LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 156 users in the forums

We Now Have the Most Powerful RB Corps in the NFL, Hands-Down

Just to simplify the conversation a little, LeGarrette Blount has decided that his chances of making the squad are better in Tennessee, and has agreed to join the Titans as an UDFA. Can't blame him...with the departure of Lendale White, he could be one of the starting RBs.

Blount to the Titans

So Robinson's job is slightly more secure, although I think he's still on the bubble and at risk of being in the last cuts the team makes before the season as a matter of numbers.

[ Edited by 49erThrowback on Apr 25, 2010 at 17:38:05 ]
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Just to simplify the conversation a little, LeGarrette Blount has decided that his chances of making the squad are better in Tennessee, and has agreed to join the Titans as an UDFA. Can't blame him...with the departure of Lendale White, he could be one of the starting RBs.

Blount to the Titans

So Robinson's job is slightly more secure, although I think he's still on the bubble and at risk of being in the last cuts the team makes before the season as a matter of numbers.
That was a wise choice on his part. He would have been lucky to make the PS.

Also, the 49ers picked up two other "character issue" guys besides Blount. I'm glad to see he won't be another guy that Singletary may have had to baby sit.
Whatever, didn't cost nothin'. He may not have even made the roster anyway. Good choice for him.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:

Blount to the Titans

That was a wise choice on his part. He would have been lucky to make the PS.

Also, the 49ers picked up two other "character issue" guys besides Blount. I'm glad to see he won't be another guy that Singletary may have had to baby sit.

yeah, this was kinda my feeling as well. Excited by his potential, but we had a real logjam of his type of player, and if we get too overconfident trying to reform all these guys we're going to end up with some real trouble at some point. So far we've done really well in getting guys who are basically good characters but made dumb decisions and putting them in supportive situations. But if all of a sudden the entire team is a bunch of hotheads....

I wish Blount the best of luck. Don't think he's a bad kid necessarily, but a bit of a project for us perhaps...
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
OK you guys cannot, cannot be serious!!!!! Moving Blount and Dixon to FB?!?!?!?!?!
Norris has lost it?!?!?!?!?!?! You guys need to stop smoking the huka.

What evidence do you have that Norris has lost it? It wasnt his fault Gore got hurt, it wasnt his fault Coffee couldnt run behind him, It wasnt his fault They ditched a FB idea once Alex came in to run the spread the rest of the year.

This is the start of a FB's prime. And you want to ditch him, when you have no idea what you are talking about? If we are keeping the power game, we are keeping Norris. No Way we ditch him for a 6th and UDFA, who havent shown how to block at all.

WTF!!!!!!!

Why do you like Norris? Did you watch our pathetic run game last year? Without Gore's 5 long runs last year, Gore only averaged about 3.5 yd/carry. Norris wasn't opening any holes, and whenever he's in the game, the defense KNOWS that we are running, because run blocking is all Norris can do. Sing says he wants to be 'balanced'. To be BALANCED the defense can't know that you are running. You have a choice of putting in a 3rd WR, a 2nd TE or a FB. With the WR or TE you have the pass threat, with Norris you have little pass threat - they know it's a run.

You think that football players get better when they reach 32 years old? Statistics are that most players only last 4-5 years and retire before age 30. Only the rare exceptions last past age 32. Norris is slower than ever, and he never was very good. Plus Norris costs an extra ~$million. But I admit I never liked Norris, I like versatile players (so we can be balanced - run or pass).

I seems that the niners agree; they keep drafting blocking TE's and big backs, who would replace Norris (ideally). Walsh never had a one-dimensional FB like Norris. Few teams in the league carry a one-dimensional blocking FB.
Originally posted by maxsmart:
OK you guys cannot, cannot be serious!!!!! Moving Blount and Dixon to FB?!?!?!?!?!

What evidence do you have that Norris has lost it? It wasnt his fault Gore got hurt, it wasnt his fault Coffee couldnt run behind him, It wasnt his fault They ditched a FB idea once Alex came in to run the spread the rest of the year.

