LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 208 users in the forums

Will Davis be Better than Gaither?

Will Davis be Better than Gaither?

Originally posted by kstolai:
I hope so
If Davis shows commitment yes. If like Gaither the work ethic turns out to be an issue he may be a similar player( which isn't that bad really). If Anthony Davis applies himself he can be a lot better than Gaither IMO.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
You gotta question why the Ravens wanna trade Gaither. How good could the guy actually be? Sky is the limit for Davis

True

They want to trade him because Oher is their future and they probably don't want to pay 2 LTs with starter salaries. Plus, his stock is high right now and it's better to get something while you can.

The sky might be the limit for Davis' potential, but that doesn't guarantee he'll perform at a high level in the NFL like Gaither has proven capable of doing. Not to draw a comparison between the two because I don't think they're anything alike, but look at Kwame Harris. He was also a high draft pick (not as high as Davis, obviously) with a lot of potential, but never panned out. The same could happen with Davis (or any player, for that matter).
Originally posted by susweel:
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Ravens want to trade Gaither away, and no team in the NFL was ready to give up a 2nd rounder for him. I have a friend who is a Ravens fan, and he believes that Gaither is damaged goods. He has injury issues that will keep him from play all 16 games (at high level) every year.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
I hope so
I think he will be similiar to Gaither. Real good when he's healthy and motivated but that's only going to be 70% of the time.

We're seeing it more and more nowadays. Big lineman that can't stay in shape end up getting hurt and ran out of town.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by susweel:

Thank you. Now I don't need to dig out my daughters magic 8-ball.
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
9ers re-sign Gaither and probably loose one of next year's FA. The perception is off IMO.

ya cause we would be way over the salary cap. oh wait

The Yorks are not Debartalos. I am pretty sure everyone is aware that there is no salary cap this year. Remember management set their own budget already.

Do you really think Gaither would cost that much more than Davis

YES
Originally posted by 49erRider:
You gotta question why the Ravens wanna trade Gaither. How good could the guy actually be? Sky is the limit for Davis

True

They want to trade him because Oher is their future and they probably don't want to pay 2 LTs with starter salaries. Plus, his stock is high right now and it's better to get something while you can.

No one has ever been able to attribute one phrase from Ozzie Newsome that proves they want to trade him at all. He's an unsigned RFA and they obviously want to keep him because he is their best LT and they still have his rights. I, and a lot of "experts" don't think Oher is going to be a great LT and will probably play his career as a top RT, what he was drafted for (he did not play well at LT when Gathier got hurt last year).

As for paying two LTs they are not and have a while before they have to make that decision. Newsome is known for making his rookies play out their contract before giving big contracts so they could sign Gathier to a 2 or 3 year contract and see how it plays out before they have to decide which one will be the one to get the big LT contract (or if Oher is a RT). There is nothing wrong with having two good tackles. Especially the situation they have in Baltimore with a very good RT and a very good LT, and they are being paid accordingly.

• KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by 49erRider:

True

No one has ever been able to attribute one phrase from Ozzie Newsome that proves they want to trade him at all. He's an unsigned RFA and they obviously want to keep him because he is their best LT and they still have his rights. I, and a lot of "experts" don't think Oher is going to be a great LT and will probably play his career as a top RT, what he was drafted for (he did not play well at LT when Gathier got hurt last year).

As for paying two LTs they are not and have a while before they have to make that decision. Newsome is known for making his rookies play out their contract before giving big contracts so they could sign Gathier to a 2 or 3 year contract and see how it plays out before they have to decide which one will be the one to get the big LT contract (or if Oher is a RT). There is nothing wrong with having two good tackles. Especially the situation they have in Baltimore with a very good RT and a very good LT, and they are being paid accordingly.

There is no way Gaither would pass up the chance to hit FA and get the biggest deal possile. Why would he? Cause Ozzie would tell him "I'm not sold on you yet, so just wait a little bit ok"

And its not that they have to pay 2 LT's, its that they don't need to pay 1 Big LT contract because Oher's deal is a bargain for several more years.

They have to save all the money they can, they were up against the cap before this year and when the new CBA is in, they will still have to sign:

Haloti Ngata
Fabian Washington
Chris Carr
Dawan Landry
Marshal Yanda
Jared Gaither
LeRon McClain
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,800 for SnakePlissken.
Ughh, Gaither is a f**king Jonas Jennings waiting to happen, Davis has more upside even at Gaither's pre-established value.
Baalke and Singletary both met with this guy before they drafted him. If they thought enough of him to move up and give up a 4th round draft pick; he is going to be our future OT.

Gaither will not get any attention from the 49ers.

So I say "Yes"; Davis will be better than Gaither, simply because Davis is a 49er and Gaither will not.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Baalke and Singletary both met with this guy before they drafted him. If they thought enough of him to move up and give up a 4th round draft pick; he is going to be our future OT.

Gaither will not get any attention from the 49ers.

So I say "Yes"; Davis will be better than Gaither, simply because Davis is a 49er and Gaither will not.

well no kidding they're not intrested in him now! Its a done deal.

I hope more than anyone that Davis will be better than Gaither. I just think that if we gave up a 2nd and a 4th for Gaither, our draft could have been Thomas, Iupati, Gaither.
Share 49ersWebzone