There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Top Five Players at their Position for 2011: Pre-Season Picks

• jame-gumb
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I know it gets touchy when you can only include five in a top 5 list, because someone has to get left out. Williams might actually be one of the top safety prospects.

Some speculate he might be even better as a safety in the NFL. Aaron Williams that is. Brown is another close one, for sure in the top 8, but not quite in my top 5.

It's still very much about opinion at this point. As I said, Curtis Brown is fringe at best. I just happen to think Aaron Williams is the second-best CB in college football right now. I don't see him having to move to safety...at least, not yet. Watch him a bit this year and I think you'll change your mind on him.
Ras -I Dowling is from Virginia, not West Virginia.

And I believe Ryan Williams from VT can be a top 5 back this year as well.

[ Edited by Fincham11 on Apr 29, 2010 at 13:56:33 ]
All I have to say is thank goodness we went OL this year b/c next years group looks suspect (except Carimi).

Looks like it'll be the year of the RB, CB, and WR, b/c all of those guys in your top 5 could go 1st round, at least at this point in time...
Jerrell Powe and Prince Amukamara are the two players that I would love for the Niners.

Von Miller would be good too.
Originally posted by Fincham11:
Ras -I Dowling is from Virginia, not West Virginia.

And I believe Ryan Williams from VT can be a top 5 back this year as well.

Thanks for the catch. Fixed.
The way that I see it, unless something changes by way of some one emerging, I think that we are three positions away from being competitive. We need a good young corner, a dominate pass rusher, and a very good QB(fingers crossed on Alex). I also see center and NT as positons that will need attention very soon. Sure it all will depend on how we perform this year and where we pick in the draft next spring, but I am pretty confident that most of these area's will still be needs.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
The way that I see it, unless something changes by way of some one emerging, I think that we are three positions away from being competitive. We need a good young corner, a dominant pass rusher, and a very good QB(fingers crossed on Alex). I also see center and NT as positons that will need attention very soon. Sure it all will depend on how we perform this year and where we pick in the draft next spring, but I am pretty confident that most of these area's will still be needs.

Dominant players at NT, OLB, and CB will get you far.

We lacked speed in our receivers, we added that. What we still lack on offense is a speed back. But, considering it seems we simply want to be strictly a power team with only a power rushing attack, that's not a big deal.

Next year, depth-wise, we'll still likely need OL successors/replacements for Snyder, Wragge, and Sims. Boone may elevate himself to one of those tackle positions, but we'll need an OG/C and a OT/G tweener in next year's draft.

I expect us to still have needs all over the place: at NT, OG, C, OT, DE, CB, and OLB. Kicker, too.

Possibilities also include QB and/or WR, depending on performances this year.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 29, 2010 at 17:37:16 ]
I've learned my lesson over the years and don't bother doing pre-season picks.
Prince Amukamura...

GOOO BIIIIG REDDD!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

Shoot I remember when Greg Hardy was a prospect in the 1st round and Dan Williams was considered 3rd round at best.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Shoot I remember when Greg Hardy was a prospect in the 1st round and Dan Williams was considered 3rd round at best.

It's more for the benefit of those who know very little about who are the best to come -- expected, that is, for next year.

As noted in the original post, these are most certainly going to change, and surely some changes are going to be dramatic. But for those who just want a heads up, it's a nice reference.

It's more for the benefit of those who know very little about who are the best to come -- expected, that is, for next year.

As noted in the original post, these are most certainly going to change, and surely some changes are going to be dramatic. But for those who just want a heads up, it's a nice reference.

And this reference gets a big from me. I always enjoy these, and cant wait for season and look forward to the propect game day threads.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Oh no doubt, I'm not trying to knock your post OTC, its just funny to me on how quickly the rankings change throughout the year. But I agree, good reference indeed!!!!

I wonder if the 2011 draft will have a QB going #1 overall again??

Oh no doubt, I'm not trying to knock your post OTC, its just funny to me on how quickly the rankings change throughout the year. But I agree, good reference indeed!!!!

No worries, Kolohe.

If Luck plays as good or better than Sam Bradford did as a redshirt Soph. -- and he declares -- then quite possibly.

It will definitely be interesting to see how opinions shift as well this season.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

No worries, Kolohe.

If Luck plays as good or better than Sam Bradford did as a redshirt Soph. -- and he declares -- then quite possibly.

It will definitely be interesting to see how opinions shift as well this season.

You don't see Mallet over Luck as possibly #1 overall?? But yah Luck is probably the NFL ready, strong arm, good mechanics, we will most likely have no chance at Luck, funny but true.

IMO if the following QB's declare I see the top 3 QB's as:

Andrew Luck
Ryan Mallet
Pat Devlin

If Smith doesn't work out, I hope we can get our hands on one of them. I'm not really high on Jake Locker for some reason.