There are 158 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Roster Revisited

Originally posted by Karma:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
great read, great break-down and analysis!

We really do have good depth on this team, and it keeps getting better. There's going to be some tough fights for roster spots this summer and I think we're going to see some surprise cuts. I'm a bigger fan of MRob than a some on this board, for what he brings to ST, but it looks like, with all the Lb's, DB's, and RB's we brought on in the last few days, he's going to have to really justify his spot on the team. Him, and others as well.

Can't wait to see how it all shakes out! Super stoked for this season!

I think the coaches are going to give Coffee, Dixon, and even Blount long looks at Robinson's ST positions to see what kind of drop-off they would have. I'm right there with you as a fan of Robinson. I was hoping we drafted him that year and I love his leadership and personality, but teams that don't constantly improve will constantly fail, so I could deal with him losing his spot if these young guys can really tote the rock for us.

yeah, its going to be a tough fight for the RB's this year. it looks like we got some good runners--some really good runners--but it might come down to what else they can do. I think of MRob as a Troy Brown kind of player, a guy who is kept around more for his role in the locker room than for his play on the field (although, granted, Brown really contributed on the field). I think Sing will have to be really blown away by Dixon or Blount to give them MRob's spot. I think Blount is on the fast track for the practice squad and Dixon is going to be in direct competition with Coffee. THAT is going to be an interesting fight...

I agree completely. I think Blount will be safe on the PS and he can have a year to get into the best shape possible (since there have been questions about his fitness levle in college) and he can show that he is committed to being the player and PERSON that Singeltary demands. If he comes out of it with a new outlook, we essentially got an extra second round pick next year!

def. makes sense. It might be Coffee who is the most in danger of losing his spot...I mean, the coaches seem to be behind him, but its really hard not to read the Dixon/Blount pickups as an attempt to strengthen the RB position...and how many runners can you keep on the roster, while maintaining Gore as the feature back?
great read, great break-down and analysis!

We really do have good depth on this team, and it keeps getting better. There's going to be some tough fights for roster spots this summer and I think we're going to see some surprise cuts. I'm a bigger fan of MRob than a some on this board, for what he brings to ST, but it looks like, with all the Lb's, DB's, and RB's we brought on in the last few days, he's going to have to really justify his spot on the team. Him, and others as well.

Can't wait to see how it all shakes out! Super stoked for this season!

I think the coaches are going to give Coffee, Dixon, and even Blount long looks at Robinson's ST positions to see what kind of drop-off they would have. I'm right there with you as a fan of Robinson. I was hoping we drafted him that year and I love his leadership and personality, but teams that don't constantly improve will constantly fail, so I could deal with him losing his spot if these young guys can really tote the rock for us.

yeah, its going to be a tough fight for the RB's this year. it looks like we got some good runners--some really good runners--but it might come down to what else they can do. I think of MRob as a Troy Brown kind of player, a guy who is kept around more for his role in the locker room than for his play on the field (although, granted, Brown really contributed on the field). I think Sing will have to be really blown away by Dixon or Blount to give them MRob's spot. I think Blount is on the fast track for the practice squad and Dixon is going to be in direct competition with Coffee. THAT is going to be an interesting fight...

I agree completely. I think Blount will be safe on the PS and he can have a year to get into the best shape possible (since there have been questions about his fitness levle in college) and he can show that he is committed to being the player and PERSON that Singeltary demands. If he comes out of it with a new outlook, we essentially got an extra second round pick next year!

def. makes sense. It might be Coffee who is the most in danger of losing his spot...I mean, the coaches seem to be behind him, but its really hard not to read the Dixon/Blount pickups as an attempt to strengthen the RB position...and how many runners can you keep on the roster, while maintaining Gore as the feature back?

