyder=rags, we can get just one measly guy(incl wallace)to play the C position, and not make a mockery out of the rest of the line. I think that will work out, but have no idea who it might be. Also one or two of those guys are going adios.

But even tho i believe baalke actually signed onto taking an OT/OG prior to draft, it still took some stones to actually do it. Mentioned before, it has only happened twice in 1st rd since 1970...so it was a gutcheck for baalke. It also really made me appreciate the guy, because without saying it, he definitely subscribes to LINES 1st. The one piece of great news was the signing of Ginn pre draft, because that eliminated that hotshot KR/PR/WR that we badly needed. ONe draft does not a career make, but based on picks 1,2 and 3, i really think we got our guy in baalke.

I think we have been set back terribly by failing to set the OL...until now. I posted often last season, and some 2 seasons ago, until we set our OL we weren't going anywhere. Every season we failed to build the OL, we stayed static. We are headed for a significantly better yr than we have had in the last dozen, this season. No guesses, but this is going to be a very good team, all by virtue of baalke hanging it out there and getting an OL in place. We have had zero luck with OL draftpicks that weren't in first rd, and if you don't believe that look at what baas/snyder/heitmann/rags DIDN'T do. In a nutshell, i knew we had to pick an OT plus iupati, because anything less and we would just have more of the same this yr as last. It is nice our HC and baalke thot the same. They couldn't have passed on Suh or McCoy, but there was no way we were going to get near them.

One last thing: can you imagine Iupati as pulling , coming full steam around an end? Man, that guy will give some DEs , CBs and safeties some bonafide nightmares.

Finally, the odd pickup of Sims is going to be a very significant part of our success. It is apparent he can play(i was wrong about him), and it gives us insurance of a guy who can start, vs the other 4 guys mentioned above. One of those jokers or wallace is going to have to produce this yr, and i feel it will happen, because regardless of who is at C, he will have some quality players on either side of him. Rachal is going to do well now that foerster is gone, and solari/ray brown are going to make all the difference in the world...esp with rachal.

Yeah I have to agree with you to, Baalke should get the job, so far hes had a good start. I just didn't think he would pull the trigger on two O-lineman in the 1st. But we're not outta the woods yet, we gotta see if their college play will translate to the Pro's, remember, even top picks like D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Eugene Monroe struggled in their first season as starters. So we better hope Davis and Iupati catch on quick if this is gonna be our year to make it in the playoffs.
Yes, but someone erased my post.
Share 49ersWebzone