There are 118 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Did we have a 'needs' based draft?

Did we have a 'needs' based draft?

Or did we still hold true to our BPA philosophy?

-9fA
next yr we should draft strictly for bpa. only really positions i can say is a need are cb, a pass rusher especially if we dont resign manny and a nt. oh and god willing alex doesnt fail then we'll especially need a qb. no way we'll be in position to draft locker anyways
YES
We did what a lot of smart teams do in our position (coming off of an 8-8 record with only a couple of missing pieces required for a playoff run): addressing needs.

We're now in position to actually grab FA acquisitions and draft a new QB (if Alex doesn't pan out) during the next off-season. Most of the 'youth-build' positions on this team are complete at the 'core' areas.
YES, and that rarely works!
Definitely, but most teams did. This freshly minted "best player available" approach is hogwash, and is rarely pursued -- especially in the first round. Out of the 1st 32 picks in the draft, how many were "BPA"????????? very very few.
I think everybody drafts based on needs. BPA is rarely followed and does not make financial sense.
Originally posted by susweel:
I think everybody drafts based on needs. BPA is rarely followed and does not make financial sense.

Agree
Originally posted by kstolai:
Originally posted by susweel:

Agree

Yeah... BPA is total BS...

if a team really follows it... Colts and NO could be drafting QBs....

If you have 3 great RBs, do you really think they are thinking of another RB.

They say BPA because when they set their draft board, they already considered need and excluded certain positions.

Theny they rank them and pick the next player highest in their board.

Thats why they say BPA... but in reality you would find certain players in that list eventhough Mel Kiper Jr. said he is the can't miss guy of the draft.
MFPA

Most Fysical Player Available!!!

This draft had Mike Singletary written all over it, and i LOVED IT!!!
Yeah, 18, it did work out that way, but nonetheless, had we taken Fisical OLB, S, RB, or CB as our first two picks, this draft would have been another bust. Finally building out the OL with first rd picks, is going to make this a really good team for next decade.
Now, at least, we have a shot. Formerly, we entered a game, and unless against the Lions or Rams, we didn't. This is a huge move, based on need, and with good picks we did the one thing no one on the 49ers has done in almost 8 yrs. We built our OL. Turns out these boys are ALL Fysical, but first they were our most important needs, right down to Mays, maybe(i hope), bowman.
As a long time opponent of BPA, i believe it works only in the context that valrod alluded to: At the postitions of utmost need, we drafted BPA. If you do it like that , sure, i agree, BPA works. If it is the best player on the board and we already have 3 of them, then NO, BPA doesn't work. Generally BPA works if you already have a championship team, are loaded everywhere, then sure, BPA works great. Problem for us, is we forgot to build the lines, esp OL, until this yr. Now all we need to do is get just one guy from snyder, baas, rags, heitmann, to turn it around and play truly professional football. All those guys are good backups, but they have all started at one time or another, and that is why our O has been in the crapper. Not now, baby. Watch iupati become one of the best players on this team.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
As a long time opponent of BPA, i believe it works only in the context that valrod alluded to: At the postitions of utmost need, we drafted BPA. If you do it like that , sure, i agree, BPA works. If it is the best player on the board and we already have 3 of them, then NO, BPA doesn't work. Generally BPA works if you already have a championship team, are loaded everywhere, then sure, BPA works great. Problem for us, is we forgot to build the lines, esp OL, until this yr. Now all we need to do is get just one guy from snyder, baas, rags, heitmann, to turn it around and play truly professional football. All those guys are good backups, but they have all started at one time or another, and that is why our O has been in the crapper. Not now, baby. Watch iupati become one of the best players on this team.

I would argue that when you have a championship need, that is the time to go towards a more needs based draft.

IMO, if you're at the point where you're 1-2 positions away from Superbowl contention, I would think that, that is when you should reach a little.

-9fA
Originally posted by valrod33:
YES