True, but remember Coffee had just as much hype as these two guys last year, and probably more. Yeah, Dixon and Blount tore up the college game, but so did Coffee. Let's hope Coffee's experiences last year have made him a better back, and if not we now have our eggs in three baskets!
Originally posted by NickSh49:
There is no way this team gives up on Balmer, Snyder, or Brandon Jones. Those guys are locks to make the squad.

Brandon Jones flat-out cannot stay healthy, and it's why so many Titans fans were glad to have been rid of him, this dude is finished. I see Kyle Williams earning a spot simply based on his punt-returning talents (which we tried to use Jones for who failed at it miserably last season). We're pretty locked up at WR right now and Jones (even when healthy) wasn't even deemed worthy enough to play.

Balmer probably stays, but Brandon Jones, Mark Roman, and Snyder are instant-cuts (Snyder might go to the practice squad).
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
There is no way this team gives up on Balmer, Snyder, or Brandon Jones. Those guys are locks to make the squad.

Brandon Jones flat-out cannot stay healthy, and it's why so many Titans fans were glad to have been rid of him, this dude is finished. I see Kyle Williams earning a spot simply based on his punt-returning talents (which we tried to use Jones for who failed at it miserably last season). We're pretty locked up at WR right now and Jones (even when healthy) wasn't even deemed worthy enough to play.

Balmer probably stays, but Brandon Jones, Mark Roman, and Snyder are instant-cuts (Snyder might go to the practice squad).

I don't know the rule exactly, but I'm pretty sure Snyder doesn't qualify for the practice squad.

You might be right about Jones. I also wonder what Ziegler will add this year. I didn't include him in my original post, but he might be a darkhorse candidate for the 5th WR spot.
I think Paymah might loose his roster spot with the addition of Bly. If Paymah was brought in mainly for ST than Vann is a much better fit there. Paymah's role can be filled by Mays. ST coverage should be very strong with Mays, Smith, McKillop, and Bowman.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
I think Paymah might loose his roster spot with the addition of Bly. If Paymah was brought in mainly for ST than Vann is a much better fit there. Paymah's role can be filled by Mays. ST coverage should be very strong with Mays, Smith, McKillop, and Bowman.

That makes a ton of sense. I really don't know much about Paymah, but if his only value is ST, then he should be expendable. If Vann can cover kicks as well as he returns them then there is no question, but if Paymah has value as a nickel or dime corner, we may have to keep him with such a shallow unit.
Originally posted by AC49er:
Good read

love it
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Adam Snyder will be a lock to make the team. That last spot will most likely be Wragge vs. Boone as Snyder can play both guard and tackle positions. Baas can play center and both guard spots and is much better than Wragge.

Your defense numbers are messed up. The team will carry at least 10 defensive backs. They will carry either 6 DL and 9 LB(which I think they will do) or 7 DL and 8 LB.

This is the way I see it:

Defense: (Usually 25 players)

DL: (6)
Starters: RDE Justin Smith, NT Aubrayo Franklin, LDE Isaac Sopoaga
Reserves: Ray McDonald, Kentwan Balmer
Position Battle: RJF vs. Demetric Evans vs. Derek Walker vs. Khalif Mitchell

LB: (9)
Starters: WILL Parys Haralson, TED Takeo Spikes, MIKE Patrick Willis, SAM Manny Lawson
Reserve ILB: Scott McKillop and Navorro Bowman
Reserve OLB: Ahmad Brooks and Travis LaBoy
Position Battle: Matt Wilhelm vs. Diyral Briggs vs. Martail Burnett

DB: (9)
Starting Safeties: Dashon Goldson and Michael Lewis
Starting Corners: Shawntae Spencer and Nate Clements
Reserve Safety: Taylor Mays, Reggie Smith
Reserve Corners: Tarell Brown and a free agent(Dre Bly, Walt Harris, etc.)
Position Battle: Curtis Taylor vs. Karl Paymah vs. Keith Smith vs. Phillip Adams vs. LeRoy Vann vs. UDFAs
Paymah has fringe starter abilities. It seems he's had some health problems which has been a key factor in his bouncing around the league. He should be a quality dimeback that could potentially push Brown a bit (though Brown is just better physically).

