LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Like or Dislike Mays pick?

Like or Dislike Mays pick?

Like, along with the other 88% of you.
wheres the "Love" option? i was hoping he would make it to our 2nd rounder and jumping up and down when we took him. hes gonna be a monster back there with Goldson.
  • Pintor73
  • Info N/A
i was surprised to see him there in the second round he has the speed and hit;s like a truck he'll put more fear into receivers than roman did and with goldson back there also will make him better he's better than people give him credit for singletary will make him a pro bowl safety can't wait to see him lay out one of those smurf receivers from seattle!!!!!!!!!
I loved it. I was hoping for earl thomas, but taylor mays will be a great fit I think for us...
What I don't like is that at an elite level in the playoffs his pass coverage will be exposed. It is like a built in defect in the defense that will have to be covered up and accounted for.

He will look like a fast Michael Lewis.
I think he's a less-polished version of Michael Lewis, but with a higher ceiling. Fundamentally, I think Mays needs a lot of work. My biggest complaint with him was that he often goes for the knockout blow and fails to wrap up. He usually got away with it in the college game, but that won't work in the pros. That should get worked out fast though.

I was hoping that we'd draft Lewis' replacement and I can't complain with Mays. He has a ton of natural ability and I have a lot of confidence in the coaching staff's ability to develop our defensive players.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
What I don't like is that at an elite level in the playoffs his pass coverage will be exposed. It is like a built in defect in the defense that will have to be covered up and accounted for.

minus concussions
This pick is something to BUILD upon...

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by fister30:
I don't like the mays pick but I don't hate the kid or wish him to play poorly. The mays pick felt like he was the best available safety at the time. I am not sure if mays was the best available player when he was picked.

If the niners had shut down corners and a ball hawking FS I would feel differently about mays.

To tell you the truth I liked Morgan Burnett over Mays, but I still love the Mays pick.

This...I'm a huge Morgan Burnett fan and to see him go to Packers was

I was hopin' Niners trade down 10-15 spots and draft Burnett. He is like Goldson 2.0
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

i think the knock on his coverage is blown out of proportion. if you saw him at USC he was pretty much playing centerfielder because of his speed. they only had one safety back there because he can cover so much ground. i think with him having help in the backfield he will be just fine

Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
I loved it. I was hoping for earl thomas, but taylor mays will be a great fit I think for us...

I was right there with you, although i keep liking this pick more and more to whoever pulled the strings on that one
I think you guys know where I stand on this pick. It was a bad selection.

We picked up a guy with poor coverage skills that many scouts think will have to transition to LB in the NFL. One bad Senior Bowl week, serving roasted Taylor Mays as the Duck of the Year, should have been enough to persuade the team that, while he looks pretty, he's not a good football prospect in the NFL.

Did we just burn our 49th overall for an "in-the-box" safety. Give me a guy who can cover someone, take good angles, and make a wrap-up tackle. You can keep the Adonis body and pretty face.

P.S. Many Mays supporters, overwhelmed by the highlight reel hits, just don't understand the idea that coaching can only do so much to solve the problem with stiff hips. This is a BIG, BIG DEAL.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on May 12, 2010 at 12:39:09 ]
All players have to adjust in the NFL. That is why coaching staffs are so important. Mays will have to adjust his USC game to play at the pro level. Better to have 4.3 speed for the changes he will face.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I think you guys know where I stand on this pick. It was a bad selection.

We picked up a guy with poor coverage skills that many scouts think will have to transition to LB in the NFL. One bad Senior Bowl week, serving roasted Taylor Mays as the Duck of the Year, should have been enough to persuade the team that, while he looks pretty, he's not a good football prospect in the NFL.

Did we just burn our 49th overall for an "in-the-box" safety. Give me a guy who can cover someone, take good angles, and make a wrap-up tackle. You can keep the Adonis body and pretty face.

P.S. Many Mays supporters, overwhelmed by the highlight reel hits, just don't understand the idea that coaching can only do so much to solve the problem with stiff hips. This is a BIG, BIG DEAL.

Of course it is.

However, we have had physical limitation issues with another player out of college, Mr. V.D. So Davis couldn't improve on his rock hands and body? But he did, and was able to improve on those physical attributes by becoming more limber and practicing continually on catching the ball. It took great pains, but he did it and last year it showed!

I understand the biology and physiology of your point, but stiff hips can be improved on especially if he may have no structural limitation to full range of motion in the joint. Why can't he focus on developing the range of motion in those hips? Why can't he practice continually exploding off the "twist" motion. I believe it is a combo of technique and physical ability. If he can stretch and work those joints exceeding his limit of range, then I believe he can improve on the "stiff hips" diagnosis. A combo of coaching and physical regime can help for sure.

Why do you got hate, man? You know I am kidding, but your point as well as those other professional scouts has been well taken. It is a legit beef.

I believe he can change it. I respect what you are saying, but I hope he proves all you nay-sayers wrong. I believe many have underestimated his ability to cover.

We shall see...

Oh, someone get this boy some JOINT JUICE!!!! Let's send a box compliments of the Zone. I will chip in...are you in MadDog?

I keed, I keed...
You know, I will take Ronnie Lott's view of him a whole lot more than any other draft guru....he has paid close attention to Mays, and is so stoked that the Niners grabbed him.

And his "hips" thing....everywhere I have seen has his "hips" as fluid.
Share 49ersWebzone