There are 126 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Roster Revisited

Originally posted by Rhino_So:
Good job Karma. I like how you are optimistic yet realistic.

Thank you very much.
Originally posted by CornellU49er:
Originally posted by Karma:
Originally posted by 49erFanOrlandoFl:
BTW They have signed 3 UDFA wide recievers There will be a Battle Royale in TC only Crabtree and Morgan are secure

I think Jason Hill and Ted Ginn are safe as well. No way they hand Jerry Sullivan three or four UDFAs and say, "What can you do with this?"

Hill produces when he is on the field and is improving his downfield blocking. He is my pick for most improved this year. He could be our Steve Breaston.

Barring any major injury or lapse in judgment, Ginn is a lock as well. They traded a 5th rounder for him; they wouldn't cut him loose without a one year test-drive.

Ginn, yes. He is lock to make the team. Hill? Ignoring your general feelings on the subject, what specifically in the last 12 months makes you think he is a lock to make the roster? He barely saw the field. He had one good game against Tennessee. If the team sees something in Williams, Hill could be gone.

You definitely could be right and I might just be overly optimistic about Hill, but a few things stand out to me.

1. When he's on the field, he makes plays. He just hasn't seen the field much. I don't know if he was in Jerry Sullivan's doghouse or if it was a matter of fitting him into an offense geared to run the ball and the fact that he was burried behind Morgan, Bruce, and then Crabtree. Granted, we started passing more after Smith took over, but even then they kept Davis and Walker on the field instead of him.

2. Sullivan is a well documented stickler as a position coach and Hill has, or at least should have, learned the nuances of his coaching demands. It might be counter-productive to start over with a rookie.
guys in danger: Robinson, Snyder, Baas, Wragge, Jones, Hill, Norris

guys who might get the cut in 2011: Clements, Lewis, Balmer, Rachal

guys who are FA's after 2010: Alex, Evans, Hill, McDonald, Goldson(Re-Sign ASAP), Davis(Re-Sign ASAP), Lawson, Wilhelm, Spikes(Retires?), Morgan(Re-Sign), Sims, Franklin(Hope he gets extended)

Main Guy in last yr of deal in 2011: PATRICK WILLIS

Basically we have the core signed, guys like Crabtree, Justin Smith, Staley, A.Davis(Soon to be), Iupati(Soon to be), Mays(Soon to be), Bowman(Soon to be), Haralson, Jennings, Lee, Gore, Heitmann, Nedney, Clements, Lewis, Dixon(Soon to be), Coffee, Walker, Byham(Soon to be), Sopoaga, McKillop, Brooks, Spencer, Brown

And we have guys who must be extended soon, Willis, Gore, Vernon, Goldson.

But i like the direction we are going in.
I like McDonald, I hope we resign him because I like calling him Big Mac when he makes a play
  • fan49
  • Veteran
nice post.... i do have to say i see coffee and robinson struggling themselves with keeping spots with these rooks..
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
guys in danger: Robinson, Snyder, Baas, Wragge, Jones, Hill, Norris

guys who might get the cut in 2011: Clements, Lewis, Balmer, Rachal

guys who are FA's after 2010: Alex, Evans, Hill, McDonald, Goldson(Re-Sign ASAP), Davis(Re-Sign ASAP), Lawson, Wilhelm, Spikes(Retires?), Morgan(Re-Sign), Sims, Franklin(Hope he gets extended)

Main Guy in last yr of deal in 2011: PATRICK WILLIS

Basically we have the core signed, guys like Crabtree, Justin Smith, Staley, A.Davis(Soon to be), Iupati(Soon to be), Mays(Soon to be), Bowman(Soon to be), Haralson, Jennings, Lee, Gore, Heitmann, Nedney, Clements, Lewis, Dixon(Soon to be), Coffee, Walker, Byham(Soon to be), Sopoaga, McKillop, Brooks, Spencer, Brown

And we have guys who must be extended soon, Willis, Gore, Vernon, Goldson.

But i like the direction we are going in.

I know that Clements has a big contract on the books, but I can't see him getting cut this year. We really don't have enough depth at the position.

I really don't see Rachal in any danger. It seemed like he improved much more than Baas last year. If we had another Guard to take his place, maybe I could see it.

The contract situations combined with the CBA issues really scares me. Davis, Willis, Goldson, and (if he plays well) Alex Smith will be extended, but if we don't resign Franklin, Morgan, McDonald, and maybe even Lawson, we will be back to trying to build this team back up. In Paraag I trust
great read, great break-down and analysis!

We really do have good depth on this team, and it keeps getting better. There's going to be some tough fights for roster spots this summer and I think we're going to see some surprise cuts. I'm a bigger fan of MRob than a some on this board, for what he brings to ST, but it looks like, with all the Lb's, DB's, and RB's we brought on in the last few days, he's going to have to really justify his spot on the team. Him, and others as well.

Can't wait to see how it all shakes out! Super stoked for this season!

Wow, very nice job, Karma.

There are a couple changes I would make...

First, I think the only locks to make it as receivers are Crabs, Morgan, and Ginn. The other two spots will be a fight. I think ultimately Hill and Jones will make it. Either Williams or Vann will get put on the practice squad to be brought up if Ginn gets hurt.

