LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Pumped for 2010!

Since the draft is over and our roster has become more clear I have found that I am more pumped about this team than any 9er team in the last decade.

The OL is FINALLY fixed

The return game is fixed

I love the addition of Laboy, I think it's the right call to show some confidence in the guys we have. We didn't need to add a 1st or 2nd round passrusher adding Laboy a high energy, young OLB is a nice addition to Brooks, Lawson, Haralson.

We have added some nice depth at RB, ILB (N.Bowman is a bad man beast ILB core for the next decade!), OLB, WR, TE, S, QB (Carr is good #2 if Smith works out as #1)

Now we may still have some needs here and there (CB, FB, reserve NT) but what team doesn't? I don't think the needs there are that gaping Clements returns at CB, Payman is an upgrade over Hudson and I think Bly and or Harris will be brought back as well. And this team will likely make another move or 2 before TC.

I feel very good about this offseason and the way the team has added some young, tough long term starters is Davis/Iutapi/Mays a long term answer at RS in Ginn. Alot of speed with Ginn/Wiliams/Vann. The team was close last year couple that with familiarity with the offensive scheme FINALLY our additions plus the healthy returns of LT Staley and CB Clements and this team is ready to make a move!

Baalke has done a nice job thus far, in order to make it a great start he needs to get Willis, V.Davis, Goldston, Franklin extended long term, and give guys like Lawson, Morgan 2-4 year deals just as he did Brooks. Sign all our draft picks on time for TC.

Finally I believe the team needs to hire Jerry Rice and Steve Young. Both have expressed interest in working with our young stars and why the F not? We hired Tom Rathman and Ray Brown which I love BTW. We brought Dwight Clark back to work on the business side of the organization.

I say Hire Rice as the WR coach and either fire Sullivan or put him in a quality control role or something. Hire Young as either the assistant QB coach or a special offensive assistant or something. I also think we need to go ahead and promote Mike Johnson to assitant OC so he can get ready to take over for Raye in a couple years.

Sorry for the length, thoughts?

[ Edited by matt49er on Apr 25, 2010 at 14:07:59 ]
I'm very excited for this season! My only slight concern is that all of the NFC West had excellent drafts, and Seattle especially locked in on some great players, which worries me for the future.
I'm extremely pumped for the season to start too!
Originally posted by Niners23:
I'm very excited for this season! My only slight concern is that all of the NFC West had excellent drafts, and Seattle especially locked in on some great players, which worries me for the future.

Think of the difference between Pete Carrol and Mike Singletary. Who's team do you think will play harder, longer?

Since his first off season, Singletary has gone to work on the players already on the roster to make them physically and mentally tougher.

Now he's added some guys who are already tough, physical players.

Look out. Niners gonna knock some fools out. IMHO.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

Which one's Singletary & which one's Carroll? (Hint: Carroll's not leading.)

BTW, you have flat worn out this gif this weekend. Not that I'm complaining.

And I thought Al Davis would be in a colon, not just a semi-colon. (Best one liner of the weekend.)
My favorite off season in years. I believe Anthony Davis should play LT. Mike Iupati, LG. Move Staley to RT. Big offensive firepower this year and years to come. Taylor Mays should start at Safety, opposite Goldson. Ahmad Brooks should start this year too. A solid defense gets even better. Ginn and Vonn makes our special teams exciting. This draft and free agency has Samurai Mike's paws all over it.
amen the roster looks pretty sound
Im pumped, not just for 2010, but for the future(2011 and beyond).

We have a great nucleus put together. with guys like Nate, Justin Smith, Crabtree, and such signed long term, now we just need to extend and i believe we will, Vernon, Willis, Gore and Goldson.

Its bright, not just 2010 but beyond.
Originally posted by matt49er:
Since the draft is over and our roster has become more clear I have found that I am more pumped about this team than any 9er team in the last decade.

The OL is FINALLY fixed

The return game is fixed

I love the addition of Laboy, I think it's the right call to show some confidence in the guys we have. We didn't need to add a 1st or 2nd round passrusher adding Laboy a high energy, young OLB is a nice addition to Brooks, Lawson, Haralson.

We have added some nice depth at RB, ILB (N.Bowman is a bad man beast ILB core for the next decade!), OLB, WR, TE, S, QB (Carr is good #2 if Smith works out as #1)

Now we may still have some needs here and there (CB, FB, reserve NT) but what team doesn't? I don't think the needs there are that gaping Clements returns at CB, Payman is an upgrade over Hudson and I think Bly and or Harris will be brought back as well. And this team will likely make another move or 2 before TC.

I feel very good about this offseason and the way the team has added some young, tough long term starters is Davis/Iutapi/Mays a long term answer at RS in Ginn. Alot of speed with Ginn/Wiliams/Vann. The team was close last year couple that with familiarity with the offensive scheme FINALLY our additions plus the healthy returns of LT Staley and CB Clements and this team is ready to make a move!

Baalke has done a nice job thus far, in order to make it a great start he needs to get Willis, V.Davis, Goldston, Franklin extended long term, and give guys like Lawson, Morgan 2-4 year deals just as he did Brooks. Sign all our draft picks on time for TC.

Finally I believe the team needs to hire Jerry Rice and Steve Young. Both have expressed interest in working with our young stars and why the F not? We hired Tom Rathman and Ray Brown which I love BTW. We brought Dwight Clark back to work on the business side of the organization.

I say Hire Rice as the WR coach and either fire Sullivan or put him in a quality control role or something. Hire Young as either the assistant QB coach or a special offensive assistant or something. I also think we need to go ahead and promote Mike Johnson to assitant OC so he can get ready to take over for Raye in a couple years.

How about Ronnie Lott as assistant secondary coach. Preferably, to teach and train Taylor Mays

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:

Can't wait to see what the next few years bring. I wouldn't expect a ton out of our rookies this next year (outside of Iupati and maybe Davis) but we definitely look more competitive than we have in a while. Although our division foes also had GREAT drafts, I'd say other offseason movement (i.e. Warner's departure) has placed us in the driver's seat this upcoming season.
We already were a team that was very difficult to run against, how much more now that we have Mays? He's faster and bigger than most running backs...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by matt49er:

The OL is FINALLY fixed

The return game is fixed

I knew it would take this draft to put us over the hump. We now have a team that can compete with any other team on any given Sunday. That alone get's me excited. Here's to a great season and future seasons to come.
Share 49ersWebzone