This is the start of a FB's prime. And you want to ditch him, when you have no idea what you are talking about? If we are keeping the power game, we are keeping Norris. No Way we ditch him for a 6th and UDFA, who havent shown how to block at all.

WTF!!!!!!!

Why do you like Norris? Did you watch our pathetic run game last year? Without Gore's 5 long runs last year, Gore only averaged about 3.5 yd/carry. Norris wasn't opening any holes, and whenever he's in the game, the defense KNOWS that we are running, because run blocking is all Norris can do. Sing says he wants to be 'balanced'. To be BALANCED the defense can't know that you are running. You have a choice of putting in a 3rd WR, a 2nd TE or a FB. With the WR or TE you have the pass threat, with Norris you have little pass threat - they know it's a run.

You think that football players get better when they reach 32 years old? Statistics are that most players only last 4-5 years and retire before age 30. Only the rare exceptions last past age 32. Norris is slower than ever, and he never was very good. Plus Norris costs an extra ~$million. But I admit I never liked Norris, I like versatile players (so we can be balanced - run or pass).

I seems that the niners agree; they keep drafting blocking TE's and big backs, who would replace Norris (ideally). Walsh never had a one-dimensional FB like Norris. Few teams in the league carry a one-dimensional blocking FB.

FB's for reasons unknown prove to have very long careers, as they lay down hits period. Look it up. Norris has a good 4 years left. If Singletary drafted for a power running game (obvious that he did), then he needs a FB. Norris is staying get over it.

Walsh had no need for a one dimensional FB (obvioulsy WC offense doesnt call for it). Few teams in the league carry a one dimensional FB, because obviously only a few teams run a traditional power game, its all spread. Its like the Coryeal O that Raye is running, and that Singletary prefers to run. Just like what Nov Turner runs...all calling for a FB. To have a power running game, you have to have a FB. Just because we draft a big back doesnt mean he can be made into a FB in TC....you got to be more realistic than that.

Oh and for the record Gore was doing fine till he missed some games due to injury (actually one not so good game, then a monster game, then injury), when he came back we were all spread, where Norris hardly played...so Alex could be comfortable.

[ Edited by ninerlifer on Apr 25, 2010 at 21:15:42 ]

enough said!!!!!!!!!!!wow
[video][/video]

Originally posted by maxsmart:

WTF!!!!!!!

FB's for reasons unknown prove to have very long careers, as they lay down hits period. Look it up. Norris has a good 4 years left. If Singletary drafted for a power running game (obvious that he did), then he needs a FB. Norris is staying get over it.

Walsh had no need for a one dimensional FB (obvioulsy WC offense doesnt call for it). Few teams in the league carry a one dimensional FB, because obviously only a few teams run a traditional power game, its all spread. Its like the Coryeal O that Raye is running, and that Singletary prefers to run. Just like what Nov Turner runs...all calling for a FB. To have a power running game, you have to have a FB. Just because we draft a big back doesnt mean he can be made into a FB in TC....you got to be more realistic than that.

Oh and for the record Gore was doing fine till he missed some games due to injury (actually one not so good game, then a monster game, then injury), when he came back we were all spread, where Norris hardly played...so Alex could be comfortable.

IMO, none of know how well Dixon can block. One TC may or may not be enough time for the coaches to have a comfort level with Dixon's blocking and releasing Norris. The added benefit with Dixon is that he will quickly prove that he is a better runner and receiver than Norris. His lead blocking will thus become less crucial than that of Norris because the defense, having to account for Dixon with the ball, won't be able to zero in on Gore.
We have some power at RB. But where is the change up speed?
AP and Gerheart would be my vote with us being #2.
I really hope Coffee pans out and was just a casualty of bad run blocking last year. A 2.7 yards/carry just won't cut it.
Originally posted by ads_2006:

THIS. IS. AWESOME.
Share 49ersWebzone