There are 67 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alternate Draft Scenarios

Originally posted by krizay:
keep the 4th. dont trade down in the 3rd

davis
Iupati
Burnett
gilyard, shipley or andre roberts
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
Carlton Mitchell
Danny Batten
Jamar Chaney
Dexter Davis

The #11 pick was for sale. Which means somebody else could have jumped in there and leap frogged us and got Davis. He was one of the highest rated guys left. Trading a 4th to insure getting him was hardly terrible. Especially if he turns out well.
Considering how the board fell I'm happy with our draft but personally I wish the draft went like this Spiller, Davis then move up and get Ducasse. It's a copycat league and that draft would give us weapons similiar to the Saints and a o line similiar to the Saints. Still don't have Drew Brees.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on May 6, 2010 at 11:59:52 ]
  • Pintor73
  • Info N/A
i liked our draft with luapati replacing baas, davis replacing snyder,mays replacing lewis novarrow replacing spikes, bynum blocking te we didnt have last year (anthony dixon) a real punishing running back for goal line situations or short yardage and williams kr pr possibly slot reciever so i see all of our draft picks making the team great job 49ers staff traded our 4th to get the player we wanted and our 5th for ginn great job
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
now for myself, I would keep the draft the way it is almost 100%.

13- Anthony Davis
17- Mike Iupati
49- Taylor Mays
91- Navorro Bowman
4th- Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
6th- Nate Byham
6th- Anthony Dixon
6th- Kyle Williams
7th- Not sure, really doesnt matter much, most 7th rd picks dont make it.

Of course their is the exception, examples: Brian Jennings, Eric Heitmann and Kyle Kosier.

Those 3, are really the best players Donahue ever drafted! Amazing I know!!!
Im happy with our draft for the most part. Like many of you, I didn't think we needed to trade up in the first for A. Davis and give away our 4th rounder. We couldve drafted a solid nickelback, corner. Oh well.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Im happy with our draft for the most part. Like many of you, I didn't think we needed to trade up in the first for A. Davis and give away our 4th rounder. We couldve drafted a solid nickelback, corner. Oh well.

The two teams in front of us wanted to trade there picks(they did) and we were worried that davis who according to the niners had the biggest upside of any tackle would be taken by someone else. Which might have happened had we not traded up. Our biggest need without a shadow of a doubt was left tackle. Buluga fell to 24...
These are all facts, everything esle is conjecture.
  • roylikeswaffles
  • Info N/A
I think it would've been better to trade our 3rd round pick for a 2nd next year instead of taking Bowman...I think he's either going to be either very good or end up like Balmer. With an extra 2nd in addition to the 4th we got, it would be easier to trade up next year to get an elite player like Patrick Peterson.
I was expecting us to pick Terrance "Mount" Cody in the 2nd round over Taylor Mays.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Can you put Davis at 13 assuming you aren't trading down? I don't think that it should work that way.

There's nothing to suggest that he wouldn't have been there at 13. The Dolphins were trading out no matter what. The Cowboys didn't want Davis. The Packers could and would have traded ahead of us knowing we were probably gonna take Davis, so if they wanted him they could have had him. They obviously didn't.

I firmly believe he would have been there at 13. Just because we traded up doesn't mean Baalke and Jed knew it had to be done, they just made a "rookie" mistake.
Taylor Mays, in hindsight, didn't get into a serious car accident. Same thinking goes for the above post. You will never know.
Originally posted by Nuns:
Taylor Mays, in hindsight, didn't get into a serious car accident. Same thinking goes for the above post. You will never know.

Exactly. So why isn't it fair to assume we could have landed him without trading up? People act like another team was definitely going to snatch him up, when in reality, we'll never know. There is plenty to suggest he would have been there 2 slots later, though. The assumption is fair to anyone who doesn't just believe everything the Niners do is the right thing no matter what.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by krizay:
keep the 4th. dont trade down in the 3rd

davis
Iupati
Burnett
gilyard, shipley or andre roberts
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
Carlton Mitchell
Danny Batten
Jamar Chaney
Dexter Davis

The #11 pick was for sale. Which means somebody else could have jumped in there and leap frogged us and got Davis. He was one of the highest rated guys left. Trading a 4th to insure getting him was hardly terrible. Especially if he turns out well.

Thank you SD...I completely agree...
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Nuns:
Taylor Mays, in hindsight, didn't get into a serious car accident. Same thinking goes for the above post. You will never know.

Exactly. So why isn't it fair to assume we could have landed him without trading up? People act like another team was definitely going to snatch him up, when in reality, we'll never know. There is plenty to suggest he would have been there 2 slots later, though. The assumption is fair to anyone who doesn't just believe everything the Niners do is the right thing no matter what.

Now I'm assuming, but they must have NOT liked Bulaga.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Can you put Davis at 13 assuming you aren't trading down? I don't think that it should work that way.

There's nothing to suggest that he wouldn't have been there at 13. The Dolphins were trading out no matter what. The Cowboys didn't want Davis. The Packers could and would have traded ahead of us knowing we were probably gonna take Davis, so if they wanted him they could have had him. They obviously didn't.

I firmly believe he would have been there at 13. Just because we traded up doesn't mean Baalke and Jed knew it had to be done, they just made a "rookie" mistake.

Well, you can believe that and you may be right. Or wrong, of course. Like 2005 when we wanted Logan Mankins and ended up with David Baas. Personally, I would have taken a chance with most other picks, but this one was too important.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Can you put Davis at 13 assuming you aren't trading down? I don't think that it should work that way.

There's nothing to suggest that he wouldn't have been there at 13. The Dolphins were trading out no matter what. The Cowboys didn't want Davis. The Packers could and would have traded ahead of us knowing we were probably gonna take Davis, so if they wanted him they could have had him. They obviously didn't.

I firmly believe he would have been there at 13. Just because we traded up doesn't mean Baalke and Jed knew it had to be done, they just made a "rookie" mistake.

We don't know that the Packers didn't call other teams and looked to move up, they could have and it just wasn't known. It's also possible the 49ers feared the Steelers jumping ahead of us as well.
...