I don't think there's any way Boone ends up taking Snyder's spot as the #2 RT/swing G, unless Boone has a camp for the ages. And with Sims, don't forget 2 seasons ago when everyone thought he was the second coming of Kwame Harris at RT. He played very well at LT however so his spot should be secure this season.
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Adam Snyder will be a lock to make the team. That last spot will most likely be Wragge vs. Boone as Snyder can play both guard and tackle positions. Baas can play center and both guard spots and is much better than Wragge.

Your defense numbers are messed up. The team will carry at least 10 defensive backs. They will carry either 6 DL and 9 LB(which I think they will do) or 7 DL and 8 LB

Agreed on Snyder. Don't forget about Wallace in the discussion for the last spot, although most of us have lol.

10 DBs seems to be the norm. Also I think we've gone with 7 DL and 8 LBs the past few years.
Let go of Coffee, M.Robinson, B.Jones, and Ziegler. These guys have added nothing in terms of offense and I believe Robinson can easily be replaced on ST with a defensive guy.
  • Crown
  • Veteran
refreshing post.

i have a feeling that blount may be tried at FB...just sayin
Originally posted by 23zack80:

Your defense numbers are messed up. The team will carry at least 10 defensive backs. They will carry either 6 DL and 9 LB(which I think they will do) or 7 DL and 8 LB.

This is the way I see it:

Defense: (Usually 25 players)

DL: (6)
Starters: RDE Justin Smith, NT Aubrayo Franklin, LDE Isaac Sopoaga
Reserves: Ray McDonald, Kentwan Balmer
Position Battle: RJF vs. Demetric Evans vs. Derek Walker vs. Khalif Mitchell

LB: (9)
Starters: WILL Parys Haralson, TED Takeo Spikes, MIKE Patrick Willis, SAM Manny Lawson
Reserve ILB: Scott McKillop and Navorro Bowman
Reserve OLB: Ahmad Brooks and Travis LaBoy
Position Battle: Matt Wilhelm vs. Diyral Briggs vs. Martail Burnett

DB: (9)
Starting Safeties: Dashon Goldson and Michael Lewis
Starting Corners: Shawntae Spencer and Nate Clements
Reserve Safety: Taylor Mays, Reggie Smith
Reserve Corners: Tarell Brown and a free agent(Dre Bly, Walt Harris, etc.)
Position Battle: Curtis Taylor vs. Karl Paymah vs. Keith Smith vs. Phillip Adams vs. LeRoy Vann vs. UDFAs

Regardless of who wins the last OL bench spot, they will have earned it. I wouldn't mind SNyder, Sims, Baas, and Wallace or Wragge on the bench, as long as they stay there!

Your defensive numbers could be right. I had them keeping 9 DBs, because for the past two years they've kept 10 because Rossum was listed as a DB, but he never played there. We'll see how they stack the roster after the summer, but it is very possible that the keep 6-9-10 or some other derivation. I think Sing will have his work cut out deciding between the 53 best in camp, which is worlds away from where we were when Nolan took over!
Originally posted by TexasNiner84:
Let go of Coffee, M.Robinson, B.Jones, and Ziegler. These guys have added nothing in terms of offense and I believe Robinson can easily be replaced on ST with a defensive guy.

Coffee? Seriously? You'd give up on a guy that averaged like 5 touches per game? I'm assuming you think Blount is a better back. Glad you don't make the decisions.
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
Originally posted by TexasNiner84:

Coffee? Seriously? You'd give up on a guy that averaged like 5 touches per game? I'm assuming you think Blount is a better back. Glad you don't make the decisions.

Who's being paid more? And yes, I think he is a better, bigger, more fysical back. Gore was hurt and we couldn't count on Coffee for s**t....., that is all.