LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 232 users in the forums

Like or Dislike Mays pick?

Like or Dislike Mays pick?

I just wanted to create this poll because I have been reading a lot of different opinions on the pick.

I personally like it just because of the value and potential. I understand the criticisms, I just think its worth the risk.
f**k the seahawks
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Bigger, faster, and younger than Lewis. He's a perfect replacement who should be starting soon and contributing on ST right away.
I would not have liked the Mays pick with either #13 or #17, but at #49, I like it a lot.

Great value at that spot and now he'll have a chip on his shoulder and something to prove.. I especially like how Lott is his mentor.
f**k Pete Carroll
Like. More than anything because it took BALLS. This kid could flame out, or he could be in the Pro Bowl every year. Obviously, I'd prefer the latter.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
I would not have liked the Mays pick with either #13 or #17, but at #49, I like it a lot.

Great value at that spot and now he'll have a chip on his shoulder and something to prove.. I especially like how Lott is his mentor.

summed up my feelings exactly
We needed a saftey. We got the best one available. Possibly the best in the draft , at least an upgrade over Mlewis. Most tackles on USC since TroyP...Best overall Athlete
In his defence I will say it looked like he was coached to play for the HIT more than the ball. In so many of his highlights he seems to be almost letting them catch it then making them pay. Didnt he get indicted by congress or somthing for ''head hunting''. If you are in tight coverage it can be hard to get a big hit in whereas if you play back a little and get an angle...POW. Lights Out
Certainly with his speed and size teaching him to be ''shut down'' is not out of the question. He just has to stop blaming Carroll and start Beating him. Excuses dont go over well these days
Originally posted by valrod33:
f**k the seahawks

Love it. Not expected to start and didn't get coached to play the right way. He can learn this year and work on his coverage and tackling to become a force in the near future.

Mays was a guy i did not want in the first round, but with Allen off the board in the 2nd it was a great pick.

[ Edited by Thorhawk on Apr 25, 2010 at 15:45:45 ]
At #49 overall in the 2nd round he is worth it. His upside is huge. I don't think you have much to lose. I believe he can be super effective in the box at least. So play him there.
I'm not gonna lie. I didn't want him. I wanted Reshad Jones or Nate Allen instead. But Mays is a niner now and I'm not gonna hate. He has my support %100 now. It's like the first day in class, everyone's got an A so far.

If our DB coaches can turn Mays into the vicious beast I think he can become, then they will deserve promotions and raises.

[ Edited by kronik on Apr 25, 2010 at 16:08:30 ]
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

Having Lott as his mentor makes me feel better about it. I was justing hoping we could get some speed in coverage in this draft.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
He wont be able to cover slot receivers like an Earl Thomas type of safety can, but he can cover tight ends which is a spot that has killed the 49ers in the past. He has great range for a safety and can cover more ground than Michael Lewis any day. I really like the pick as the 49ers now have two safeties that are interchangable in Goldson and Mays. When those two start together, I think the 49ers will have a very versatile defense.
Share 49ersWebzone