There are 102 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers sign WR Scott Long

Originally posted by KID9R:
And a 42" vert

Plus a 6.45 cone, which was tops at the combine. The guy may not be a Randy Moss blazer with 4.46 40, but he's very quick and agile, and at 6'2" that's just fine with me.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Scott Long, Louisville
Height: 6-2. Weight: 216.
Projected 40 Time: 4.54.
Combine 40 Time: 4.46.
Vertical: 41.5. Broad: 10-3.
Projected Round (2010): 6-7.
3/1/10: An impressive showing at the Combine - a 4.46 40, a 41.5-inch vertical and a 10-3 broad jump - all at 6-2, 216.
The measurables on this guy are exciting. I think injury concerns are a big reason he went undrafted. Camp will be very very interesting this year with all of these receivers. Crabtree, Morgan, and Ginn are locks, but beyond that everything is up for grabs. We will probably carry 5 receivers on the 53 man so there are 2 spots for the taking. We will probably also stash 1-2 receivers on the PS.

Jones and Hill: The Incumbents
Zeigler: PS vet, probably his last chance to make the roster
Williams: Shifty, fast slot receiver with return skills
+ 3 UDFAs

Personally, I hope Williams shows up as a legit slot guy as his highlights would suggest. 40 times aside, he looks much more explosive/elusive in full pads than Hill. I would not be surprised to see Jones cut for financial reasons unless he really shows up big. Long might be able to make a push for the 5th spot as the physical possession guy behind Morgan if he can stay healthy.
Originally posted by CornellU49er:
The measurables on this guy are exciting. I think injury concerns are a big reason he went undrafted. Camp will be very very interesting this year with all of these receivers. Crabtree, Morgan, and Ginn are locks, but beyond that everything is up for grabs. We will probably carry 5 receivers on the 53 man so there are 2 spots for the taking. We will probably also stash 1-2 receivers on the PS.

+ 3 UDFAs

Personally, I hope Williams shows up as a legit slot guy as his highlights would suggest. 40 times aside, he looks much more explosive/elusive in full pads than Hill. I would not be surprised to see Jones cut for financial reasons unless he really shows up big. Long might be able to make a push for the 5th spot as the physical possession guy behind Morgan if he can stay healthy.

I dunno man, I'm a bigger fan of Long than Williams. Like you said, health was the major reason he fell, and if he can stay healthy, I think he can supplant Brandon Jones, because money talks, and Jones is earning a lot to sit on the bench right now ...
Originally posted by mayo63:
Our new Arnez Battle.

I think the Niners have signed the best crop of undrafted free agents of any team in the NFL:
J. Brown
L. Blount
S. Long
L. Vann
P. Stoudamire
C. Maragos
S. Hodge

A brilliant list!!!!!

Most likely to make the roster: Stoudamire
Most likely to make the practice squad: Blount, Brown, Vann, Maragos
Least likely to make practice squad: Hodge
Hardest cut to make for the 53 man: Maragos
Most likely to be plucked off the practice squad by another team: Vann
Player the fans will love to cheer for the most: Maragos

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 25, 2010 at 14:36:23 ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I think the Niners have signed the best crop of undrafted free agents of any team in the NFL:
J. Brown
L. Blount
S. Long
L. Vann
P. Stoudamire
C. Maragos
S. Hodge

A brilliant list!!!!!

Hardest cut to make for the 53 man (emotionally for coaches): Maragos
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Our new Arnez Battle.

Originally posted by Niners23:
Originally posted by CornellU49er:

+ 3 UDFAs

I dunno man, I'm a bigger fan of Long than Williams. Like you said, health was the major reason he fell, and if he can stay healthy, I think he can supplant Brandon Jones, because money talks, and Jones is earning a lot to sit on the bench right now ...

I agree with you. I am optimistic about both of them. In both cases its a huge long shot, especially with Jerry "I need 5 years to get a receiver not named Boldin or Crabtree ready to play" Sullivan still coaching. In a perfect world Williams and Long step up big time and supplant Hill and Jones respectively.
J. Brown
L. Blount
S. Long
L. Vann
P. Stoudamire
C. Maragos
S. Hodge

A brilliant list!!!!!

Hardest cut to make for the 53 man: Maragos

No love for Long there MadDog?
Originally posted by KID9R:
Scott Long, Louisville
Height: 6-2. Weight: 216.
Projected 40 Time: 4.54.
Combine 40 Time: 4.46.
Vertical: 41.5. Broad: 10-3.
Projected Round (2010): 6-7.
3/1/10: An impressive showing at the Combine - a 4.46 40, a 41.5-inch vertical and a 10-3 broad jump - all at 6-2, 216.

J. Brown
L. Blount
S. Long
L. Vann
P. Stoudamire
C. Maragos
S. Hodge

A brilliant list!!!!!

Hardest cut to make for the 53 man (emotionally for coaches): Maragos

What do you like about Stoudamire? I've never seen him play. How come we like Phillip Adams or whatever his name was more than Stoudamire that we drafted him over him in the 7th? What about Long? You don't think he has any potential?
Originally posted by Niners23:
Pretty excited about this guy, he basically dominated the combine for WR. He's a low risk-high reward type player, and we're lucky to get him as a UDFA.

Scott Wright had him as the 2nd best UDFA. At one point we had 3 of the top 7 with Blount and Jarrett Brown.
championship