LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 334 users in the forums

Like or Dislike Mays pick?

I don't like the pick. Is an in-the-box-strong safety really super important in today's NFL? In a pass-oriented league? I don't think so.

The Niners already have two young, big safeties that could do at least okay at the in the box safety position....Reggie Smith and Curtis Taylor. Either one could probably be at least okay on the running downs.

I didn't want to draft a QB, but if Clausen were there at #49, then I would have been excited to at least see if the Niners would have drafted him. I think Mays plays a not so important position. Free Safeties are much more important. Ball hawking safeties are desired!
hes a niner now so im on board.............................for now
We can hope his college play resulted from what his coaches wanted--playing 20 yards off the line. He has the skills to cover and to wrap-up. The worst may be that he simply has little experience at covering and wrapping-up.

All in all, I don't think he'll start in Week 1. Which means the Niners will have at most two new starters this year. It's not clear that any CB the Niners picked would have started immediately.
Originally posted by swim4speed:
I don't like the pick. Is an in-the-box-strong safety really super important in today's NFL? In a pass-oriented league? I don't think so.

The Niners already have two young, big safeties that could do at least okay at the in the box safety position....Reggie Smith and Curtis Taylor. Either one could probably be at least okay on the running downs.

I didn't want to draft a QB, but if Clausen were there at #49, then I would have been excited to at least see if the Niners would have drafted him. I think Mays plays a not so important position. Free Safeties are much more important. Ball hawking safeties are desired!

I completely agree with your point re: strong safeties in today's NFL. It's a dying position. Ideally you'd want two guys like Ed Reed as your safeties - two ball hawks that can cover man to man and lay a big hit when necessary to break up the play. It gives you so many options on how to divide the field on obvious passing downs. Mays is going to be a liability on passing downs (which nowadays is EVERY down) because he lacks the fluidity to cover in space and is not a natural ball hawk.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
We can hope his college play resulted from what his coaches wanted--playing 20 yards off the line. He has the skills to cover and to wrap-up. The worst may be that he simply has little experience at covering and wrapping-up.

All in all, I don't think he'll start in Week 1. Which means the Niners will have at most two new starters this year. It's not clear that any CB the Niners picked would have started immediately.

I heard a lot of different theories about why Mays seemed to drop off this year. He led the team in tackles playing 20 yards off the line, but failed to be much of an impact in the passing game (I think he had 1 int and 6 passes defensed - correct me someone if I'm wrong). Carroll said the lack of playmaking was because teams didn't throw his way, but if he's 20 yards off the line you'd think he'd be in a position to make a play on a couple passes thrown away from him. The tape shows that he's just not going to be a FS - he lacks sideline to sideline speed or instincts for the ball. And if he can't play FS then he's a liability on the field given the league's pass first, pass often mentality.
Originally posted by valrod33:
f**k the seahawks

Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
f**k Pete Carroll
LOL EVERYONE ON HERE IS TALKING ABOUT LAST YEAR!!! NO ONE TALKS ABOUT HIS JUNIOR YEAR!!!! WHEN HE COULD & WAS COVERING MOFO'S LIKE NO OTHER!!! LOOK AT TEBOW. s**tTY SENIOR YR COMPARED TO HIS JUNIOR YEAR.

Don't worry about his flaws. They can & will be easily corrected especially if he is such a student of the game like everyone has said even ken norton jr!! come the f**k on! this was a great pick! it will pan out perfectly. yes he will struggle this year, but it's a learning year for him, and 99% of all rooks.

HE WILL BE SICK!!

GOLDSON & MAYS = THUNDER DOME!!!!!
I love the pick if he came out last year he would have been a top ten pick probable to the Raiders. We have him and he will be a pro-bowler.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:
Quote:

Is he adding 15 pounds of muscle to make a move to OLB? if so then yes. If not then no!

Or lose 15...maybe that will help him with some quickness and change in direction.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by krizay:
Quote:

Is he adding 15 pounds of muscle to make a move to OLB? if so then yes. If not then no!

Or lose 15...maybe that will help him with some quickness and change in direction.

i dislike the mays pick like no other but if mays loses 15lbs it would be muscle. dude is a chiseled 230

• Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TX9R:
strongly dislike. we passed a lot of good CBs which we need more than a skinny linebaker who can't cover.

I don't know if you can say we passed on a lot of CBs. Javier Arenas came off (who I liked as a pick) and then no CBs until the 3rd round. Personally, I would have guessed we take Arenas but I read that next years CB class is supposed to be good. Besides, now that we have him, you know there's guna be some good hits coming out of our backfield! and Mays skinny?? Please...
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Like... a prospect of that size/speed may never come around again. Combine this with his intelligence, work ethic, and commitment to the game. He started at USC 3.5 years as a cornerstone of that defense.

In the mid-second round his special teams contribution and run support alone will prevent him from being a complete bust. We just need to use him creatively to eliminate/reduce his role in coverage as he could be a Pro Bowl in-the-box safety.

I think many of his biggest faults were a result of the coaching he received at USC and the role he was asked to play. He was specifically utilized as an intimidator that didn't man-up in coverage or play the ball. With time to learn behind Michael Lewis, he has the chance to evolve into a different type of safety.

+1 Carrols an ass. He spent the year looking for nfl coaching gigs and screwing his talent out of being a 1st rounder. I hope Mays punishes him.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
I'm tryin' to like this selection, but I can't till I'm convinced he can play SS. Yes, you can't teach 4.3 speed, but you can't teach quickness and change of direction either. I would have loved dropping down 10-15 spots and grabbing Morgan Burnett. That would have been perfect. Morgan can hit ppl in the mouth and is a ball-hawk safety that we need. Oh well, I really hope Mays proves me wrong and become an excellent safety at the pro-level. He has the talent, but I really think he needs to drop 10-12lbs to gain some quickness and lateral movement. Right now, I see him as a Roy Williams with speed clone. Without quickness, a DB will get burned time and time again no matter how fast he is.

i'm just hoping he makes a similar (but faster) transition like v.davis.

...when davis first got here he looked stiff and mechanical, not very fluid.
i dont know if he started doin yoga or what, be he looks MUCH MORE natural now.
hopefully the same happens with mays
Very excited to see how he comes out and plays for the 49ers, If he can learn when to wrap up and when to go for the kill shot i think he will be a force on this D! I see good things from him!
I like the Mays pick, didnt know much about him leading up to the draft. Watched a few highlight reels and thought this guy was a monster and could do some serious damage.

Research a bit more and you find the downsides. Stiff hips, which means dropping back is a problem and then coverage would be a problem, in the NFL that'll get amplified big time.

But is this really a problem that cant be fixed? Bad habit that cant be stopped? Or as we all know he was directed to play a certain role, a role that played very much to his strengths? So then it was more the system he was in then himself?

Can he be coached to turn and go in coverage. Some say hes too slow, yet he was one of the fastest or thee fastest DB in the draft? Looking at our schedule and the division we are in Mays is gonna need every bit of top speed and every bit of brain cell to go stride for stride against some of the fastest: Smith in Carolina, DeAngelo Williams

Cover SB winning QBs: Brees, Matt Hasselbeck (appearance)

and every bit of strength to go hit some of the NFLs top shelf playmakers: Larry Fitzgerald, Steven Jackson, Darren Sproles.

This guy has HUGE up side if the 9ers coaching staff and break down any bad habits and get him ready for the NFL. I think the kid can be taught the right way.
Share 49ersWebzone