Second, you forgot Cody Wallace. I think he and Wragge will be in a fight for the reserve guard/center position.

Last, I think Balmer makes the team as a reserve. He may be put on the PUP to start the season, but he will make it as a reserve at least for this year. RJF will have to fight for a spot. It may depend on how well he takes to the NT spot.

Again, though, great job.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

We really do have good depth on this team, and it keeps getting better. There's going to be some tough fights for roster spots this summer and I think we're going to see some surprise cuts. I'm a bigger fan of MRob than a some on this board, for what he brings to ST, but it looks like, with all the Lb's, DB's, and RB's we brought on in the last few days, he's going to have to really justify his spot on the team. Him, and others as well.

I think the coaches are going to give Coffee, Dixon, and even Blount long looks at Robinson's ST positions to see what kind of drop-off they would have. I'm right there with you as a fan of Robinson. I was hoping we drafted him that year and I love his leadership and personality, but teams that don't constantly improve will constantly fail, so I could deal with him losing his spot if these young guys can really tote the rock for us.
Originally posted by jb49ers80:

First, I think the only locks to make it as receivers are Crabs, Morgan, and Ginn. The other two spots will be a fight. I think ultimately Hill and Jones will make it. Either Williams or Vann will get put on the practice squad to be brought up if Ginn gets hurt.

Second, you forgot Cody Wallace. I think he and Wragge will be in a fight for the reserve guard/center position.

Last, I think Balmer makes the team as a reserve. He may be put on the PUP to start the season, but he will make it as a reserve at least for this year. RJF will have to fight for a spot. It may depend on how well he takes to the NT spot.

Actually, I think the OL reserve spots are going to be a real fight. Baas (especially since he only has one year left), Snyder, Wallace, Wragge, and Boone are fighting for two or three spots.

You have to believe that Boone will be PS again. The flexibility of Snyder, Wragge, and Wallace give them an advantage. Baas has starting experience and may even start at LG. Wallace really needs to show something this year.
Originally posted by jb49ers80:

I appreciate the praise!

Your points are valid.
1. I have debated Hill's place on this team, but I can see that he will have to earn his way back on the roster. I do think Williams is a legitimate receiver AND returner and he will definitely push Jones and Hill to play their best. Vann is an absolute lightning bug. I really hope they find a place for this kid; he can make our Sundays VERY exciting.

2. I really wonder how the coaches feel about Wallace. I didn't mention him because I thought they would prefer to keep veterans with experience on the bench with two rookies starting, but if Wallace has or does show them he can play well if called upon, Wragge could certainly be gone.

3. I really like Balmer. He has the size and speed to be very effective, and I really like his engaging personality. I am rooting for him to make a full recovery and prove all his critics wrong, I just think he will be under pressure as soon as he is back on the field.

4. I almost put Ricky in the position battle category, and I probably should have, but I'm curious to see how he does as a NT and I think the team is very excited about his progress. I have just seen no signs that the team is giving up on this kids massive potential.

Again, thank you for reading my diatribe!

I think the coaches are going to give Coffee, Dixon, and even Blount long looks at Robinson's ST positions to see what kind of drop-off they would have. I'm right there with you as a fan of Robinson. I was hoping we drafted him that year and I love his leadership and personality, but teams that don't constantly improve will constantly fail, so I could deal with him losing his spot if these young guys can really tote the rock for us.

yeah, its going to be a tough fight for the RB's this year. it looks like we got some good runners--some really good runners--but it might come down to what else they can do. I think of MRob as a Troy Brown kind of player, a guy who is kept around more for his role in the locker room than for his play on the field (although, granted, Brown really contributed on the field). I think Sing will have to be really blown away by Dixon or Blount to give them MRob's spot. I think Blount is on the fast track for the practice squad and Dixon is going to be in direct competition with Coffee. THAT is going to be an interesting fight...
Originally posted by teeohh:
I like McDonald, I hope we resign him because I like calling him Big Mac when he makes a play

Talent isn't his problem, it's staying healthy. It's been a problem for him since college. Reggie Smith too for that matter.

yeah, its going to be a tough fight for the RB's this year. it looks like we got some good runners--some really good runners--but it might come down to what else they can do. I think of MRob as a Troy Brown kind of player, a guy who is kept around more for his role in the locker room than for his play on the field (although, granted, Brown really contributed on the field). I think Sing will have to be really blown away by Dixon or Blount to give them MRob's spot. I think Blount is on the fast track for the practice squad and Dixon is going to be in direct competition with Coffee. THAT is going to be an interesting fight...

I agree completely. I think Blount will be safe on the PS and he can have a year to get into the best shape possible (since there have been questions about his fitness levle in college) and he can show that he is committed to being the player and PERSON that Singeltary demands. If he comes out of it with a new outlook, we essentially got an extra second round pick next year!
Originally posted by foreign49er:
Originally posted by teeohh:

Talent isn't his problem, it's staying healthy. It's been a problem for him since college. Reggie Smith too for that matter.

They are two of the more frustrating players because of that. They both have 3rd round or better talent, but we hardly get to see it, although McDonald was fine this year.